This discussion is closed.
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Absolutely gorgeous, but, we live in England, it's the sort of thing you find up and down the country.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Absolutely gorgeous, but, we live in England, it's the sort of thing you find up and down the country.
Not quite. There is a reason why it inspired Tolkien for his landscape in Lord of the Rings.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Conduct an experiment. Get the best photo you can find of your area, you name a -shire country, and I'll find a competiting photo from that county, and we'll ask people to vote :P

edit: Actually, let's not.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Conduct an experiment. Get the best photo you can find of your area, you name a -shire country, and I'll find a competiting photo from that county, and we'll ask people to vote :P

edit: Actually, let's not.
Good edit.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
Not quite. There is a reason why it inspired Tolkien for his landscape in Lord of the Rings.
Oh, that's what people up there think, is it? Interesting - everyone here thinks the same!

Fishpaste - your first challenge is Shropshire
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
http://www.blackcountrypubs.com/SHRO...20MYND%208.JPG This is quite pretty,though I think what most attracts me is random island sheep.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Oh, that's what people up there think, is it? Interesting - everyone here thinks the same!

Fishpaste - your first challenge is Shropshire
Hmm, prove it, I can prove Lancashires case extremely well. He actually penned most of the books while at Stonyhurst.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm not referring to Clitheroe itself.

Do a google image search on things like the forst of bowland, trough of Bowland, Longridge fell, Bowland Fell etc. There is a reason why it has one of the highest percentage of millionaires in the country there. I just doubt you saw enough of my county Hildabeast would back me up if she was here...
Sorry, minor essay crisis!!! Yes, Bowland is gorgeous. Not been thre for ages though. I kinda miss Lancashire
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
This is taken from the village I've been living in for the last 5 years...
Attached files
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
Sorry, minor essay crisis!!! Yes, Bowland is gorgeous. Not been thre for ages though. I kinda miss Lancashire
Me too

I'm going home on friday though to watch t'rugby in Bolton. Going t' Preston train station too!!! lol.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
This is taken from the village I've been living in for the last 5 years...
That must be on the continent its too beuatiful for England.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hmm, prove it, I can prove Lancashires case extremely well. He actually penned most of the books while at Stonyhurst.
I don't really care, I just find it funny that most rural places in England seem to think that they are "The Shire." I thought he took about 20 years to write LotR and that a lot was done at Oxford?

Fishpaste - that is a nice one of the Long Mynd. The sheep there are evil though - tourists feed them, so they come up to everyone expecting food, and they can get quite aggressive.

Edit: Fishpaste, is that Lac Leman? I love Switzerland, can't wait to go back when I can afford it again.
blissy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Devon! I LOVE Devon (obviously, seeing as it's where I come from). COast and COuntry
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Aye, it's a village about 15kms outside Geneva, Switzerland.
Attached files
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Didn't Tolkein's son go to Stonyhurst or something? I've only seen the school from a distance but it's in a lush location and it's certainly a very distinctive building. My crappy sixth form college was Catholic so I think they had soome links with the school. There's lots of amazing countryside around Oxford but I haven't seen anything as green as Bowland.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
I don't really care, I just find it funny that most rural places in England seem to think that they are "The Shire." I thought he took about 20 years to write LotR and that a lot was done at Oxford?

Fishpaste - that is a nice one of the Long Mynd. The sheep there are evil though - tourists feed them, so they come up to everyone expecting food, and they can get quite aggressive.
Hehe. Lancashire has quite a firm claim see below:

''http://www.bbc.co.uk/lancashire/lifestyle/2003/12/12/tolkien.shtml''

''http://www.jrrtolkien.org.uk/stonyhurst_college.htm''

''http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/03/04/1014705028498.html''

The sheep where I live are evil. I go running in the moors and the ones with dirty great big horns dont back off during mating season, its a bit scary lol.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
Didn't Tolkein's son go to Stonyhurst or something? I've only seen the school from a distance but it's in a lush location and it's certainly a very distinctive building. My crappy sixth form college was Catholic so I think they had soome links with the school. There's lots of amazing countryside around Oxford but I haven't seen anything as green as Bowland.
See everyone. Lancashire is gods own county (not that we are biased or anything)

Yeh, One of his sons studied for his priesthood their and another of his sons taught there.

What shcool did you go to? All hallows?
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
O.k, last one, I promise
Attached files
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
Devon! I LOVE Devon (obviously, seeing as it's where I come from). COast and COuntry
Indeed, Devon is pretty. You dont have Blackpool though lol.
blissy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The sheep in Devon are too used to being hit by cars... when we take my niece up onto the moors she runs around going "sheepy sheepy" and they all run away.

You have to be quite careful with the Dartmoor ponies as well because they kick people
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (99)
13.49%
I'm not sure (32)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (230)
31.34%
I have already dropped out (17)
2.32%
I'm not a current university student (356)
48.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed