The Student Room Group

What English Accent do you speak in?

It's hard to define what your true linguistic identity is unless someone tells you, but based on your personal and external observations what sort of accent/dialect do you use to speak English?

I'm Japanese, but I've been told that I speak a hybrid of "standard British" and North-Eastern American. I believe my English is mostly British, but I can only pronounce certain words (like "actually") in American.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Extra fast Mancunian accent. Feels bad, man.
Reply 2
Yeah, I'm pretty much identical to you, OP.
Original post by Radomu
It's hard to define what your true linguistic identity is unless someone tells you, but based on your personal and external observations what sort of accent/dialect do you use to speak English?

I've been told that I speak a hybrid of "standard British" and North-Eastern American. I believe my English is mostly British, but I can only pronounce certain words (like "actually") in American.

R.P, but thats because of my schooling and my dad.... mum has an italianish accent. I can also vary my accent accordingly to the social setting.... I can be urban (not just with the slang, but also the accent) and can also do the asian british accent (quite a few paksitani/indian fwends)..... I don't do it intentionally, it just tends to happen over a short space of time!
Reply 4
Original post by Radomu

I've been told that I speak a hybrid of "standard British" and North-Eastern American. I believe my English is mostly British, but I can only pronounce certain words (like "actually") in American.

Well spoken combination of northern, west country and birmingham. And so proud of it too :colone:

Not sure why I got negged for this that is genuinely my accent? :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Trinidadian.
Reply 6
R.P I guess, with a slight Northern twang because of where I was born. Only really comes through when I'm mad though.
Reply 7
RP
Reply 8
None, I'm Welsh.
Original post by 2nd_slip
Trinidadian.

love that accent.....
Reply 10
Original post by bradshawi
RP

Rather posh?
Reply 11
I don't have an accent. :awesome:
London accent
Reply 13
We are the coolest people ever (2nd place goes to Jamaicans).
Reply 14
I think I speak normally, fairly well spoken and i don't say things like "fink" for think, and "sumfin" for something. I'm going to say, standard british.
Mines not related to a specific region, so :dontknow:
Original post by Radomu

I speak in a cross between Received Pronunciation and Indian English - somewhat like a cross between Neville Chamberlain and Jawaharlal Nehru.

I'm Anglo-Irish but I picked up that accent from my parents and my schooling....

I don't think there is a "standard English" accent.
I have a sarcastic tone...
Pretty much recieved pronounciation.
Reply 19
Pretty mild Manchester/generic North West accent.

Latest