The Student Room Group

Applying to Oxbridge during gap year

I am currently going into yr 13 in September and have made a decision to study medicine, however because of how late I decided I am thinking of perhaps applying after my A levels. Is this a good idea? I want to apply to Oxbridge but will they have a problem with me taking a gap year to apply? My grades are 8 A*s 3 As at GCSE and AS was 4 As 2 Bs.
Reply 1
As a general rule Oxbridge don't discriminate against applicants in their gap years (meaning they look at the applicant solely on academic merit and nothing else). With that said, you should probably explain in your PS the reasons for taking the gap year and what you have done (hopefully a few things related to medicine).
Reply 2
Well I intend to do quite a bit of work experience concerning medicine, shadowing some research profs etc. I'm just a little worried about getting in you know
Reply 3
Original post by dracscaper
Well I intend to do quite a bit of work experience concerning medicine, shadowing some research profs etc. I'm just a little worried about getting in you know

well yeah, getting in is the difficult part :P but as long as you spend some of your time doing things concerning medicine your gap year won't make you a weaker candidate.
Reply 4
thanks for the help :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending