The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
7A*'s 3A's GCSE

4A's at As

Predicted 4 A's alevel, although its more lieky to be 3A's and E, but thats ok.

Offer from Emmanuel, cambridge for Vet Med.
Reply 41
Mr_Upstairs
GCSE AABBCCDDEF
AS-Level C
A-Level AABD

And yes, I got in!!

Heh, amazing. Studying what?
Reply 42
Um... Scottish grades may not translate all that well.

Standard Grades ( GCSEs... sort of )

English 1
Maths 1
French 1
Chemistry 1
Modern Studies 1
Computing 1
Tech Studies 1
Drama 1

Highers ( sort of like AS levels, taken as equivalents of by most English universities but as far as the numbers doing them goes could be considered A level equivalent )

English A
Maths A
French A
Modern Studies A
History A
Physics A
Biology A
Chemistry B
Computing B

And I've got an Advanced Higher in English at A. Cambridge takes this as the equivalent of an A level but thankfully the interviews carry some weight as the prospectus was demanding a minimum of two advanced highers from all Scottish students. I imagine it was a close one in my case.

Edit - I've been offered an unconditional to read Philosophy at Sidney Sussex.
Amazing
Heh, amazing. Studying what?

Well, that'd be telling.... :d

Ummm..... HumSci
this is fun
gcse: 11 A*s; AS 4As, predicted 4 As for A-level this year
english at cambridge cond offer for 2004...

judging from the grades admitted to in this thread we're all of us very good at succeeding in exams. the way to get through the interview therefore is to prepare for your interview as you would for an exam. fun!
4 A*
6 A
1 B
at GCSE

AAAAA AS-level

hoping for AAAA at A level

PPP at christ church, oxford
boris
4 A*
6 A
1 B
at GCSE

AAAAA AS-level

hoping for AAAA at A level

PPP at christ church, oxford

what is ppp?
Reply 47
Another one of the Worcester crew here....

Going back all them years:
GCSE (when they were proper exams :wink: ):
4A*
5A
1B

A Levels (way before they were these A2 malarky):
5A (incl Gen Stud)

Accepted to read Physics at Worcester.
Changed to read Earth Sciences at Worcester after 1 year.
1st in Earth Sciences (4 year masters course).
Currently doing PhD (or DPhil as they call it here) in seismology.

By the way PPP - Philosophy, Politics and Pyschology I think, but I stand to be corrected......
Reply 48
davey_boy

By the way PPP - Philosophy, Politics and Pyschology I think, but I stand to be corrected......

Philosophy, Physiology and Psychology
Reply 49
winorloose
AAAB (B not declared) at AS
3A* 4A 1B at GCSE
English
Queens' Cambridge

I've also had an offer from Queens' for English - hopefully we'll meet come October. I look forward to studying with Doctors Patterson and Leask (true gentlemen, I'm sure you'll agree!).

What's odd, though, is that they've asked for an A in Further Maths. This doesn't include Maths, so (in case of disaster) I can cash the modules in a perverted manner to receive just the higher qualification with an A, throwing away half the exams I took at the same time. But if it's what's required...

I think that the interview (+ essays) holds much more sway than the qualifications you've already completed. After all, the English Literature A-level only tests your ability to fulfill their "Assessment Objectives", and is really quite restrictive. Likewise, the GCSE results can be a good indicator of the best candidates, but if someone's specialities lie in one or two A-level subjects then their suitability to follow a related university course will not be shown through a mountain of A*s. Indeed, the interview is the best means to determine this.
Reply 50
I haven't even done my GCSE's yet, but I've kind of figured that if you get an interview for a place then they must be happy with your grades, therefore when you get into the interview it's that what counts... So if you're worried about your grades and you get an interview then your grades are obsolete as long as you impress them in the interview then they'll give you an offer and you just have to meet the offer... Of course I have no experience of this though :biggrin:
Reply 51
GCSE's - 8A* 2A

AS - 4As (including General Studies which doesn't really count) and 1C (for obvious reasons didn't certificate this before applying)

Prediction for A2 - 3A's

Conditional offer from Sidney Sussex for AAB
Reply 52
lgs98jonee
Hi
I want to go to Oxbridge and i was just wondering whether those of u who gpt in could say what grades u got and what u r reading at uni....also if u did any extra stuff like useful work experience or did amazing in BMO etc.

GSCE 9A*s, 1A
A Level AAAA (including gen studies but that doesnt really count) plus A for AS ICT
History
Oxford

i also did my gold duke of edinburgh and lots and lots of extra curricular stuff, not to support my application though, i just happened to be doing them!
I'm sure most people realise this, but I'd just like to reiterate that having excellent qualifications won't mean that you'll sail into Oxbridge. I hope this does not sound either boastful or bitter, but I have better qualifications than anyone who has replied to this thread, but I was still rejected by Oxford, and that was for a course which is not particularly popular. Thus judging on my experience exam grades can't be the most important thing in the selection process. My interview feedback said that from my UCAS form I looked "extremely promising", but applicants were graded mainly on interview, tests, and submitted written work. That implies to me that good results will give a favourable impression of an applicant, but aren't that important in the selection process.
Reply 54
Alexander
I'm sure most people realise this, but I'd just like to reiterate that having excellent qualifications won't mean that you'll sail into Oxbridge. I hope this does not sound either boastful or bitter, but I have better qualifications than anyone who has replied to this thread, but I was still rejected by Oxford, and that was for a course which is not particularly popular. Thus judging on my experience exam grades can't be the most important thing in the selection process. My interview feedback said that from my UCAS form I looked "extremely promising", but applicants were graded mainly on interview, tests, and submitted written work. That implies to me that good results will give a favourable impression of an applicant, but aren't that important in the selection process.

Wot did u get then??
bOdOING2
Wot did u get then??

10A*2A at GCSE, 6A at AS
Reply 56
Alexander
10A*2A at GCSE, 6A at AS

Well done m8! oxford rejected you?? How did u do in the interview? Wot were u applying for? Cos if u didnt mess up ur interview, it sounds like u really should of got in.
Reply 57
Alexander

From my experience, there is a certain element of luck and performance of interview that plays the part in the process of admissions into oxbridge. I know a few people who has 10a* and 5as at alevel who could not get in. Any chance you are from a public school?
Reply 58
bOdOING2
Well done m8! oxford rejected you?? How did u do in the interview? Wot were u applying for? Cos if u didnt mess up ur interview, it sounds like u really should of got in.

I think the test they took also played quite a large factor too. Also he applied to an insanely 'academic' college (Merton) so I think although the course isn't too popular, the applicants to Merton were probably of extremely high calibre (a student in my school applied to Merton for the same course and she's a genius :tongue: ).
Reply 59
Lucy
I think the test they took also played quite a large factor too. Also he applied to an insanely 'academic' college (Merton) so I think although the course isn't too popular, the applicants to Merton were probably of extremely high calibre (a student in my school applied to Merton for the same course and she's a genius :tongue: ).

Presumably they would have tried to get him a place in another college if they wanted to though - although I agree that the interview and college tests can probably provide them with a much better idea of intelligence than previous examinations, it's quite saddening to hear that somebody with such fantastic grades can be rejected from Oxbridge - even if it gives hope to people with poor grades like me that they can somehow get in if they give a brilliant performance at the interview!

Latest

Trending

Trending