The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Mr Smurf

Sounds similar to what Stephen Fry actually did. I didn't bookmark it but he talked a lot about how he studied Star Trek in one interview.
Reply 21
I think they're all acceptable if you're willing and passionate enough to study them for 3/4 years, however I think there are very few jobs in media/video games compared to the number of students taking them.

I know a Media Studies teacher and she told me most students who did a Media based degree at university (aiming to be an editor, camera crew, scripting etc) ended up teaching media or doing something completely different!

But if you enjoy it, then I think people should do what they want to do.
Original post by The_Male_Melons
I am copying and pasting my reply from another thread.

As well as those listed:

There is more, on top of my head:
Media Studies
Film and Production
Psychology
Music
Art
Fashion
Business Management and Leisure
Hospitality Management
Politics
Leisure and Tourism
Art and Design
Drama
Anything with "studies" like "Iranian Studies" (such a degree does exist ) or Business Studies
Business Management
Childhood and Youth studies
Coaching
Community Health
Computer Games

I would go far and say perhaps, joint degrees might be mickey mouse like Accountancy and politics- mainly because it is not pure Accountancy. Although I would make clear, accountancy is a very respected degree. (I am not studying accountancy anyway). Just highlighting how respected degrees like accountancy, law, physics, biology etc... get watered down with "and another subject".

There are probably even more that will get mentioned...

Neg rep me all you want- you know it is true. You wasted a lot of money on something that was useless. I am not being snobby. I don't care which university a person goes to, just don't do mickey mouse degrees. Simples.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=32847848#post32847848

Where would the Psychologists come from?
Reply 23
Sport Tourism
Reply 24
Depends on what you want to do really. A degree is what you make of it - if people want to study media, then fine. They have an interest in media and maybe want a future career in it.

A useless degree is somebody studying something they have little/no interest in, putting no effort into said degree and then not bothering when it comes to applying for a job.
Reply 25
I'm guessing the OP got rejected from all his university choices, so he made this thread to belittle others who have been successful in order to feel better about himself.
Where is English Literature on here?
:P

MICKEY MOUSE?

You can now study to honours or foundation-degree level:

Hairdressing-salon management University of Derby
Fashion-and-lifestyle products Southampton Solent University
Watersports science and development University of Portsmouth
Sports-surfaces management Glyndwr University
Contemporary circus and physical performance Bath Spa University
Equestrian psychology Glyndwr University
Cruise management University of Plymouth
Surf science and technology University of Plymouth
Pop-music performance University of East London
Sexual-health studies University of Central Lancashire

(copied from the times online)
Reply 27
Original post by creak
I'm guessing the OP got rejected from all his university choices, so he made this thread to belittle others who have been successful in order to feel better about himself.

I'm out of rep :colonhash: But you'd be getting some if I wasn't!
wow, thats a really strange list you've put together there.

fashion studies and drama/performance as degrees are quite strange. i think i would label them as doss subjects - as a degree that is. actors are still talented people but doing a degree in it perhaps isn't a good way to get into it.

sociology and journalism are both reputable subjects. seen green street? Elija Wood was majoring in Journalism at Harvard. are journalism grads from harvard wasters?

then you have ones like photography, animation, video games development. these are all tricky and technical subjects that do require real talent. As does something like fine art. these type of degrees, while maybe not academic, still require the same level hard work and talent so to my mind deserve the title of a degree like any other subject.

music studies/sound production. not sure what this is? a friend does audio engineering.... if it's anything like that, then it's hard.

the ones of those list i would pick out as being doss are travel/tourism, and events management. this is because they are so specific, there isn't enough in them to justify a degree. a degree in management is understandable, learning about high level cooperate and economic type stuff, but events management? a friend did physics and went to work for an events management company. he learnt it all on the job fairly easily - a degree in it is unnecessary, and smacks of desperation.
Original post by The_Male_Melons
I am copying and pasting my reply from another thread.

As well as those listed:

There is more, on top of my head:
Media Studies
Film and Production
Psychology
Music
Art
Fashion
Business Management and Leisure
Hospitality Management
Politics
Leisure and Tourism
Art and Design
Drama
Anything with "studies" like "Iranian Studies" (such a degree does exist ) or Business Studies
Business Management
Childhood and Youth studies
Coaching
Community Health
Computer Games

Seriously?
I mean, really? Psychology is an irrelevant degree?
Seriously??
By extension, you think that psychologists are an unnecesary part of science. Well, I can tell you there, that isn't true at all. And anybody planning to go into fashion would want a degree in it to bolster their chances. Same goes for politics, really.
People seriously need to stop being so up themselves.
No degree is useless if it leads to an individual's desired career. Photography is a useful degree, if you want to be a photographer. Journalism is a useful degree if you a person wants to be a journalist.

Other degrees such as psychology, history and sociology (which I've seen slated on here) are a lot more open to a range of things, still respected degrees!
Reply 31
Music/sound production? Really?

Do you actually have any idea of what you're talking about? Music might be easy at school-level but when you get to degree level, it's as hard as any other subject. I might even go as far as to say that it's harder, seeing as you also have to have musical ability along with academic ability. Being able to play Smoke On The Water on guitar isn't enough either, I and other people on my course play 3+ instruments fluently and that's only a BTEC Level 3. And if you're studying production or music tech, you do some pretty brutal maths physics modules. Still think it's a Mickey Mouse degree?
(edited 12 years ago)
How is games development a useless degree? It's a sure ticket into the gaming industry and ultimately to what someone who's takes that wants to be: a game developer. You can't really learn the skills needed to do that job anywhere else.
Original post by kerily
:rofl:

Actually, no, I'm not even going to bother clarifying. If you're not intellectually capable of clicking the little button in my signature that reveals the nature of my academic qualifications, or clicking through to my profile (which is out-of-date, but should still give you an idea!) I really don't think there's much point in you starting a big debate thread :teehee:

(Not, I hasten to add, that my argument would be any less valid if I did study a degree that other people thought of as 'Mickey Mouse' - but I'm pretty sure I don't.)

Woah, all those A stars are really blinding me! :eek3:

Good arguments by the way :yy:
How's politics a mickey mouse degree? And as for the poll, most of the industries related to those listed actually require those qualifications
Original post by kerily
:sigh: This thread again?

People don't always go to uni to increase their employability. And even if they did, a lot of those degrees are actually very employable, because they lead to one specific career path/job. At the end of the day, it's not like it hurts you if someone does a course less ~prestigious than whatever you've deemed acceptable for yourself, so I don't think the snobbery that's rife on TSR is really necessary here.

This point deserves a +rep! I dont understand why people are so damn fussed about what uni people studied at and what they studied.I know countless examples of people who have got a 'mickey mouse' degree from a 'low ranked' uni who have got grad jobs straight after graduating.As long as you put yourself out there and network then I think you should be ok.
Reply 36
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Woah, all those A stars are really blinding me! :eek3:

Good arguments by the way :yy:

Why thankyou :colondollar:

I don't like to be all 'lol look at my grades' because TSR is rife with that sort of thing and it's really not the be-all and end-all of everything, but my point was that you don't have to be doing a 'Mickey Mouse' degree to recognise that they can have worth - so I'm glad that I got that over without coming over as a bit up myself :tongue:

There should really be a big sticky megathread for this sort of argument, because it seems to come up practically daily, with people saying the same things each time...
Original post by Sendaii
Music/sound production? Really?

Do you actually have any idea of what you're talking about?
Music might be easy at school-level but when you get to degree level, it's as hard as any other subject. I might even go as far as to say that it's harder, seeing as you also have to have musical ability along with academic ability. Being able to play Smoke On The Water on guitar isn't enough either, I and other people on my course play 3+ instruments fluently and that's only a BTEC Level 3. And if you're studying production or music tech, you do some pretty brutal maths physics modules. Still think it's a Mickey Mouse degree?

pretty sure he doesn't, no
Original post by Simone.xox
People seriously need to stop being so up themselves.
No degree is useless if it leads to an individual's desired career. Photography is a useful degree, if you want to be a photographer. Journalism is a useful degree if you a person wants to be a journalist.

Other degrees such as psychology, history and sociology (which I've seen slated on here) are a lot more open to a range of things, still respected degrees!

Journalism is effectively useless if you want to be a Journalist, if you aspire to become a journalist you are better of taking Law, Economics etc.

Its the same as forensic Science, no one will become a forensic scientist with a degree in forensice science.
Reply 39
If videogames development teaches you all about computer language as well there is no way that that is Mickey Mouse.

Photography - eugh. Point a lens at something and press click. So this course teaches you about the twiddles you can do before and after you press click? Photography is not an art form in the way that painting is. Painting (e.g. photorealistic) can do anything that photography can do and more because you can easily conjure up fantastical worlds as well.

Latest

Trending

Trending