The Student Room Group

UK Medical School International Applicants Discussion Megathread 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Iz08
It's more than that. There are various legal issues, including liability with regards to a minor. These problems are worse for international students; some universities that do accept under-age candidates require appointment of legal guardian in UK.

You are not automatically rejected because of age, you may be offered deferred entry.

Some unis can be unfair and plainly reject you, so you might as well apply to those that do specify the age aspect as deferred, and those that don't care as direct entry! You never know how mean universities can be until it happens to you!
Original post by Metastasis

Original post by wavezone113

Original post by Metastasis

Original post by llamelvin

Thank you very much! I do think there will be a flat-fee system too for 2012/2013, but let's just hope there is not! Even if it is, I really hope the fees would not increase as they are already very expensive for us internationals >_<
Original post by A_B_D

Original post by A_B_D
Does anyone know if it is more difficult for an international applicant to get into medicine than a &quot;Home (UK/EU)&quot; student ?

As an international applicant, I personally feel it is more difficult due to the level of competition we face. I wouldn't say that it isn't difficult for the locals, because I am sure they have their own difficulties to overcome.

I can't be sure as to whether the basic entry requirements are higher because from the sources I checked, they are basically the same. But what makes it so much more difficult is the extremely limited number of places allocated to the vast numbers of internationals who are applying. In addition to this could be the notion that most internationals who manage to fight off their competitors and land a place in a UK medical school are usually top students from their countries.

Don't worry too much though, if Medicine is meant for you and you are meant for it, I'm sure there will be a way despite the competition! After all, it isn't as if no one gets into Medicine because of the competition :smile:
Reply 903
Original post by aeyurttaser13
Exactly! Tell that to unis like UCL, manchester, and many others..

Manchester too? Are you serious??? I'm so stressed out now...
Original post by doctork2
Ah, that explains it... That's quite unfortunate. In countries like South Korea, people's ages all change in New Years, not on their birthday - so those problems aren't very prominent there.

A bit late, but not strictly true. Just saying.
Reply 905
Original post by hslakaal
A bit late, but not strictly true. Just saying.

Really? I always thought it wasnt a big deal in Korea. Can you explain to me how it works in Korea?
Original post by doctork2
Really? I always thought it wasnt a big deal in Korea. Can you explain to me how it works in Korea?

Whilst it's true that the age changes that way, you've got to remember the late born-ers (Jan&Feb people, who get to enter uni one year earlier). They can't even drink whilst all their mates can, even if in the same uni year Besides, the other reason is there's practically no patient contact at all in the first 2 years of med school in Korea. :smile:
Original post by Music_Xu
Manchester too? Are you serious??? I'm so stressed out now...

im not 100% sure, but i think that was what i read as i researched. email them to make sure, i hope im mistaken for ur benefit :wink:
Reply 908
Anyone with a rejection from Bristol without interview?
Original post by Kaylain
Anyone with a rejection from Bristol without interview?

there were a few people that were rejected without interview a while back (4-6 weeks)
Reply 910
Hello everyone,

As for myself, I received my second and third rejections from Edinburgh and Southampton. I asked for feedback from Edinburgh and they said my academic score was very good but the non-academic score was below average. As for SOTON, I'll ask for feedback tonight. However, Edinburgh offered me to apply for the medical sciences program, to which I agreed. I'm still waiting to hear from them. The problem is that where I live, they don't let non-nationals do clinical work and such, and there aren't many extra-currics usually in this country as well. AGHH. So my last hope is Aberdeen in the UK, and I have a plan B in Ireland. But now I'm starting to think a plan B for my plan B (i.e. a plan C :P ) It's just so frustrating, especially the fact that the two rejections came almost two to three weeks apart. Oh, well, c'est la vie. Oh, and a quick question: Do they usually have the A100 in extra if anyone gets all rejections? And another question for us internationals: Anyone knows of any medical courses in the US or Canada that are 6/7 years (i.e. direct entry) and are still open for admissions? And possibly that don't need SATs? Even a 4 + 4 program would be fine as long as no SATs are required AND if they're still open.

Regards,
Hisham.
Original post by HishamG
Hello everyone,

As for myself, I received my second and third rejections from Edinburgh and Southampton. I asked for feedback from Edinburgh and they said my academic score was very good but the non-academic score was below average. As for SOTON, I'll ask for feedback tonight. However, Edinburgh offered me to apply for the medical sciences program, to which I agreed. I'm still waiting to hear from them. The problem is that where I live, they don't let non-nationals do clinical work and such, and there aren't many extra-currics usually in this country as well. AGHH. So my last hope is Aberdeen in the UK, and I have a plan B in Ireland. But now I'm starting to think a plan B for my plan B (i.e. a plan C :P ) It's just so frustrating, especially the fact that the two rejections came almost two to three weeks apart. Oh, well, c'est la vie. Oh, and a quick question: Do they usually have the A100 in extra if anyone gets all rejections? And another question for us internationals: Anyone knows of any medical courses in the US or Canada that are 6/7 years (i.e. direct entry) and are still open for admissions? And possibly that don't need SATs? Even a 4 + 4 program would be fine as long as no SATs are required AND if they're still open.

Regards,
Hisham.

No A100 isn't in the "extra courses" that you can apply to if you've been rejected by your other choices.

There are no direct entry courses in Canada or the states, because if there was................................ A ton of other applicants and myself would just enter that instead.

btw where are you applying from? (i assume the states)
Reply 912
Original post by excalibere
No A100 isn't in the "extra courses" that you can apply to if you've been rejected by your other choices.

There are no direct entry courses in Canada or the states, because if there was................................ A ton of other applicants and myself would just enter that instead.

btw where are you applying from? (i assume the states)

Hey, yeah there are no direct entrys in Canada but there are a few in the US. Example: http://science.psu.edu/premed/premedmed/accelerated-premed-medical or http://www.mc.uky.edu/meded/bsmd/

But they are insanely hard to get into
Reply 913
Hey everyone! On a different note, does anyone know if Bristol or Queen's Belfast are still holding interviews? I know that Bristol has a reputation of being very last minute but I'm not sure about Queen's.
Anyone with an interview or a rejection? :smile:
Original post by priya90
Hey everyone! On a different note, does anyone know if Bristol or Queen's Belfast are still holding interviews? I know that Bristol has a reputation of being very last minute but I'm not sure about Queen's.
Anyone with an interview or a rejection? :smile:

Maybe try checking out their individual medical school forums? You might get more relevant information there :smile:
Reply 915
I think I've just lost hope now,
I am still waiting on Leeds and Aberdeen but I figure its much too late to issue an interview.

I really wish they could just reject me so I can stop thinking about them :P

Either way, I have a couple different Plan B options and since my age (16 at the time I applied...) was an issue for some of the universities,
I figure I will try applying again next year if I cannot find another option.

Good luck to everyone waiting on an offer or interview!
Reply 916
Original post by Samy
I am still waiting on Leeds and Aberdeen but I figure its much too late to issue an interview.

Either way, I have a couple different Plan B options and since my age (16 at the time I applied...) was an issue for some of the universities,

Samy,

Cheer Up! You are still young. You can try it again next year.
Original post by Samy

You're so young! :eek: compared to me anyway :P

Don't worry too much about the interviews yet. Unless the schools have released a statement saying that all interview offers have been given out, you still have a chance, so keep being positive!

Moreover, like you said, you have a few alternative options.. so it's not that bad :smile: Good luck!
Reply 918
Anybody here who is from North America that is applying to Edinburgh for medicine?
Reply 919
Original post by ukmed108
Samy,

Cheer Up! You are still young. You can try it again next year.

I hope so, this has definitely given me experience to apply again next year with an even stronger application!

Original post by Happymelon
You're so young! :eek: compared to me anyway :P

Don't worry too much about the interviews yet. Unless the schools have released a statement saying that all interview offers have been given out, you still have a chance, so keep being positive!

Moreover, like you said, you have a few alternative options.. so it's not that bad :smile: Good luck!

That's true :biggrin:. I've been waiting for nearly 5 months, I can still wait a couple of weeks I guess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending