The Student Room Group

Feeling like I want to be anyone but myself.

Please keep this anonymous and sorry if this is in the wrong place.

It sounds like an odd complaint, but 90% of the time, I feel like I'm trying to emulate the behaviours of people I admire at some level. I understand that I should 'be myself', but I'm not entirely sure what I'm like, if you know what I mean. I am rejected or ignored by people quite a lot, so I get the idea that my personality (whatever it is like) is somewhat unpleasant. Despite this, I'd like to be myself, I think. I hate feeling like I'm pretending all the time, but I also hate being lonely.
Reply 1
Be yourself, no one likes fake people.
You don't need to imitate people around you to make or keep friends. In fact, sometimes it's easier to make friends with people different to you. If you're just yourself it will boost your self-esteem, maybe confidence is what you're lacking.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
If you make friends when you're "someone else" then they aren't really your friends at all are they?

The best thing to do is always be yourself, you'll find that people like you for who you are. More so for not trying to be something that your not. Never try to be what you're not, it can cause me problems then you think. :smile:
Be friendly and try not to be a dick and most people won't dislike you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending