Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Which has the greater workload: history or philosophy?
    Neither historians or philosophers have the reputation as being workaholics (unfair, I am sure), but which do you think does the most?

cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nero076)
    Neither historians or philosophers have the reputation as being workaholics (unfair, I am sure), but which do you think does the most?

cheers
    I have no idea about philosophy - but i do know that historians do not have many lectures (in comparison to other subjects) but they apparently have to do lots of reading and research, which makes up all the time that everyone else spends in lectures and tutorials

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nero076)

cheers
    I think it depends on what university you're at. At my uni (I'm doing History and Politics) we have about 6 hours of lectures a week and then a seminar every 2 weeks for each lecture. this doesn't sound a lot but the emphasis is on reading yourself, so if you want a good grade, quite a lot of work, if you don't then you dont work as hard, especially in the first year!

ReputationRep:
    I think history is more difficult that philosophy and a more reputed subject. With History you have to do a great deal of reading combined with the interpretation of sources and remembering dates and stuff like that. With Philosophy all you really have to do is give your view more or less.
    Anyways that's my view.

ReputationRep:
    there is a lot more to philosophy that just giving your views on things. it's bloody hard. buy sartre's Being and Nothingness, try to read a page (and this is a big ask) and then say philosophy is easy.

out of the two i'd definately say philosophy is a lot harder. yes, sometimes you can give you own interpretation to things but in western analytical philosophic tradition (which is adopted by most UK uni's) theres a hell of a lot more too it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TELEPATHICTUBBY)
    I think history is more difficult that philosophy and a more reputed subject. With History you have to do a great deal of reading combined with the interpretation of sources and remembering dates and stuff like that. With Philosophy all you really have to do is give your view more or less.
    Anyways that's my view.
    I don't quite beleieve you just said that. I will just assume you haven't even looked at one philosophy book in your life.

ReputationRep:
    I've studied both at uni and there is a lot of crossover.
    Philosophy requires you to set particular individuals and movements in their historical context. In history, when you encounter these individuals and movements during research, it helps to be familiar with what they were on about. Not everything is clearly marked 'history' and 'philosophy'.

As for workload, pretty similar. They both involve a lot of reading and interpretation.

Hopefully that's cleared things up for y'all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnostic)
    History, like all forms of knowledge, is created, not discovered. Philosophers are creators; historians are simply uncreative thinkers.
    That's a very unphilosophical view of history you have there.

ReputationRep:
    I study History myself and can confirm that there is a ridiculous amount of reading involved I remember studying Chaucers 'the wife of bath' for my english A-levels and thinking that was hard. In a Chaucer module I'm doing this year, we're expected to read pretty much all the canterbury tales and most of his other works all while placing this within the context of medieval society in england. It's bloody hard, and probably explains why I end up typing messages like this on here at 1:30am after overdosing on caffeine!

ReputationRep:
    There is a lot of reading in history but for philosophy I find the concepts and logic bloody hard to be honest it certainly isnt a dosser subject.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.