Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Just starting my physics practical investigation, I've decided to go with "Support of a Ball in a Jet". My basic apparatus are an Air Jet and a Ping-Pong Ball.

I made a jig that the air jet could sit in and decided to measure the height the ball gained at different angles. I measured the air flow to be 19ms. I now realise that the height will not vary from any angle between 90-40 degrees from the horizontal. My problem is what to try and look into now?

I thought about investigating why the ball drops to the floor after a certain angle, i've found this angle to be 38 degrees from the horizontal, unfortunately I don't know why this happens! I'd like some help from users of this board as to why after a certain angle the ball cannot be supported.

Ta for now, I'll post more information after I've completed a few more initial tests, help me people!

ReputationRep:
    have you done any research into the bernouilli principle? that would be a good place to start

ReputationRep:
    yeah, good suggestion. I've just this minute been looking at bernoulli and drag coefficient. Does the bernouilli principle treat air as a fluid. Faster moving air means less pressure. OK thats something I'll look into more detail. How about drilling small holes in the Ping-Pong Ball, reducing surface area? This should result in a lower height gain.

Can anyone think of other things to consider?

ReputationRep:
    anymore ideas lads? and lasses :P

ReputationRep:
    :s Help me, need to 1v1 with my teacher and present to the class what I intend to Investigate and find !

/me worries

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.