The Student Room Group

Help - advice on Universities needed!!

Soo I am starting to really look at Universities but am totally stumped. I want to do English and Eng Lang combined but not TOO high grades and not too low grades. EG I love Oxford Brookes - BBB. I am looking for a great course for english and english lang, a great CU and a great social life with people of the same kind of academic ability as me. This may be vague but I am just soo confused about what to do!! Helppppp :confused:
English is such a completive course i'm struggling to find mid-range grades.
nearly all mine are AAA, AAB.
Kent has BBB (i think) but i'm scared if i miss out on the grades then i won't get in anywhere!
Reply 2
Original post by Forget that
English is such a completive course i'm struggling to find mid-range grades.
nearly all mine are AAA, AAB.
Kent has BBB (i think) but i'm scared if i miss out on the grades then i won't get in anywhere!

If you are going for pure English at Kent, you are more than likely going to be required to achieve AAB/ABB. http://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergrad/2012/subjects/english-literature
Original post by anonrambler
If you are going for pure English at Kent, you are more than likely going to be required to achieve AAB/ABB. http://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergrad/2012/subjects/english-literature

lol, thanks yeah, I was just looking on their website now
That means i have currently: zero backup options
yayyyy :dance:
Reply 4
lol, thanks yeah, I was just looking on their website now
That means i have currently: zero backup options
yayyyy :dance:

Realistically you should be fine! Just work hard, and keep your eye on the prize. besides, kent are notoriously lenient with admissions.
Realistically you should be fine! Just work hard, and keep your eye on the prize. besides, kent are notoriously lenient with admissions.

apparently its not such a good uni? But to tell the truth doesn't look that bad to me...
its probably TSR members shooting down anything that isn't oxbridge :smartass:
Original post by raven+writing desk

English courses are almost always going to have fairly high grades because they are very popular and consequently they are more competitive. What kind of grades do you think you will be (realistically) aiming for?

I recommend the website Unistats (http://unistats.direct.gov.uk) as it is very helpful at comparing university courses and allows you to see the average entry requirements for each course. I used it a lot when choosing courses. On Unistats, entry requirements are shown in terms of UCAS points but it's easy to translate those into A Level grades (an A* at A Level = 140 points, an A is 120, a B is 100, a C is 80 etc).

Also, don't be afraid to choose five different universities with a range of entry requirements. When I applied, the advice given to me was to choose widely but to make sure I had some insurance choices in case I didn't make the grades.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 7
apparently its not such a good uni? But to tell the truth doesn't look that bad to me...
its probably TSR members shooting down anything that isn't oxbridge :smartass:

I think it is just people acting elitist/ narrow minded/ recognising the university's independence as a punishment, rather than a choice. If Kent was such a terrible institution, it wouldn't achieve so highly in all of the league tables, and it wouldn't demand as high admission tariffs. Some of the courses (English, History and a few others) demand the same grades as a handful of Russell Group universities, and the research quality in some areas (History in particularly) matches that of the golden 5 (according to the 2008 RAE). The university is also one of the original 'Glass Plate' institutions (alongside York, UEA, Warwick, Lancaster, Essex and Sussex), and manages to academically compete against its peers (with the exception of York and Warwick).

Bare in mind, it is by no means the 'best' university, but it is worth a look in to. As for the negative connotations... I guess that its unwillingness to join a university group (much like Aston), is its downfall.
I think Swansea is BBB.

It's hard to find a mid-range for English, Kent isn't bad either but it's ABB.
Reply 9
Original post by xnatalie01x
I think Swansea is BBB.

It's hard to find a mid-range for English, Kent isn't bad either but it's ABB.

It's AAB for English Lit.
It's AAB for English Lit.

Yeah, AAB for English Lit but the OP wants language as well. I was going by the grades needed for Lit & Linguistics.
Original post by xnatalie01x
Yeah, AAB for English Lit but the OP wants language as well. I was going by the grades needed for Lit & Linguistics.

Gotcha, in which case ABB.
Reply 12
A sneaky way to lower grade requirements is to go for a joint honours course rather than a pure English one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending