This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hi my names rich, hope this info can help u all.

The experiment is easy. Basically, you make up a series of concentrations of copper sulphate and mix each one with
albumen. If the protein denatures, it goes cloudy. You can measure this using a colorimeter, or by seeing if a cross drwan under the beaker containing the solutions disappears. Obviously, you need to flesh out this method with a lot more detail (quantities, controlling variables,how to use a colorimeter, what concentrations of CuSo4 you are going to use, etc.)Copper ions form strong bonds with carboxylate anions on the amino acids that form part of the peptide bond. They form a new set of ionic bonds hence disrupting the peptide links that join the amino acids together, and give rise to the secondary structure.The positive copper ions also affect the protein's electrical polarity, thus increasing its insolubility and often causing it to precipitate out of solutionsWhen albumen is exposed to copper sulphate, the copper ions disrupt the structure, and, normally a water soluble globular protein, it re-forms as a fibrous protein, precipitating out of solution and becoming opaque.Try not to write this word for word, as I have sent out this explanation to loads of people and if OCR keep getting exactly the same wording they are going to think there is something funny going on!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
hi rich, thanx for the help, we love u!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (298)
34.17%
No (574)
65.83%

Watched Threads