I'm 18, Parents threatening to kick me out, bad home relationship

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hello TSR

I'm 18, doing my second year of a levels. To cut a long story short I do not get along with my mum and her husband (step) at all. The relationship is terrible, my mum is extremely verbally abusive, she really does say mean and hurtful things. This has gone on for long enough now that I am a pretty messed up guy (not many friends, anti social etc). I do have a job but its only one day a week so i get paid 31 pounds a month. My mum doesn't pay for my shampoo/toiletries or college books etc, so as you can figure I have no spare cash. I get by on sainsburies basics for all my toiletry needs and the library for all my books, the rest goes towards exercise books which unfortunately one cant get from the library and bus fare etc.My mum has enough cash that i don't get alg/ema. I may get kicked out soon, the fruit is ripening, any options?
iPhone
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would contact social services if I was you. You are not being treated fairly or nicely at all!
kungfurawr
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Do you have any aunts or uncles or any friends that you could stay with? You need to tell someone whats happening and you need to get out. I'm sure someone would let you stay at theirs if they knew what was going on. I mean if my friend was in your situation I'd take them in.
Howard
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you leave they can't kick you out.

I left home at 16. No big deal.
AidanKD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Depending on your hours you're also underpaid...30 quid for 4 days work!? I earnt more with a paper round.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by iPhone)
I would contact social services if I was you. You are not being treated fairly or nicely at all!
Social services?!? I'm 18! officially an adult, as far as the government is concerned I'm my own problem now
Anonymous #1
Thanks all, please note I am 18, so social services won't really help me out. I'm just trying to get through my last year of college, uni will be a whole new frontier but for now, should I find myself on the street, does anyone have a solid plan? I have already been kicked out twice and basically I just slept out in parks, dangerous but this was during the summer so new big deal, the winter is a whole different story, any links, info on how others make it etc would be appreciated, I work for days in a month for 1.5 hour each day, I am trying to find more work but fitting college hours and work is hard
Anonymous #1
(Original post by kungfurawr)
Do you have any aunts or uncles or any friends that you could stay with? You need to tell someone whats happening and you need to get out. I'm sure someone would let you stay at theirs if they knew what was going on. I mean if my friend was in your situation I'd take them in.
This may have worked but having no money makes making friends hard, no money for movies etc, and you probably know how most young people think, nobody wants any extra baggage, besides I never made any solid friends, just acquaintances, we would laugh and joke together in the college but I never met/saw any of them outside college.
kungfurawr
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What about family? And maybe you should try and get a council house? In your situation theres a possibility that you could get help with your rent or financial help from the government. I don't knowuch about that topic and I know that you don't have much money but it's wprth looking into. It beats sleeping in the park, especially if you get kicked out in the winter cuz you would freeze to death. Just look into accomodation for people in your situation; there must be something!(:
march or die
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Go to your council's housing department. Explain your situation and tell them your mum is kicking you out. As you have become homeless they must provide you with accomodation. I hope this helps.
Lord Jon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
If you leave they can't kick you out.

I left home at 16. No big deal.
How did that work out for you and how did you do it?

Advice.
When will I know?
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
:hugs:

(Original post by march or die)
Go to your council's housing department. Explain your situation and tell them your mum is kicking you out. As you have become homeless they must provide you with accomodation. I hope this helps.
Try this...i'm sure there is some sort of support service that will be able to help you, you're still in school/6th form, you could tell them about it too and ask for support.
Flan5651
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
all you have to do is go the the nearest neighbourhood office and tell them what has happened they will then move you to a hotel or fat temporary, then find you a home in which you can get all things paid for. Then you can claim income support to pay for food and stuff. I have been through the same things so i know how you feel.

You will be ok, dont worry!
Anonymous #1
Thanks everybody, I will look into the going to the council option, it would be strange walking in and asking 'what happens if they kick me out'. I'll just live under the axe for now and should I get kicked out, lets hope it happens during mon-fri (while the council offices are open) I would then have a chance of appealing to their humanity. If it happens on a weekend... I'll just have to take my chances, if anyone has any further advice, please share it, I will be needing it.
march or die
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
if it happens on a weekend try to contact the organisation called shelter, i think they have 24 hour emergency number, plus they could help you with housing advice as well.

Having said all this try to stick to your family, at the end of the day they are all you have in this world, don't forget. Try to understand where they are coming from and don't make hasty decisions.
shy-girl666
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Social services?!? I'm 18! officially an adult, as far as the government is concerned I'm my own problem now
go to your college people.... like student services or something im sure they will give you some advice

hope it all works out for you xx
WhoTheDevil
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by march or die)
Having said all this try to stick to your family, at the end of the day they are all you have in this world, don't forget. Try to understand where they are coming from and don't make hasty decisions.
Hear hear. Don't forget that its not ALL about you. Do try to empathize a little and put yourself in their shoes as well. But as of now and the way I see it, what everyone has said up there and your coming visit to the council is probably the best thing to do. Good luck my good man. Chin up alright? :hugs:
MAlec
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I hope you get on alright man, I've been in the exact same situation, didn't get on with my new step-dad, forced out for just short of two months. If you need help just hit me up mate.
Anonymous #1
Thanks all

My situation is way beyond the stereotypical family squabble. But now at least I have an option or two should the worst come to the worst (as it soon will). The thought is appreciated MAlec.
Howard
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Agent Smirnoff)
How did that work out for you and how did you do it?

Advice.
I stayed on a friend's couch for the first two months which was rotten and then moved in with a Welsh travelling family (yes....no kidding.....I literally did run off with the gypsies!) who were lovely people. I stayed with them for about a year, and helped them in the scrap business, while I saved up some money.

Then I lodged in a room in a "not to bad" area in a shared house while I went to work as a bricklayer's laborer. That was a brilliant time because I shared the house with four others - one complete nerd and 3 lovely women - 2 nurses and a hairdresser. I stayed there for four years and did day release to get an ONC and HNC in construction at the local college. Then I took myself to University and the rest as they say is history.

Worked out OK for me. A life enriching experience in fact.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (17)
17.35%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (28)
28.57%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (10)
10.2%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (10)
10.2%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
5.1%
I think it's an unfair expectation (26)
26.53%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
2.04%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed