Can I self-teach the violin? Watch

Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm 19 and I've always wanted to play the violin since I was a child but was never given the opportunity. Now an adult I want to re-kindling the things that I've longed to do before I regret it. I can't afford violin lessons and the nearest teachers are centuries away, however, I am willing to put in a lot of effort into teaching myself the violin, I'm not naive I know it'll be very difficult but I'll determined to put the work in. Do you of any books/sources I could use to give me a boost in the right direction? Do you know of anyone who has self-taught the violin, did they succeed?
Jaqera
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Of course you can!

I recommend using the internet, especially YouTube. Hundreds of others would have asked the same question and I am certain people have made lessons aimed for people such as yourself!
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jaqera)
Of course you can!

I recommend using the internet, especially YouTube. Hundreds of others would have asked the same question and I am certain people have made lessons aimed for people such as yourself!
Out of interest, are you a violinist?

I've googled 'self-teach violin' and quite a lot of professional violinists say it's near impossible to self-teach the violin as the instruments it so fine and intricate that even tuning the violin years of practice. I doubt the university that I'll soon be going to will have many violin players. All this sounds disheartening and I don't know where to turn. I was hoping to buy a violin but I'm not too sure anymore
planetconwy1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Can't Touch This.)
I'm 19 and I've always wanted to play the violin since I was a child but was never given the opportunity. Now an adult I want to re-kindling the things that I've longed to do before I regret it. I can't afford violin lessons and the nearest teachers are centuries away, however, I am willing to put in a lot of effort into teaching myself the violin, I'm not naive I know it'll be very difficult but I'll determined to put the work in. Do you of any books/sources I could use to give me a boost in the right direction? Do you know of anyone who has self-taught the violin, did they succeed?
YES!

Wow this was exactly me a year ago!

I self taught myself violin, I just got a feel for it, and started doing scales and learning notes from a book. I had no teacher.

At first I was crap as you would expect, but you do get better.
I know its not much of an achievement but I passed Grade 1 this summer which I'm thrilled about haha.

So in short, yes you can.
Niassuh
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Out of interest, are you a violinist?

I've googled 'self-teach violin' and quite a lot of professional violinists say it's near impossible to self-teach the violin as the instruments it so fine and intricate that even tuning the violin years of practice. I doubt the university that I'll soon be going to will have many violin players. All this sounds disheartening and I don't know where to turn. I was hoping to buy a violin but I'm not too sure anymore
Maybe you could learn from someone at uni? you'll be surprised to know how many people can play violin (compared to flute anyway)
Fishbulb25
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Can you already read music? That helps a lot... I'm trying to do the same thing, finding it quite difficult. My main instrument is piano and so I taught myself guitar and now i can read grade 6 music. Only took a couple of years. It's kinda the same but much harder because there aren't frets and bowing is very new to me.

I'm very slowly getting to grips with Moonriver from an old grade 2 syllabus though!

It's never too late to start!! Don't give up hope!
RamblinBoy10
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You sure can, I'm currently learning the violin myself, about 5 months or so now, it takes determination, patience and practise. I practise about 3 - 4 hours a day, though fortunately I can already read music, and if you can't I suggest you start learning to do so. You won't regret it, when you can play a passage from one of your favourite pieces it feels so satisfying, which will then only urge you to continue! Youtube is a great starting place.

Good Luck.
Rep:
?
(Original post by planetconwy1)
YES!

Wow this was exactly me a year ago!

I self taught myself violin, I just got a feel for it, and started doing scales and learning notes from a book. I had no teacher.

At first I was crap as you would expect, but you do get better.
I know its not much of an achievement but I passed Grade 1 this summer which I'm thrilled about haha.

So in short, yes you can.
Well Done, that is a good achievement in the next 7 years or so (if you keep it up), you'd have pretty much mastered the violin

I really don't know where to begin. Where can I buy the violin? What book did you use, do I need any accessories? Do you know of any specific youtubers I could look to?

Also how old are you?

Thanks! x
Rep:
?
(Original post by RamblinBoy10)
You sure can, I'm currently learning the violin myself, about 5 months or so now, it takes determination, patience and practise. I practise about 3 - 4 hours a day, though fortunately I can already read music, and if you can't I suggest you start learning to do so. You won't regret it, when you can play a passage from one of your favourite pieces it feels so satisfying, which will then only urge you to continue! Youtube is a great starting place.

Good Luck.
Are there any books you recommend I buy? Any specific youtubers?
FeelTheMagic
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm also trying to teach myself but haven't had much luck. Please let me know if you find anything really helpful!
manic_fuzz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Absolutely, if you keep at it! I started like a year ago and ended up buying the 'Violin for Dummies' book, which is alright but not the best (though it does come with a CD-ROM!)

although, i haven't tried playing for ages... and when i do it's usually in the middle of the night :mmm: i should really get my friend to give me some lessons :lol:
Libby18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes you can I managed it in primary school! just use the books, and nowadays I'm sure you can access alot of stuff online. The main thing to get familiar with the strings and the fingers. Then practice the scales (and being able to read music) then everything else falls into place. I managed to get up to grade 3 equivalent.
Good luck!
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Despite what you said, there will definitely be violin players at your university.

If I were you I'd wait until then, find the Music society and ask them to put you in contact with someone. Lol they're students, they won't charge you much, they'll be local and you'll be much better for it.

I don't know how you can self teach tbh, I wouldn't attempt it (not until you've mastered the basics at the very least, after which it mostly just becomes a case of more practise).

Though if you're determined, Abracadabra are usually used for beginners strings, for example http://www.nextdaymusic.co.uk/product/9780713693652/ although even these will usually encourage accompaniments and will have a piano part to go with the violin sections. I'm not sure what book to recommend for learning alone, though I'm sure it would be perfectly adequate.

Can you read music?
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
Despite what you said, there will definitely be violin players at your university.

If I were you I'd wait until then, find the Music society and ask them to put you in contact with someone. Lol they're students, they won't charge you much, they'll be local and you'll be much better for it.

I don't know how you can self teach tbh, I wouldn't attempt it (not until you've mastered the basics at the very least, after which it mostly just becomes a case of more practise).

Though if you're determined, Abracadabra are usually used for beginners strings, for example http://www.nextdaymusic.co.uk/product/9780713693652/ although even these will usually encourage accompaniments and will have a piano part to go with the violin sections. I'm not sure what book to recommend for learning alone, though I'm sure it would be perfectly adequate.

Can you read music?
Thank you, I can't read music. I used to read (only vaguely) as a child.
planetconwy1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well Done, that is a good achievement in the next 7 years or so (if you keep it up), you'd have pretty much mastered the violin

I really don't know where to begin. Where can I buy the violin? What book did you use, do I need any accessories? Do you know of any specific youtubers I could look to?

Also how old are you?

Thanks! x
I bought my Violin from a local music shop, it was about £90. It came with the bow, obviously haha and some rosin, and I bought some black stuff to stop the pegs slipping when I tune it (Very Handy). I also bought a shoulder mount thing, but never bothered to attach it so I have never used it, and have not missed it.

For some reason the strings are really expensive like £8-£9.

Try just playing along to some classical music, and you can get the grade one scales from the ABRSM website.

Oh and I'm 18 haha.
Leigh303
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I taught myself up to grade 3, then got a teacher at school. now i'm about to take grade 7 and leader of a couple of groups

Have also taught myself descant/treble recorder up to grade 7+ (latter in under a year) and the piano, so you can teach yourself quite a few instruments really!

£8-9 is pretty cheap strings, has to be said. I would also use a shoulder pad unless you have a very short neck, because you will find you are tensing your neck to keep the instrument in place without one, and eventually this could lead to aches & pains. if you really don't want to use it, put a big scarf there instead
infintywhirls
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have learnt the violin for over 10 years so I will be happy to give you any advice if you want to PM me. I would say it would be very hard to begin with, and you have to be careful of learning the right position and any other skills as if you get this wrong at the beginning, it could become a bad habit that is hard to change in the future. Perhaps if you know anyone that plays the violin, you could ask them for a few tips such as holding the violin and the bow? But I think with the right amount of detirmination, anyone can learn an instrument

You need to also learn how to read sheet music, as this is pretty important for playing in the violin (unlike the guitar & piano where you can learn chords). So perhaps start here by searching online?

I would say have a look online or local stores for a violin. Cheap starter kits (and I wouldn't buy those from Argos..) from a violin shop will be around £100, but you be able to find a cheaper one second hand from online. When getting a bow, ensure that the stick isn't too curved and get some rosin with it. A shoulder pad is needed, however, you can make one of these easily using a small towel or sponge tied on with elastic bands.

Strings vary a lot in price. £8 as stated above is actually quite cheap, but for a beginner it is probably fine. From when I started learning however, my teacher always made me get dominant strings, but they cost around £8 each (~£40).

A lot of the books that I started on just had 'beginner' in the title (incidently I am selling a few if you're interested.. :P )

Anyways, good luck and feel free to ask any questions
scherzi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I learnt the violin for about 10 years, wouldn't recommend self-teaching unless it's absolutely the only option. Although, I don't know of any self-teaching material so I couldn't make a complete judgment. You need to get violin technique exactly right from the start, to which there are many aspects, otherwise it can become a pain later on. And if you want to actually become good, don't be half-arsed in practicing (which is easy to do if progress is slow, even if you are enthusiastic).
bramz19
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I really, really wouldn't. Picking up the wrong habits at the start can screw up your technique for a long time. But I guess, if you are really careful, then you could. People on here seem to have done it, so go for it, but please be careful!
Fiftytwocards
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Why couldn't the American woman play violin?

She didn't know which chin to stick it under.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (48)
23.19%
My career doesn't need one (28)
13.53%
I'm sick of studying (43)
20.77%
I can't find a course I want to do (5)
2.42%
I don't know enough about them (15)
7.25%