The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
blissy
I'm going to be going to London for the first time on Saturday, but only for a day. What are the best things to see/do in just one day - I don't really know anything!

Goa nd see the mian sites like big ben, london eye and u know the touristy areas.. i'm goin down 2 london too at thew weekend. but not for a day trip.
Reply 2
blissy
I'm going to be going to London for the first time on Saturday, but only for a day. What are the best things to see/do in just one day - I don't really know anything!

Depends what kind of things you like doing!

How about Madame Tussauds, the Eye (which is great if the weather is nice), the Planetarium (right next to Tussauds)?

Even if you just went for a walk around Westminster you'd still see plenty of cool things; houses of parliament, Nelson's column, Picadilly etc.

You could go shopping on Oxford / Regent Street, or go to some art galleries (National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery, Tate Modern...).

Or you could go to some of the famous football grounds if that's your thing...

I'm sure you can find more than enough stuff to do. I've been living in London for nearly a year and still haven't got around to doing everything yet!
Reply 3
I like walking around and looking at things, so that sounds good. What is the tower of London like?

<likes a bit of gore every now and again.
Reply 4
Covent Garden is pretty cool just to watch the street performers, especially this one guy who spins wheels... One Saturday for my art project I decided to just wander around London, it was pretty good, except I ended up in Wapping. But I got off the tube at ST Pauls and walked all the way up to Tottenham Court Road and Warren Station through Covent Garden...

You should go walkies and maybe try and see a musical, I really love them :smile: Cats was the best but it's not on anymore...
Reply 5
me!
Covent Garden is pretty cool just to watch the street performers, especially this one guy who spins wheels... One Saturday for my art project I decided to just wander around London, it was pretty good, except I ended up in Wapping. But I got off the tube at ST Pauls and walked all the way up to Tottenham Court Road and Warren Station through Covent Garden...

You should go walkies and maybe try and see a musical, I really love them :smile: Cats was the best but it's nto on anymore...

Oooh, Covent Garden! Yes, forgot about that place. It's brilliant, really pretty and interesting. Go there!

You can get cheap theatre tickets from a little shop in the middle of Leicester Square, called TKTS, or go to lastminute.com (but only if you're not too fussed about what to see).
Reply 6
Trousers is spot on, you can't fit everything into a day. However, i would recommend...

Tate Modern/Britain - depending on taste

London Eye

Science Museum

Shopping - W1, Covent Garden, Long Acre, Piccadily circus

St Pauls Cathedral - you have to pay, so just go in the entrance, and then you can walk across the millenium bridge!

Parliament Sq., Whitehall to trafalgar sq.

The Theatre - any of them really, or a west end cinema. I particularly like the Garrick theatre and the Odeon on Wardour st.
Reply 7
blissy
I like walking around and looking at things, so that sounds good. What is the tower of London like?

<likes a bit of gore every now and again.

Excellent.
Reply 8
yeh the Science Museum I loved going there...

Just get lost in London it makes it more exciting and more memorable :wink:
Camden Market
Reply 10
What about the Queen's house? I am Alice so I should visit the palace... (too bad I don't have Christopher Robin to take)
Reply 11
blissy
What about the Queen's house? I am Alice so I should visit the palace... (too bad I don't have Christopher Robin to take)

You could do, but it's a bit boring unless you're a monarchist. Just a big house really. The fountain outside of it is quite nice though, and there are some lovely big parks next to it.
Reply 12
Pencil Queen
Camden Market

...is full of a certain type of people and absolute tat. Some people like it though :tongue:
Reply 13
I think I ought to avoid all areas that encourage shopping or extreme frittering-away of student loan. Seeing as I live in Devon usually, Cambridge is SO much closer to travel from (and about £130 cheaper on the train!) I think I should pick a few things that cost money and everything else is going to be cheap cheap!
jammyd
...is full of a certain type of people and absolute tat. Some people like it though :tongue:

You've obviously been going to the wrong places.

Camden Market = one of the few places in the country where anyone is welcome (even f**kwits in novelty hats)
Reply 15
Pencil Queen
You've obviously been going to the wrong places.

Camden Market = one of the few places in the country where anyone is welcome (even f**kwits in novelty hats)

Thats exactly what I mean!!

I like the Chapel Market area actually, thats nice.
Trousers
I've been living in London for nearly a year and still haven't got around to doing everything yet!

I've been living in london for over 18 years and still haven't got around to doing everything yet!! :tongue:
Camden Market is fab and totally unique. GOGOGO!
Reply 18
Thank you! I'll confer with my bf - althought I don't expect he'll get much choice. hehe.

(he was born in London, I've never been. It's only fair that I choose...)
Reply 19
gfs

Latest

Trending

Trending