This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Ok, so I thought we're meant to use a colorimeter. But that doesn't work coz in practise the ppt doesnt sink 2 the bottom. So how are we meant to measure the intensity of light that goes through the remaining solution. I can't do this!!! Please reply if you have any methods. Thanks!
snake_n_shades
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
if you want to measure the absorbance of the remaining solution then filter off the remaining solution using filter paper........i think this will work but i'll have to check it next time i'm in the lab
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Thank you! I think that would work. Either that or centrifuge it so that the ppt becomes a lump at the bottom. I'll put both methods in my write-up that way I've got a better chance of being right! Lol. Cheers.
snake_n_shades
Report 17 years ago
ok i was in the lab today.......heres what i found:

anyone thinking that denatured albumen gives a negative result on a protein test, think again. even fully denatured protein went a nice purple when i tested it

if you put it through filter paper it takes ages, and theres several problems:
1 - the filter paper absorbs the solution
2 - there is some water left over from the solution that the albumen has precipitated out of

i can see using a centrifuge might work, remember you get a change in volume when the albumen precipitates out, and there is still the issue of the water remaining from the albumen solution

i still think that a visual method is the easiest and most accurate!!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Ooooh thanks! So do you study this kinda stuff? U doin a biochem degree or sumthin?
snake_n_shades
Report 17 years ago
lol no i'm doin AS level biology!!!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Serious? U allowed to go into the labs whenever you want? U must have good equipment then! Wot school u in?
snake_n_shades
Report 17 years ago
yeah for the last week we've been allowed into the labs, even when other teachers are doing lessons, its been great

im at lancaster gramma
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Thats so unfair! My skools useless my teacher wont even help me!! Sam x
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
i am so stuck on this essay. its in for 2moro. what should i write for my prediction?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
You guys are very fortunate: I'm an external candidate taking these exams at an independent girls school. I've not been in a school science lab for a good many years, and am studying these subjects on my lonesome, outside of work. In short I'm a mature student who works in a hospital lab and studies outside of business hours. No wonder I'm exhausted.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you're planning on going to uni this year, would any of these financial reasons stop you?

Not being able to work now to save up for uni (85)
14.07%
Reduced household income due to coronavirus means I can't afford to go (50)
8.28%
Lack of part-time jobs to support me while I'm at uni (75)
12.42%
Lack of graduate job prospects when I finish uni (67)
11.09%
Other reasons are stopping me going (79)
13.08%
Nothing is stopping me going (248)
41.06%

Watched Threads