The Student Room Group

Sometimes I wish girls wouldn't take themselves so seriously!

it drives me mad at times. i can have a laugh, banter with, make fun of my guy mates. they mostly have 'thick skin' so they can take some light-hearted abuse (sometimes verging on verbal bullying!). then when i try it with girls, they get so uptight and offended. if i can't have a bit of a laugh and banter with a girl, i have to talk quite seriously, but then i find that girls make very little effort with conversation, so much so that i end up doing most of the talking. girls, why do you take yourselves so seriously? why can't you have a bit of fun?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Movember
it drives me mad at times. i can have a laugh, banter with, make fun of my guy mates. they mostly have 'thick skin' so they can take some light-hearted abuse (sometimes verging on verbal bullying!). then when i try it with girls, they get so uptight and offended. if i can't have a bit of a laugh and banter with a girl, i have to talk quite seriously, but then i find that girls make very little effort with conversation, so much so that i end up doing most of the talking. girls, why do you take yourselves so seriously? why can't you have a bit of fun?

I don't know what girls you are talking to... way to generalise

also, take a look at whether the banter/jokes is sexist... if it is that's probably why they aren't laughing
Reply 2
some people are more sensitive to certain types of jokes then other people. some girls and guys dont like to be made fun of, others wouldnt really mind. its up to the person to see it as lighthearted what you think is light hearted abuse might seem serious to someone else.

i heard a few guys talking to some girls and one guy was trying it on with one of the girls, when she didnt give him her number he said who wanted your number anyway grow some tits or get a breast enlargement and then ill talk to you. The girl actually started crying, so certain things like calling a girl fat, or making fun of her body or other things she might be self conscious about could make them quite upset.
Reply 3
Original post by Movember

Hanging out with the wrong girls OR picking the wrong thing to laugh at OR the girl is the only girl in the group and she feels like everyone's teaming up against her.
Mostly girls are fine with it, but imagine if a girl you've slept with started laughing about how tiny your penis is with the group of her friends when you're present.
im fine with people im comfortble making fun of me, i couldnt give a ****, but im quite shy and ifsomeone i dont know is tlking to me and tkin the piss i might get usure and think that they think thier better than me. its probably just me being insecure, but you kinda have to get to know people b4 u take the piss outta them
It all depends on who you're talking to and how sensitive they are really.
Maybe you should get some real friends instead of hanging out with the fairies or maybe your friends find you boring!
Reply 7
Meh, some girls; everything is a competition, or everything is about them. I know girls like this, and I have to watch my mouth around them, unlike when I'm talking to guy friends. Don't worry about it, your just not a shy girl who only gets on with people of their own gender!
dude just depends on the girl, i have quite a few female friends since starting uni who i can have that sort of banter with, although its mainly me mocking them, and i push it quite far sometimes lol, but then there are others who i wouldnt dare try it on! So youve got to pick and choose...
It depends on what you mean by friendly banter...like if my male friends decide to tease me about something like falling over or if I've done something different to my hair then it's fine because usually it is actually funny and there's no harm done. But its different it some guy comes over to chat you up who thinks its funny to take the piss and thinks you'll like it, bearing in mind that in my case a guys are mostly taller than me, it can be a bit offensive and overpowering.

And 'lad jokes' ... I can't think off hand but the stuff like 'get back in the kitchen' or boob jokes etc are funny the first couple of times, but seriously they get old. In my opinion there's nothing wrong with taking the piss if its friendly but people quite often cross the line into sexism etc.
I have a few guy mates who sometimes have nothing to say except for joke insults, and to be honest I find it rather boring. So I don't laugh, but it's not because I'm uptight/offended, it's because I'm not really amused.
Reply 11
Original post by KingOfLove
some people are more sensitive to certain types of jokes then other people. some girls and guys dont like to be made fun of, others wouldnt really mind. its up to the person to see it as lighthearted what you think is light hearted abuse might seem serious to someone else.

i heard a few guys talking to some girls and one guy was trying it on with one of the girls, when she didnt give him her number he said who wanted your number anyway grow some tits or get a breast enlargement and then ill talk to you. The girl actually started crying, so certain things like calling a girl fat, or making fun of her body or other things she might be self conscious about could make them quite upset.

Yeah, some girls don't like to be made fun of and that's normal. But where I live (and everyone ironically from out the area loves it here for a visit, but it's certainly not a good place for the open-minded to live in), pretty much EVERY girl is uptight and standoffish and that's NOT normal and it shouldn't be like that. It makes me wonder how couples even get together because the social culture is all so fake for people of similar age to me. It's like being given a user-account without being told the password and having to keep guessing and never getting anywhere and I know for sure that I'm comfortable being myself.

Good job I'm back to uni soon. Doing a Masters will be far more enjoyable!!!!
Most girls dont know what banter is.

Tell me, how many girls have taken the piss and were good at it. Told a joke etc?

I've never seen one except a few.
Reply 13
If your 'banter' is about making you a sandwich or getting back into the kitchen then it's because its actually not funny any more. Guys always go on about what great banter they have, but when it comes to having banter with a girl they just use the same old lines over and over again. Guys need to get thinking and start coming up with something original.
Your definitly generalising. I'm a girl and i can have a laugh and banter about pretty much anything! I definitly don't take myself too seriously and love the banter that guys have.. it might be because ive got an older brother so ive always been around him and his mates.. but everyones different. Some girls don't like banter, some do. You just have to meet the ones who do like it.
Reply 15
Original post by bethany-x-
Your definitly generalising. I'm a girl and i can have a laugh and banter about pretty much anything! I definitly don't take myself too seriously and love the banter that guys have.. it might be because ive got an older brother so ive always been around him and his mates.. but everyones different. Some girls don't like banter, some do. You just have to meet the ones who do like it.

That's probably it! Being a big brother is a rarity these days, but at least I know I'm in charge! What's the age gap between you and your bro?
Reply 16
To be honest when ever a guy has tried having banter with me its just been sexist, im not offended just not found it funny either.

My friends take the piss out of me and I find it hilarious, usually because its more original since they actually know me, know embarrasing things about me and what I have done and what annoys me etc. So it tends to actually be funny compared to "go make a sandwhich".

Guys try to hard to have 'banter' anyway, especially when in public.
Reply 17
Original post by Ali.R
Guys try to hard to have 'banter' anyway, especially when in public.

How do you react when they initiate? In my experience, I get a positive reaction a lot lot more from girls from abroad even though I behave no different to either and joy, doesn't it feel a lot better when they're not het up and allow some substantial conversation to flow through!
i tend to be 50/50 i can take myself too seriously but i like a bit of banter too
Reply 19
Equal balance then! Which of those 3 guys do you think I would find the sexiest? I bet you'll never guess!

Quick Reply

Latest