The Student Room Group
Reply 1
i_need_help
does cambridge only admit applicants once in a year? is there any chance they give offers like later in the summer?

I think there was something called the summer pool....but I can't remember....I think it was a pool that was created if too many didn't meet their offer....so to accept more....
Short answer, yes.

The summer pool is for candidates who already have an offer but miss slightly, so that other colleges can see if they want to offer them a place anyway.
Reply 3
You can only get into cambridge if you have already applied. The summer pool is for candidates who are accepted, miss their offers and are given a place at another college. You are not going to be called up in August with them saying they want you after all
Reply 4
Yup but its so few people that its not worth bothering with really. not worth getting peoples hopes up
Im assuming that the summer pool only applies to those who applied originally in october... Isnt it also for people who were guarenteed a place but the uni couldnt allocate them a college in jan pool so they take the offers people turn down or miss. I do know a few people who missed their offers or were rejected and rang up after results to see if any college would take them though, but i cant say that many were successful
Reply 6
No, undergraduate offers are given by colleges, not faculties. Therefore the university doesn't guarantee places for people - colleges do. Maybe you're thinking of Durham.
Reply 7
I think Cambridge do open offers for vetmed though don't they?
Reply 8
Oxford for some subjects have an allocation on arrival system for certain subjects but this is not the case at cambridge. This is known as an open offer

Cambidge use the summer pool for candidates who despite missing their offer are good enough to come but their college is basically full . So other colleges who are undersubscribed can take in some people from the pool. It is not a pool for people who are guarenteed a place just not at a particular college
Reply 9
cf Vanessa (French_Pikachu) last Summer. She missed her IB offer by one on one of the stipulated grades, but overshot it overall (iirc). She was pooled from Downing after results day and Queens' took her. Oh, the twisting lanes of fate.

It's not something that you should rely on though, I don't know of anybody else who got in through it.
Reply 10
coldfish
cf Vanessa (French_Pikachu) last Summer. She missed her IB offer by one on one of the stipulated grades, but overshot it overall (iirc). She was pooled from Downing after results day and Queens' took her. Oh, the twisting lanes of fate.

It's not something that you should rely on though, I don't know of anybody else who got in through it.

Ironically when it was remarked she got the grades required for Downing.

Latest

Trending

Trending