The Student Room Group

Do universities accept igcse exams?

Does anyone here please know whether UK universities accept IGCSE as an equivalent to the standard GCSE exams. I'm asking mainly because i have been thinking about self teaching IGCSE subjects: Economics, Business and Biology through an online distance learning college and taking the exams next year in June at a private school or College.

I cannot do the normal GCSE exams in these the subjects above because they all do require coursework assignments. Which as an external candidate might cause me problems when trying to organise for a tutor to verify the assignments.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I dont think they do its looked down on i think..im not that sure....google it

hey i said i wasnt sure..why neg?
(edited 12 years ago)
To be honest I don't think they care about gcses, I mean I didn't do any gcses or igcses and at no point was this seen as a disadvantage. I went to an international school and the IB btw. As they didn't seem to mind that I didn't have any I don't see why they'd mind igcses
Original post by clare.is.rice
To be honest I don't think they care about gcses, I mean I didn't do any gcses or igcses and at no point was this seen as a disadvantage. I went to an international school and the IB btw. As they didn't seem to mind that I didn't have any I don't see why they'd mind igcses

What university did you get into? If you do not mind me asking.
Yes universities do care about the GCSE results. I missed out on my firm choice this year despite having achieved good grades in another level 3 course i was studying. However due to a bad grade in GCSE english i wasn't accepted which i why i have to retake the exams and reapply this year.
Reply 4
Of course they accept IGCSEs. Sometimes they're actually considered harder than GCSEs because (except English subjects) they have no coursework and your grade is based entirely on the exam. They're also meant to be "closer to A Levels" in terms of syllabus and difficulty, but I've never done GCSEs so I wouldn't know.
Original post by LOUDLOUD
I dont think they do its looked down on i think..im not that sure....google it

They most certainly do. If anything IGCSEs are much better than GCSEs.
Reply 6
IGCSEs are accepted for sure. The syllabuses for some subjects are considered harder and prepare you better for A-levels.
I did iGCSE maths and I needed maths at GCSE to get onto my course, so I guess so :smile:
Original post by geeksandtherest
What university did you get into? If you do not mind me asking.
Yes universities do care about the GCSE results. I missed out on my firm choice this year despite having achieved good grades in another level 3 course i was studying. However due to a bad grade in GCSE english i wasn't accepted which i why i have to retake the exams and reapply this year.

I got into Reading, and I know two people in my year at school who got in oxford without having every done GCSEs or any equivalent, I also have a friend doing medicine at Nottingham without having ever done GCSEs. Mind you if it's the English grade that's important we all did English for IB.
Reply 9
Original post by geeksandtherest
Does anyone here please know whether UK universities accept IGCSE as an equivalent to the standard GCSE exams. I'm asking mainly because i have been thinking about self teaching IGCSE subjects: Economics, Business and Biology through an online distance learning college and taking the exams next year in June at a private school or College.

I cannot do the normal GCSE exams in these the subjects above because they all do require coursework assignments. Which as an external candidate might cause me problems when trying to organise for a tutor to verify the assignments.

Of course they accept them. Why wouldn't they? :s-smilie:
Original post by clare.is.rice

That is possibly because the IB deservedly has a very good reputation.
Reply 11
I did IGCSEs instead of GCSE's and it seemed fine for me! I was at an international school and then went on to do IB.
Reply 12
I think they do, my cousin got into a really good uni and he did iGCSEs :smile:
Reply 13
Ofcourse they accept them - infact a lot of universities prefer IGCSE; they're meant to be much harder than GCSE as you can't just re-sit modules.
Reply 14
I did IGCSE's at my international school here, and uni's in england definitely accept them.. I've been told that uni's will actually look at IGCSE's more favourably as we did not have coursework or modules throughout the year. When i was comparing my work with friends back in england they seemed to have it a lot easier than i did.. so go for it, it'll look good :smile:
Can advice if Igcse is a must to he additional math and math to enter further studies .
IGCSEs are the equivalent to GCSEs. I've done a mixture of both and they've been accepted by sixth form etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jeannieyee
Can advice if Igcse is a must to he additional math and math to enter further studies .

This thread is from 2011.

Most UK universities are happy to accept iGCSEs from applicants.
Hi there,
I did IGCSE (Cambridge Interntional) for my GCSE and got an A it has no effect on what I will take at university otherwise my school wouldn't do it for the entire GCSE, they would have just went with Edexcel or AQA for English

Quick Reply

Latest