Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Could you perhaps explain why Clitheroe seems to come up time after time after time in the public school community? Is it some kind of old boy HQ? Seemed like an impoverished, depressing northern town when I visited it :/
    Not at all. There is only my old school in the area which is private.

It's just a middle class town in a very poor area, thats all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Lol I've met him but we had better things to talk about than his sexuality. He's very....erm.....Welsh.

In response to Fishpaste: There are quite a few posh schools in and around Clitheroe, so that's probably why it keeps coming up. It is a bit bleak there though, I do agree.
    Hmm, I can safely say I didnt talk about his sexuality! He comes to Stonyhurst once a year and talks to the pupils.

Aye, its bleak up north. Put't kettle on t'love.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    In response to Fishpaste: There are quite a few posh schools in and around Clitheroe, so that's probably why it keeps coming up. It is a bit bleak there though, I do agree.
    I see. Begs the question why would you want to establish such a top notch institution in such a place? I saw Royal Clitheroe Grammar School, I'm sure the teachers are great, but it's one declining setup they have there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)

It isnt impoverished by any means. Some of the richest people in the country live in the clitheroe area. Apparently if the Queen ever retired/got kicked off the throne she would settle in the forrest of Bowland near Clitheroe, a very beatiful place isnt it Hilda Beast?

ReputationRep:

What about the school I mentioned? Royal Clitheroe Grammar (I think.)

ReputationRep:
    I see. Begs the question why would you want to establish such a top notch institution in such a place? I saw Royal Clitheroe Grammar School, I'm sure the teachers are great, but it's one declining setup they have there.
    Declining in what way? Obviously we need Lord Huntroyde for this but, it always pretty much gets 100% GCSE pass rate every year for the past god knows how long.

ReputationRep:
    What about the school I mentioned? Royal Clitheroe Grammar (I think.)
    Thats state. Its free.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, its bleak up north. Put't kettle on t'love.
    Haha it really is that bad, at least from my brief observation. It also seems the trains there move at 2mph, and don't come from any of the major rail stations.

ReputationRep:
    Haha it really is that bad, at least from my brief observation. It also seems the trains there move at 2mph, and don't come from any of the major rail stations.
    Its actually one of the most beautiful parts of the country. Do you like Lord of the rings?

ReputationRep:
    Declining in what way? Obviously we need Lord Huntroyde for this but, it always pretty much gets 100% GCSE pass rate every year for the past god knows how long.
    He goes there? Oh wow, hope I don't upset him. Declining in that they didn't seem to be maintaining the building all that well, and the resources seemed rather limited.

ReputationRep:
    Thats state. Its free.
    Ah right. I met somebody there who pays some fees of some sorts but they seemed to be a special case, they weren't very much, and I don't think they were direct tuition fees or anything. Silly mistake.

ReputationRep:
    He goes there? Oh wow, hope I don't upset him. Declining in that they didn't seem to be maintaining the building all that well, and the resources seemed rather limited.
    I wouldnt say limited. Remember its a grant maintained school so it doesnt get as much as any comprehensive. Apparently they spend vast amounts on computers etc, but disregard other parts. The sixth form is a solid building, quite pretty, the main school is a dump.

ReputationRep:
    Ah right. I met somebody there who pays some fees of some sorts but they seemed to be a special case, they weren't very much, and I don't think they were direct tuition fees or anything. Silly mistake.
    I doubt it. Ask LH, its a 'FREE grammar school' as he keeps reminding me. I'd stil lrather go to Stonyhurst anyday

ReputationRep:
    Its actually one of the most beautiful parts of the country. Do you like Lord of the rings?
    I guess it depends on taste. I found it to be like some sort of Welsh valley town during the decline. I'm not really a fan of northern towns ever though, so I'm of course a little biased. Doesn't seem anymore beautiful in terms of landscape than any other rural area of England, and there's a stark atmosphere there, like it was abandoned or something.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt say limited. Remember its a grant maintained school so it doesnt get as much as any comprehensive. Apparently they spend vast amounts on computers etc, but disregard other parts. The sixth form is a solid building, quite pretty, the main school is a dump.
    I saw none of these computers =P The sixth form seemed alright, but still badly maintained. I saw the pics of your school you posted the other day, it looks like a very nice place to be. I suppose that's because of the funding difference you cite.

My school has an 'optional' termly donation thing which practically everyone pays. I guess other schools do the same.

ReputationRep:
    I guess it depends on taste. I found it to be like some sort of Welsh valley town during the decline. I'm not really a fan of northern towns ever though, so I'm of course a little biased. Doesn't seem anymore beautiful in terms of landscape than any other rural area of England, and there's a stark atmosphere there, like it was abandoned or something.
    I'm not referring to Clitheroe itself.

Do a google image search on things like the forst of bowland, trough of Bowland, Longridge fell, Bowland Fell etc. There is a reason why it has one of the highest percentage of millionaires in the country there. I just doubt you saw enough of my county Hildabeast would back me up if she was here...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)
    My school has an 'optional' termly donation thing which practically everyone pays. I guess other schools do the same.
    Heh I can never imagine anybody I know voluntarily donating.

ReputationRep:

Pretty.

ReputationRep:
    ''http://www.clitheroethefuture.co.uk/image%20connection.html''

If you say some of those pictures arent beautiful, i will conclude you are on glue

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.