Turn on thread page Beta

"If it's irony you're aiming for, you might need to make it a bit clearer" watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    "If it's irony you're aiming for, you might need to make it a bit clearer" - a comment from my English Lecturer noted on a coursework piece.

Any suggestions on how to make the irony clearer in this snippet?

"Societies range from the ridiculously sublime tiddlywinks club to the heated charms of the debating society; both of which have achieved a surprisingly high status among students."

ReputationRep:
    your teacher is right, that doesnt sound very ironic.

as for improving it, well im hopeless at english! im a physicist for gordon bennnet's sake!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Surfing Hamster)
    "If it's irony you're aiming for, you might need to make it a bit clearer" - a comment from my English Lecturer noted on a coursework piece.

"Societies range from the ridiculously sublime tiddlywinks club to the heated charms of the debating society; both of which have achieved a surprisingly high status among students."
    I find your avatar offensive. What if somebody did have epilepsy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisbphd)
    Hmm..I see what you mean.

Maybe I should make my font bigger for people with poor eyesight, and enhance the contrast?

Get over it! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisbphd)
    Then the answer would be, 'yes'.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    Societies range from the ridiculously sublime tiddlywinks club to the heated charms of the debating society; both of which have achieved a surprisingly high status among students."
    Societies range from the sublime yet enticing tiddlywinks club to the heated attraction of the debating society; both of which have achieved a high status among students that can only be described as "perplexing".

ReputationRep:

*windblows tumble weed*

don't see the irony at all

maybe you should pick on something more obscure than debating.

ReputationRep:

I don't know about making it more ironical but the "rediculously sublime tiddlywinks club bit doesn't flow very well.

ReputationRep:
    A professional tiddlywinks player is called a winker, true fact. Hehehe it was on Big Brother I think...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2004
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.