The Student Room Group

GKT or SGUL?

I need some advice, good people on the TSR!! :biggrin:

I'm an international student from Canada, and I am looking forward to applying to the UK in order to study the 5-year medicine course there
I've gotten a 685 avg on the UKCAT and am currently debating whether I should apply to King's (if I even stand a chance) or St. George's.

I have lots of extra curricular activities, 300+ hours of volunteering at a local hospital, shadowing a doctor, and going to go oversea volunteering in the infamous leprosy island in south korea next year, as well as going to cambodia as a medical relief volunteer.
My marks are around 92% with 97% in biology and maths, with 91% in chemistry.

Which one - King's or SGUL?

p.s. these are the breakdowns of my ukcat score:
VR: 540
QR: 690
AR: 790
DA: 720
(edited 12 years ago)
your ukcat average (685) is pretty good...i'd say you stand a good chance which either - go for whichever course structure appeals to you the most out
of the two :smile:

good luck
Reply 2
Original post by Singh993
your ukcat average (685) is pretty good...i'd say you stand a good chance which either - go for whichever course structure appeals to you the most out
of the two :smile:

good luck

Well, I've heard this one person on TSR say SGUL looks at your individual sections... :s-smilie: I've been trying to ring St. Georges, but it's so hard to get in touch with them
Reply 3
Original post by doctork2
As well as going to cambodia as a medical relief volunteer.

Went over there myself as a medical volunteer earlier this year, had a great time, enjoy it its a beautiful country. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about Cambodia.

As for your question, sorry I have no idea just wanted to post because I saw your Cambodia volunteering :smile:
Well, I've heard this one person on TSR say SGUL looks at your individual sections... :s-smilie: I've been trying to ring St. Georges, but it's so hard to get in touch with them

well im not overly sure of how SGUL select being a GKT man myself...i know that
GKT use your ukcat average combined with number of A*s at GCSE but since you're an international applicant more emphasis may be placed upon your UKCAT average and Personal Statement :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Wallam
Went over there myself as a medical volunteer earlier this year, had a great time, enjoy it its a beautiful country. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about Cambodia.

As for your question, sorry I have no idea just wanted to post because I saw your Cambodia volunteering :smile:

That is fantastic... Cambodia is really a beautiful country. However, it is unfortunate that the social inequality is such a huge issue there. My father and my brother go there every year during the summer :smile: I know I'm gonna have a blast XD

What shocked me even more is the Leprosy Island in south korea... they apparently exiled all the leprosy patients to this isolated island on the coast of south korea... Really sad indeed.
Reply 6
That is fantastic... Cambodia is really a beautiful country. However, it is unfortunate that the social inequality is such a huge issue there. My father and my brother go there every year during the summer :smile: I know I'm gonna have a blast XD

What shocked me even more is the Leprosy Island in south korea... they apparently exiled all the leprosy patients to this isolated island on the coast of south korea... Really sad indeed.

Yeah to get an accurate picture of the situation you really need to move away from the tourist bubbles of Phonm Penh and Siem Reap. I was working in Oddar Meanchey in the North of the country (supposedly the poorest region of Cambodia), and it was very different in Siem Reap. You should definitely visit the temples whilst your out there and the killing fields (if you can handle it).

I'm really not surprised with the Koreans doing that, I flew through Seoul Incheon Airport to get to Cambodia (Korean Airlines are amazing btw) and it was one of the most ridiculously sterilized places I have ever seen. The airport in Korea was 100x more sterilized than the operating theater in the Cambodian hospital where I was based (and I have some pretty interesting stories from some operations I watched.. :biggrin:). Seoul Incheon was a really great airport to fly through though, lots provided for you to do whilst you wait for your flight transfer.
Reply 7
Original post by Wallam
Yeah to get an accurate picture of the situation you really need to move away from the tourist bubbles of Phonm Penh and Siem Reap. I was working in Oddar Meanchey in the North of the country (supposedly the poorest region of Cambodia), and it was very different in Siem Reap. You should definitely visit the temples whilst your out there and the killing fields (if you can handle it).

I'm really not surprised with the Koreans doing that, I flew through Seoul Incheon Airport to get to Cambodia (Korean Airlines are amazing btw) and it was one of the most ridiculously sterilized places I have ever seen. The airport in Korea was 100x more sterilized than the operating theater in the Cambodian hospital where I was based (and I have some pretty interesting stories from some operations I watched.. :biggrin:). Seoul Incheon was a really great airport to fly through though, lots provided for you to do whilst you wait for your flight transfer.

Ahaha I think I can handle the killing fields... but I'll leave it as an optional visit :biggrin:

Yeah I'm born and raised in South Korea, but I came to Canada 7 years ago and now, I'm officially a Canadian citizen.
Reply 8
Anyone knows SGUL's entrance policy for the UKCAT?
I would say SGUL as they look more in depth at your personal statement and what you have done that isn't academic.
Reply 10
I seem to recall george's doesn't look at your personal statement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending