Ramadam brawl at American theme park

Watch
Flying Flowers
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Mass brawl at theme park after Muslim women are banned from going on rides unless they remove their head scarves

# 15 people arrested at New York's Rye Playland
# Two parks rangers hospitalised after violence
# Muslim visitors say police treated them 'like animals'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2032031/Ramadan-brawl-Rye-Playland-theme-park-Muslim-women-banned-rides.html#ixzz1WjSv2zbG

A theme park was forced to shut its gates to visitors when a mass brawl broke out after Muslim women were banned from rides unless they removed their headscarves.

Two park rangers were injured and 15 people, including three women, were arrested in the scuffle at Rye Playland in New York yesterday. They have since been charged with disorderly conduct and assault.

Muslim visitors involved in the fight accused police of brutality and claimed they were treated 'like animals'. One said: 'It's clear, this all happened because we're Muslim.

The incident started at around 2pm when the theme park was crowded with around 6,000 visitors. Roughly 3,000 were in a Muslim tour group celebrating a holiday at the end of Ramadan.

Trouble reportedly flared when women wearing Muslim hijab scarves tried to get on rides banning any head coverings.

The women were refused entry and offered refunds - but then male and female visitors started to argue among themselves, Westchester County officials said.

That apparently led to park guards stepping in, sparking the huge brawl. The park entrance was closed for two hours as the fighting escalated.

Ola Salem, 17, of Brooklyn, New York, was wearing a headscarf and said she was denied entry onto a ride with her eight-year-old sister.

'They said no because my of my "headgear",' she told the New York Times. 'I said: "It’s not my headgear, it’s my religion".'
PKU_Research007
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
And if you actually read the report is because that it was considered a liability because the amusement park has had multiple deaths lately.
JamesNeedHelp2
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Huh? how can they not be allowed to have fun like the other 6000 participants?
Badges: 13
Report 9 years ago
\'
Last edited by 737300; 1 year ago
JamesNeedHelp2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
[QUOTE=Adidas90;33795602]because they look like ninjas, and ninjas don't have fun. Do you know nothing?[/QUOTE]

I know how to formulate a simple English sentence. Something you are obviously lacking......
Darth Stewie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Rules are rules, if a theme park doesn't want people wearing things on their head on their rides then that needs to be respected

Completely stupid thing to fight over though
crazycake93
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by PKU_Research007)
And if you actually read the report is because that it was considered a liability because the amusement park has had multiple deaths lately.
Ah, so the ladies were supposed to know that as fact. Rather than it being explained to them - in post 9/11, where most muslims in America have been exposed to racism, they would have thought straight away that it was blatent discrimination.
abc_1234
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Adidas90)
because they look like ninjas, and ninjas don't have fun. Do you know nothing?
The OP says head scarfs. Head scarfs cover the head, not the face :rolleyes:
Report 9 years ago
Report 9 years ago
''
bengalisoldier
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
F**k USA b****
JamesNeedHelp2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Adidas90)
What is wrong with my sentence?
Don't you know anything?
MAlec
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Scarf gets caught somehow, BAM, they're sued for neglect.
*Funky-buddha*
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If they were aware of this and it was made clear on their website or through appropriate advertisements before the group bought the tickets then they they can't expect what could be a safety risk ( I don't see why it would be but still) to be waived for them.
Can you imagine if one of these women had been allowed on and then subsequently hurt herself, the uproar and legal claims that could be brought forward due to the park's negligence?
Safety is safety, they just have to deal with it.

IF however they were not made aware before hand i.e through proper advertisement on the website etc then I can see why the group would be angry as essentially you're paying for a service you're not getting, which you should have been told about beforehand.

Anyway I can understand heightened tensions and all, but a brawl, really?

What happened to the good old days of threats of legal action, speaking to someone higher, protests and media involvement ¬_¬
Report 9 years ago
rr
The Patriot
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
"It's not headgear, it's my religion".

No, It's headgear. A belief in Allah does not prevent a headscarf being headgear.
Fat-Love
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm surprised people aren't negging and repping left,right and centre. Who knows, maybe tsr is making a change.

EDIT: My mistake - perhaps I was just too early to the thread to notice.
Nightstar-27
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If they can't see why they can't wear the headscarf on the rides, let them wear it next time and see what good the religion is when the scarf gets caught in part of the ride and injure/kills them.

Edit: People can't take harsh comments clearly, well when they were told that they couldn't wear it and I'm assuming they were told it was for their own safety they clearly didn't believe it. If people are so convinced the park is just discriminating against them to the point they would cause a brawl then maybe they would see that isn't the case if they were allowed to wear them on the ride.
Nightstar-27
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by *Funky-buddha*)
If they were aware of this and it was made clear on their website or through appropriate advertisements before the group bought the tickets then they they can't expect what could be a safety risk ( I don't see why it would be but still) to be waived for them.
Can you imagine if one of these women had been allowed on and then subsequently hurt herself, the uproar and legal claims that could be brought forward due to the park's negligence?
Safety is safety, they just have to deal with it.

IF however they were not made aware before hand i.e through proper advertisement on the website etc then I can see why the group would be angry as essentially you're paying for a service you're not getting, which you should have been told about beforehand.

Anyway I can understand heightened tensions and all, but a brawl, really?

What happened to the good old days of threats of legal action, speaking to someone higher, protests and media involvement ¬_¬
They were offered refunds. I honestly don't see why a brawl was over it but even I realised the health risks insistently just reading this.
Cicerao
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by JamesNeedHelp2)
Don't you know anything?
Nothing wrong with the sentence. :lolwut: I'm going to hazard a guess and say you misread it as "don't you know nothing?"

And the row is ridiculous. It's for safety. It's not like they were stopped from walking round wearing the scarves.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (98)
5.07%
Uncertainty around my education (290)
15.01%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (205)
10.61%
Lack of purpose or motivation (270)
13.98%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (85)
4.4%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (111)
5.75%
Loneliness (166)
8.59%
Financial worries (69)
3.57%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (86)
4.45%
Exposure to negative news/social media (92)
4.76%
Lack of real life entertainment (106)
5.49%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (170)
8.8%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (184)
9.52%

Watched Threads