The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

to all new students at Kingston

what's the uni like?

I've had my heart set on Kingston for years but I've heard some mixed reviews on the place.

to all new students, what are your impressions of the town/uni?

is it good?

Thank you!! xx
Reply 1
Hello, I'm a current student going into the 2nd year (I know you asked for new students, but thought I would have my input too :P ) I am in the sciences part of the uni, and it's great! The lecturers are helpful and so understanding, and the staff are the same. The students are also great too. The town is friendly, and the shops are varied (although not varied enough for my liking). The night life is also great, with London being so close too. What are you planning on studying?
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames
Reply 2
Hey,

I'm just going into my second year as well, it depends what you want out of the uni tbh. I'm doing primary ed at kingston hill and it's a nice enough campus, my course is sometimes a bit unorganised but I think that's just general uni standards from what all my friends at other unis say about their courses.

The town in itself is great, kind of got everything there, and as mentioned nightlife is good as you're literally a train ride into central london.

I love it, and wouldn't change it for the world :smile:
Reply 3
im planning on doing law. thanks for the replies im so looking forward to it!
Original post by takeariskkiss
im planning on doing law. thanks for the replies im so looking forward to it!

I'm about to go into my third year doing Law at Kingston. We have some amazing lecturers and some not so amazing ones (but then again all students are different as well, so you might find someone really helpful, while someone else doesn't). I think it's like that at most unis. Like someone else said the organisation is sometimes a bit here and there but in my experience they listen to feedback, and if you take time to go into the law office to speak to one of the coordinators they're brilliant at helping you solve whatever problem you might have. Our law society was great in my first year, and not so good at all in my second year because the new president really wasn't very good. We have a new president for this year though so it will be interesting to see if he can get things going again.

If you're planning on doing straight LLB Law you'll be on the Kingston Hill campus for all your classes - lectures and tutorials. It's a small campus compared to the main one in town. There are business students, music, nursing and law students on that campus. It's very green, and I know they're working on creating more social areas though there are quite a few already. Half the campus is brand new (one building is so brand new that it's not even in use yet haha) and half is older, the plan is apparently to knock the older bits down, one by one and build new ones. There are halls of residence on site as well, meaning that if you apply early and get a spot you can live 30 seconds away your entire first year which can be nice!

Kingston as a town is nice too. It's the safest borough in London (2 years in a row, statistically), same as the campus really - green to be in London. The only thing we don't have which is a bit annoying is a tube stop obviously. Norbiton is in zone 5 and Kingston in zone 6, so it doesn't quite get that far but you can take the train into central London whenever you're feeling a bit bored of Kingston (no need to though if you want things like the cinema, bowling, restaurants, shopping), you can also take the bus to Richmond or Putney and take the tube from there. You're also right by Richmond Park, which is amazing!

I think most unis will have mixed reviews to be honest. Some people will have had bad experiences at Kingston, some will have had good ones. If you're excited, you know what you want to do and why and you're not afraid to be a bit active yourself, go into the law office if there is a problem or email your tutor or whatever it might be you'll be fine! I've been perfectly happy so far.
Reply 5
thanks for a really helpful reply! After reading that it's getting me all excited again! ahha I can't wait.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending