Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    But when I say people are reserved on here, I mean they seem like lovely people themselves, but I can't help getting the idea they want to say "you're going to find it a bit difficult with alot of the other people here."
    It's not that - as far as I'm aware, I can't think of any of my friends who have a problem with gay people. It's just that obviously I can't speak for everyone here, and not being gay myself, I can't give you a completely definitive answer. But, as you say, if you go in there confident of your choices, you're far likelier to have an easy time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    It's not that - as far as I'm aware, I can't think of any of my friends who have a problem with gay people. It's just that obviously I can't speak for everyone here, and not being gay myself, I can't give you a completely definitive answer. But, as you say, if you go in there confident of your choices, you're far likelier to have an easy time.
    I am very confident about who I am and what am doing.. (btw musicboy no dating agence needed- I have a steady boyfriend my sweetheart)

no matter how confident u r, having a bunch of homophobes around is not goin to make u feel better..and I cant really hide my sexuality- i find it frustrating and unfair
    its a big issue

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenrevolt)
    I am very confident about who I am and what am doing.. (btw musicboy no dating agence needed- I have a steady boyfriend my sweetheart)

no matter how confident u r, having a bunch of homophobes around is not goin to make u feel better..and I cant really hide my sexuality- i find it frustrating and unfair
    its a big issue
    Fishpaste and Green,

I find it totally unacceptable for men to behave as women (commonly referred to as 'queens'). Do you consider this to be a homophobic trait? Are any of you this way?

For example, Ricardo from the The Salon (Channel 4) totally disgusts me. Not because he is attracted to men, but because of his feminine antics and cross dressing. Do you think that the two issues are separate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mentally Ill)
    Fishpaste and Green,

I find it totally unacceptable for men to behave as women (commonly referred to as 'queens'). Do you consider this to be a homophobic trait? Are any of you this way?

For example, Ricardo from the The Salon (Channel 4) totally disgusts me. Not because he is attracted to men, but because of his feminine antics and cross dressing. Do you think that the two issues are separate?
    i dont like femine men either.,,( i dont cross dress, i dont wear make-up and guess what? i HATE Kyle..)
    there are different kinds of homosexuals u r right, and myself i dont hang out with "feminine" homosexuals, its not a homophobic trait, i think its just disgusting to see a 6 foot man dressed as woman and behaving as a Barbie

ReputationRep:
    I consider queens to be stupid but not disgusting. I think it is something you should try to get over if it honestly makes you sick. They are who they are and are not doing anything which intrudes upon yourself.

ReputationRep:
    I consider queens to be stupid but not disgusting. I think it is something you should try to get over if it honestly makes you sick. They are who they are and are not doing anything which intrudes upon yourself.
    they dont make me sick but i find it disgusting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mentally Ill)
    Fishpaste and Green,

I find it totally unacceptable for men to behave as women
    what about tomboys? isnt this just the reverse, yet it seems more acceptable in society?

Donna
    -x-

ReputationRep:
    Clare.

I didn't *see* any signs of homophobia, but I sense a huge reservation/uncertainty amongst the current students I talk to here =P
    I'm not in a position to speak from experience, and if I seem uncertain it's because consequently I am. I can offer my personal opinions and what I've heard others saying, but I can't say for sure how you'll find it.

I'm a pessimist, so I think you're probably going to find it a little different and you may even experience some homophobic behaviour yourself. Hopefully not by Clare students, other colleges are indeed less friendly. I don't think it's as bad as MentallyIll's colleagues seemed to have it though, at least I hope not. Two of the people from my school who've come here are now 'out', I was totally unaware of either of their sexual preferences before, and frankly I don't see any reason I should care.

Clare bar is supposed to be officially LBG friendly, I think I've mentioned this before when a Downing (I think) drinking soc member verbally abused a guy at our college. I think the guy was also Clare's LBG rep at the time. It was discussed almost immediately at an Union of Clare Students' Open meeting and although a motion to bar drinking societies was rejected the motion making the bar officially 'LBG friendly' was passed with apparently only one disapproval (the guy who disapproved is generally not very well liked and has dubious views on other subjects too). I don't think the motion has any tangible meaning, but it's more the principle that needed to be upheld.

There will more likely be inadvertant or borderline homophobia. For instance there are those who use the word "gay" as derrogatory, but if you actually confront them they'll nearly always say they couldn't care less about people's sexual preference and they only use the word through some misguided habit. I'm unsure how much when it's used in a derrogatory and swearing context are aware of its meaning. Such as a the disassociation of many swear words from their actual meaning.
    People are also likely to have two judgement systems, although they wouldn't care less about bf and gf walking along the street holding hands I know some people would regard bf and bf doing that as somewhat disgusting. Again if you actually ask them they don't seem to care what their sexual preference is, however, the dual standards is discrimination even if they don't intend it to be.

Some of the more overt problems you'll have is likely to be from the Christian movements in Cambridge, although they'll probably always tell you that you're 'wrong' in the nicest possible way they can think of. Probably also try and sell you the notion of reforming or something too - I don't know, I'm too cynical.

One of the guys from my school (which was quite homophobic and repressive - boys only so therefore had to be seen overtly not to be or something) is currently one of the Clare LBG reps. He probably won't actually be here next year because he's a linguist but I don't think he's had problems. I could give you his email if you wanted a better appraisal of the situation here.

If you do get problems, then when it's being done in the inadvertent or dual standards way if you challenge them you'll probably get a positive response. The more overt people would be less susceptible to reason though. Whatever, if you do get any harassment, don't stand for it and tell someone (LBG reps or Tutor or Dean of Students or someone). It should then get sorted.

To be honest, having written all that, I really don't think it's something to concern yourself over about coming here - it really ought to be a non-issue.

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irishtrep)
    oriel and worcester.

wadham is a really gay-friendly place. in fact, I would say oxford in general is a very gay-friendly uni.
    worcester? i thought they had one of the biggest LGB ratios in oxford?

ther's quite a big gay community in ChCh, theres no prejudice or things like that....

ReputationRep:
    thnx a lot Alaric for reply- u sound more optimistic than many of the people i know, or should i say less pessimist? anyway we dont live in heaven so i guess homophobia exists, it's just that I would hate it if I have to hear comments such as, "If u lived during the Third Reich u would have been gased and I would have danced on the ashes of u and the other homos" - comment made last week during History AS by a class"mate" while I was doing a presentation on homosexuals in Nazi gErmany

ReputationRep:
    it's just that I would hate it if I have to hear comments such as, "If u lived during the Third Reich u would have been gased and I would have danced on the ashes of u and the other homos" - comment made last week during History AS by a class"mate" while I was doing a presentation on homosexuals in Nazi gErmany
    WTF!

That's outrageous! Nobody should put up with stuff like that, I hope you made him bleed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    WTF!

That's outrageous! Nobody should put up with stuff like that, I hope you made him bleed.
    i couldnt make an official complain about it :mad: but he was forced to apologise

ReputationRep:
    i couldnt make an official complain about it :mad: but he was forced to apologise
    why couldn't you make an official complaint? That is kid sounds like the sort of scum who should be taken out of mainstream education. Can you please post his/her phone number in the forum. I am always up at 4 in the morning and I might just have to phone him/her and explain the problems with his views on homosexuals.

Musicboy

ReputationRep:
    _
    (Original post by musicboy)
    why couldn't you make an official complaint? That is kid sounds like the sort of scum who should be taken out of mainstream education. Can you please post his/her phone number in the forum. I am always up at 4 in the morning and I might just have to phone him/her and explain the problems with his views on homosexuals.

Musicboy
    hahaha thnx for the support unfortunately I dont have his phone number but i can find out if u want:P...in Cyprus, where i live, homophobic attitudes are cultivated, not so much in private education but really in public schools many teachers will make homophobic remarks and they will be applauded by the students, i guess respecting a person's identity is not so much of an issue..Imagine if i went to the school dance with my boyfriend..I'd propably suffer from humiliation:P things are different where I live and the only thing one can do is to accept it and move on (True Rebel

ReputationRep:
    _

hahaha thnx for the support unfortunately I dont have his phone number but i can find out if u want:P...in Cyprus, where i live, homophobic attitudes are cultivated, not so much in private education but really in public schools many teachers will make homophobic remarks and they will be applauded by the students, i guess respecting a person's identity is not so much of an issue..Imagine if i went to the school dance with my boyfriend..I'd propably suffer from humiliation:P things are different where I live and the only thing one can do is to accept it and move on (True Rebel
    Which is odd given Cyprus' link with Greece. Forgive me if this seems rascist but Greece always seemed to have a very homo-erotic bent to it what with the whole men-getting-drunk-and-insisting-on-dancing-together-without-any-women-involved-like-in-that-lynx-advert.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faboba)
    Which is odd given Cyprus' link with Greece. Forgive me if this seems rascist but Greece always seemed to have a very homo-erotic bent to it what with the whole men-getting-drunk-and-insisting-on-dancing-together-without-any-women-involved-like-in-that-lynx-advert.
    u could also believe that the Big Fat Greek Wedding is true :P

ReputationRep:
    Could you perhaps explain why Clitheroe seems to come up time after time after time in the public school community? Is it some kind of old boy HQ? Seemed like an impoverished, depressing northern town when I visited it :/
    It's hardly impoverished, it is a rich area with very high house prices.

ReputationRep:
    I see. Begs the question why would you want to establish such a top notch institution in such a place? I saw Royal Clitheroe Grammar School, I'm sure the teachers are great, but it's one declining setup they have there.
    What do you mean, 'declining'?

ReputationRep:
    He goes there? Oh wow, hope I don't upset him. Declining in that they didn't seem to be maintaining the building all that well, and the resources seemed rather limited.
    You should see the sixth form, though the main school is falling apart, I admit.

The problem is we have the same allowance as every other state school, but two sites half a mile apart to spend it on so we have to buy two of everything.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.