"If it's irony you're aiming for, you might need to make it a bit clearer"

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Surfing Hamster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
"If it's irony you're aiming for, you might need to make it a bit clearer" - a comment from my English Lecturer noted on a coursework piece.

Any suggestions on how to make the irony clearer in this snippet?

"Societies range from the ridiculously sublime tiddlywinks club to the heated charms of the debating society; both of which have achieved a surprisingly high status among students."
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
your teacher is right, that doesnt sound very ironic.

as for improving it, well im hopeless at english! im a physicist for gordon bennnet's sake!
chrisbphd
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Surfing Hamster)
"If it's irony you're aiming for, you might need to make it a bit clearer" - a comment from my English Lecturer noted on a coursework piece.

"Societies range from the ridiculously sublime tiddlywinks club to the heated charms of the debating society; both of which have achieved a surprisingly high status among students."
I find your avatar offensive. What if somebody did have epilepsy?
Surfing Hamster
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by chrisbphd)
Hmm..I see what you mean.

Maybe I should make my font bigger for people with poor eyesight, and enhance the contrast?

Get over it! :rolleyes:
Ben.S.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by chrisbphd)
Then the answer would be, 'yes'.

Ben
llama boy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Societies range from the ridiculously sublime tiddlywinks club to the heated charms of the debating society; both of which have achieved a surprisingly high status among students."
Societies range from the sublime yet enticing tiddlywinks club to the heated attraction of the debating society; both of which have achieved a high status among students that can only be described as "perplexing".
hattori
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

*windblows tumble weed*

don't see the irony at all

maybe you should pick on something more obscure than debating.
emom100
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

I don't know about making it more ironical but the "rediculously sublime tiddlywinks club bit doesn't flow very well.
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
A professional tiddlywinks player is called a winker, true fact. Hehehe it was on Big Brother I think...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (18)
22.22%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (17)
20.99%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (46)
56.79%

Watched Threads