Starting Year 11 - Any tips?

Watch this thread
TheTechGuy
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Well, Todays the end of the summer holidays for me - Final year at school. And im dreading it, due to all the stories people are telling me. Great.

Has anyone got any tips on how to survive it properley? (With regards to exams etc) - So far, ive been doing good in the modular exams (Except french, which i flopped hard), but it seems like its going to be seriousley hard in Year 11.

Anyone got any advice on how to keep stress-free and focused to get through it?

Thanks in advance.

(It may be a stupid question, but im a slightly stupid person :cool: )
c3ntury
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 years ago
Hey, I'm in the completely same boat as you

My advice would be to start revising gently now, but prioritise for the love of god! If you have exams in November, start revising now, but don't start revising for June exams until March or so
BeHappy
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
You don't need to revise properly and seriously now, that can wait until about March/early next year as the above has said.

The stories people are telling you are likely to be really exagerrated, I mean they probably think by telling awful stories it will make themselves look bigger. :rolleyes:

There's no way of 'surviving it properly' but it flies past, honestly and you dread each exam but before you know it it's over and you think, why did I dread it?
The work next year will be full on and teachers will keep on reminding you about the exams but they only want the best for you, so their scare tactics are just to make you push on.

By the sounds of it you seem really organised and determined to do well and work hard, that's a great start You're better than most!
Just keep focused, and think that even when your family are going to the beach and you have to stay at home to revise it won't last long and before you know it you'll be so relieved when it's all over.

Drink properly, eat properly, take time to RELAX. I know people say to eat healthily, but when revising eat sweets and chocolate and biscuits, food you enjoy no point munching on carrot sticks if you don't like them and they aren't cheering you up! I did, just be a fatty for a couple of weeks! :oink:
But drink water, a headache when you're revising is absolutely the worst thing.
Oh and revise outside, I did like 1 hour revision outside, then couple of minutes on the trampoline. Buuut, put weigh down all you notes, wear suncream and have an umbrella and water.
I find the Radio [Fearne Cotton yay] helps me and some good music, invest in some, it'll be worth it!

But you will be fine
Jonesdawiz
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Just enjoy the next year, I revised like 2 weeks before and came out with good grades and didn't find it hard at all

When you do start revising do 40 minutes then 20 break etc.. more goes in.. Don't listen to music because it's proven that you take in less because you become focused on the lyrics despite how quiet it is. Just stop worrying, your teachers will tell you when to start revising
Farm_Vet_in_the_making
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Honestly, don't worry, I remember this time last year I felt exactly like you and the year above me always gave us stick for moaning about GCSE's. Yes, at times you are going to want to rip your hair out at stupid teachers, but year 11 is so enjoyable. As others above have said, if you keep on top of your work and work hard you'll have no reason to worry.

Don't burn yourself out though. If you want to start revision immediately, go ahead, but you really don't need to. Start in March, it'll tire you out by the end anyway.

Take breaks, don't try to cram in everything for hours on end, it doesn't work. Oh and don't pay any attention to some people boasting about not revising blah blah blah. I promise you results day is worth it.

Good luck!
AmyLH
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Enjoy it, year 11 was the best year by far for me. Pay attention in lessons (something I probably should have done a bit more) and revision will be stupidly easy come exam time. The only thing that caught me out was slacking with my coursework which meant my grades got dragged down from A*s to As in some subjects and from As to Bs in others.
username458263
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Any tips? Don't moan about how hard your workload is, you'll make everyone doing A-levels want to kill you. And just be reasonably relaxed in the knowledge that 1) GCSEs don't matter *that* much; and 2) GCSEs are easy.
ummm
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Just relax. The biggest tip, for me anyway, would have been that they are not nearly as difficult, important or life-determining as people, especially teachers, make them out to be. I really let all the pressure and stress get to me so kind of had a nervous breakdown before my first exam. But they really don't matter that much, so don't push yourself too hard! I recommend starting revision for summer exams during the Easter holidays and to start revision for January modules at some point during the Christmas holidays - takes off a lot of the stress! Good luck anyway, and don't worry, you'll do fine as long as you put in the effort. Just don't go overboard!
Pandora.
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by TheTechGuy)
Well, Todays the end of the summer holidays for me - Final year at school. And im dreading it, due to all the stories people are telling me. Great.

Has anyone got any tips on how to survive it properley? (With regards to exams etc) - So far, ive been doing good in the modular exams (Except french, which i flopped hard), but it seems like its going to be seriousley hard in Year 11.

Thanks in advance.

I can't tell you what Year 11 will be like, but feel free to join us in the Year 11 Thread. We're all in the same boat there .
Florence321
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Stay organised, don't get behind with your work, don't get stressed!
I found that the idea of doing GCSEs was much worse than actually taking them. My biggest problem last year was that I started to lose focus towards the end, having to sign off all the coursework and get everything finished was just pretty boring, as was the whole routine and doing all those past papers etc...so just try to stay focussed for those last few months when you feel like you can't be bothered anymore, as much of a cliche as it sounds it really will be worth it when on results day you can drink to celebrate rather than drown your sorrows!

I started revising properly in the Easter holidays I think, and it turned out fine. The teachers had said start revising earlier but unless you really struggle/need to make up for bad coursework grades/haven't been doing well in mocks April is fine.

Also, do have a life during the exam period. Some of my friends literally missed meals because they were working so hard...don't do that.
Xx.MissEG.xX
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 10 years ago

Thanks in advance.

Year 11 is not that stressful at all! It is a really enjoyable year and there isn't that much work at all. It really will FLY past though, and it won't be long enough before you will be sobbing and hugging everyone in your leaver's assembly.

1. Anyway, getting off the point there. The work is not hard at all, you just have to make sure yo understand everything in lessons. One thing that is really important is that you get the best grade in your coursework and always do it on time and ask your teacher to help you improve on it. It really does pay off in the end, and for English if you have high coursework you may find that you only need 18/27 or so on each section to get an A*. So yeah, that would be the first piece of advice.

In terms of exams and revision, I honestly don't think there is any need to spend hours and hours revising for your exams from September.. Just make sure you always know what is going on in the lesson and go over things if you don't understand them and do your homework. I would say that the ideal time to start revising for your exams would be March/ Easter holidays and start by revising your hardest subject, so that when the exams get closer you can also revise for other subjects and you will be confident also on the subjects you find hard and will be able to just go over things and won't have to panic trying to cram everything in.

3. I don't know what the school you go to is like, but I went to a not-very-good state comp and whilst a had a couple of really amazing and supportive teachers, some were really unsupportive and had the attitude that 'a C is enough'. This can ofter be dis-heartening, but you should always try to achieve your goals and get the grades you want, not what others think you should get (whether it's othere students or teachers).. For example I was predicted a D in GCSE English and was in a low set and had to keep asking to be moved up.. I didn't get moved up but studied for the higher tier on my own and then asked if I could do the higher tier and not foundation like the rest of the class and ended up getting a B, being put into the top set, re-sitting and getting an A*. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help from your teachers, even if that might mean that you will have to come back on your own after school, because if it means that you will get a higher grade, it's worth it. Towards the end of Year 11, I realised that it dosn't matter what others think, and that I should just focus on my exams and not care about anyone else. I think this is really important, and you should not leave revision until a few days before your exams just because others are.

4. My last piece of advice would probably be, ehm, don't be cocky. I know that I could have done much better in maths if I wasn't. Due to the attitude of others that 'GCSE maths is p*ss easy' I left the revision until one week before the exam, realised we haven't been taught half of the things on the higher tier, panicked and had to try to cram everything in. Not cool.

5. Oh, and try to find a calm place without distractions to revise in. For me this was definately the library. I just took a drink and some books with me and revised for a few hours until I felt I couldn't do much more/ felt tired.. This way I got two/three hours of proper revision done, instead of sitiing in front of the laptop with textbooks for three hours, getting about an hour of actual proper revision done.. and Remember, past papers are the best way to revise for science subjects. As for English, it always helps to do practise questions and getting them marked by your teacher and asking for ways to improve on your writing.

I know that during my GCSEs I had a few breakdowns , and sometimes felt awful about everything, but Year 11 is a really nice year and I enjoyed it and will miss my old school and GCSEs, so my advice would be to just try to enjoy it really.

EDIT: Oh yes, and eating healthily might help too. Our English teacher used to tell us to stop eating crap, and that it has been proven that eating helthily helps you focus, etc. Drink plenty of water, DO not drink coffeine, get plenty of sleep and di NOT pull an all-nighter the night before your exam trying to cram things in because it will only make you tired, stress you out and will most likely result in you doing worse that you could have done. Also get some time to relax during revision so that you don't get all depressed and stressed out about your exams..

Wow, that took time.
ThisIsMe19
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
[QUOTE=TheTechGuy;33802583]
Hi...
Do you go to STJL?
amiira456
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Don't just rely on teachers to explain things to you, make sure your constantly revise and ask friends to help you.
Don't stress
Year11girl
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Ok ik it is 2017 but i started year 11 a week ago and i am kind of lost to be honest...haha.Idk how to manage that many info for such a short period of time.. Suggestions of how to stay motivated?
KieranAdam
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

Thanks in advance.

Hey there,

My three main tips would be the following:
1. Don't look at it as survival. Don't buy into the same fear mentality as many people around you. You don't need that stress, and you don't need to join that club.
2. Use self-discipline, when it comes to revising and your mind-set. Dedicate regular time to do the work you need to do. There will be times where you cannot be bothered to do the work, but self-discipline will ensure that you keep going. If you apply it, it will help you get closer to where you want to go.
3. Take up meditation. This is something you won't hear often, but it will help you mentally. Headspace is a great app, but Youtube has guided meditations as well!

Hope this helps.

Regards
username3518358
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I think the key tip is to stay organised and keep on top of your work. Make sure that you don't leave homework to the last minute etc and start revising stuff earlier rather than later... Thats my strategy anyway. Make sure you do give yourself some time off, but organisation is definitely the key!
Saifr65
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
YOUre probably in uni now. Time flies by.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (146)
29.2%
It went fairly well (236)
47.2%
It didn't go too well (75)
15%
TERRIBLE! (43)
8.6%

Watched Threads