This discussion is closed.
skin
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi!

Just starting my physics practical investigation, I've decided to go with "Support of a Ball in a Jet". My basic apparatus are an Air Jet and a Ping-Pong Ball.

I made a jig that the air jet could sit in and decided to measure the height the ball gained at different angles. I measured the air flow to be 19ms. I now realise that the height will not vary from any angle between 90-40 degrees from the horizontal. My problem is what to try and look into now?

I thought about investigating why the ball drops to the floor after a certain angle, i've found this angle to be 38 degrees from the horizontal, unfortunately I don't know why this happens! I'd like some help from users of this board as to why after a certain angle the ball cannot be supported.

Ta for now, I'll post more information after I've completed a few more initial tests, help me people!
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
have you done any research into the bernouilli principle? that would be a good place to start
skin
yeah, good suggestion. I've just this minute been looking at bernoulli and drag coefficient. Does the bernouilli principle treat air as a fluid. Faster moving air means less pressure. OK thats something I'll look into more detail. How about drilling small holes in the Ping-Pong Ball, reducing surface area? This should result in a lower height gain.

Can anyone think of other things to consider?
skin
anymore ideas lads? and lasses :P
skin
:s Help me, need to 1v1 with my teacher and present to the class what I intend to Investigate and find !

/me worries
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (172)
24.86%
Better than expected (144)
20.81%
Worse than expected (376)
54.34%

Watched Threads