What English Accent do you speak in?

Watch
Radomu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
It's hard to define what your true linguistic identity is unless someone tells you, but based on your personal and external observations what sort of accent/dialect do you use to speak English?

I'm Japanese, but I've been told that I speak a hybrid of "standard British" and North-Eastern American. I believe my English is mostly British, but I can only pronounce certain words (like "actually") in American.
Sameh
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Extra fast Mancunian accent. Feels bad, man.
El_Sid
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah, I'm pretty much identical to you, OP.
MonkeyMan2009
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Radomu)
It's hard to define what your true linguistic identity is unless someone tells you, but based on your personal and external observations what sort of accent/dialect do you use to speak English?

I've been told that I speak a hybrid of "standard British" and North-Eastern American. I believe my English is mostly British, but I can only pronounce certain words (like "actually") in American.
R.P, but thats because of my schooling and my dad.... mum has an italianish accent. I can also vary my accent accordingly to the social setting.... I can be urban (not just with the slang, but also the accent) and can also do the asian british accent (quite a few paksitani/indian fwends)..... I don't do it intentionally, it just tends to happen over a short space of time!
abc:)
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

I've been told that I speak a hybrid of "standard British" and North-Eastern American. I believe my English is mostly British, but I can only pronounce certain words (like "actually") in American.
Well spoken combination of northern, west country and birmingham. And so proud of it too

Not sure why I got negged for this that is genuinely my accent?
2nd_slip
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Trinidadian.
IlexBlue
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
R.P I guess, with a slight Northern twang because of where I was born. Only really comes through when I'm mad though.
IB_19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
RP
M1F2R3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
None, I'm Welsh.
MonkeyMan2009
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 2nd_slip)
Trinidadian.
love that accent.....
M1F2R3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by bradshawi)
RP
Rather posh?
March
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't have an accent. :awesome:
username418231
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
London accent
2nd_slip
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We are the coolest people ever (2nd place goes to Jamaicans).
tvdx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think I speak normally, fairly well spoken and i don't say things like "fink" for think, and "sumfin" for something. I'm going to say, standard british.
A level Az
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Mines not related to a specific region, so :dontknow:
obstupefacere
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I speak in a cross between Received Pronunciation and Indian English - somewhat like a cross between Neville Chamberlain and Jawaharlal Nehru.

I'm Anglo-Irish but I picked up that accent from my parents and my schooling....

I don't think there is a "standard English" accent.
assassin's_creed
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have a sarcastic tone...
Aspiringlawstudent
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Pretty much recieved pronounciation.
Jake22
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Pretty mild Manchester/generic North West accent.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (98)
39.68%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.93%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.29%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.08%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.15%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.88%

Watched Threads