The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Family help: Is liverpool a good uni? In terms of prestige and resp.

Hi,

So after a conversation with external members of my family and church members i'm start to wonder whether they have my best interests at heart & are trying to warn me or whether they are complete ****ers trying to p*** me off & bring me down.

I basically told them that i was going to attend Liverpool Uni & they all we're kind to my face but at first but then began to make little comments such as: Liverpool isn't really a good uni, couldn't you do better etc etc. This really annoyed me because it was coming from people that went to unis such as Hertfordshire & Middlesex (which i'm not bashing at all).

I know i shouldn't let this get to me but i'm wondering if its that bad & if so whether i should transfer.

Thanks in advance :smile: & please note i am not bashing other unis

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
its a russell group ffs :angry:
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 2
Original post by lovely_me
its a russell group ffs :angry:

That was one of my comebacks & the fact that it is also a red brick uni but apparently its pretty crap! :arrgh:
Reply 3
Original post by my_anon
That was one of my comebacks & the fact that it is also a red brick uni but apparently its pretty crap! :arrgh:

in that case just ignore them because the slack-jawed morons obviously dont know what theyre talking about
Reply 4
Original post by lovely_me
in that case just ignore them because the slack-jawed morons obviously dont know what theyre talking about

Thanks, i just feel hurt because the people that said it are people i looked up to & very respected at my church.
Reply 5
Original post by my_anon

Based on what? If they're making comments like that, then I can only assume they've attended the uni themselves, or spent considerable time there, or choose to be ignorant to the league tables/Russell Groups.

If not, tell them to STFU. It's a brilliant Uni, highly enjoyable, with excellent standards of teaching. That's all that counts.
Reply 6
Original post by Cybele
Based on what? If they're making comments like that, then I can only assume they've attended the uni themselves, or spent considerable time there, or choose to be ignorant to the league tables/Russell Groups.

If not, tell them to STFU. It's a brilliant Uni, highly enjoyable, with excellent standards of teaching. That's all that counts.

Thanks a lot for your comment :smile: - i don't know why i let their comments get to me.
Reply 7
Original post by my_anon

Original post by my_anon
Hi,

So after a conversation with external members of my family and church members i'm start to wonder whether they have my best interests at heart & are trying to warn me or whether they are complete ****ers trying to p*** me off & bring me down.

I basically told them that i was going to attend Liverpool Uni & they all we're kind to my face but at first but then began to make little comments such as: Liverpool isn't really a good uni, couldn't you do better etc etc. This really annoyed me because it was coming from people that went to unis such as Hertfordshire & Middlesex (which i'm not bashing at all).

I know i shouldn't let this get to me but i'm wondering if its that bad & if so whether i should transfer.

Thanks in advance :smile: & please note i am not bashing other unis

There certainly is a school of thought amongst snobs (I include myself here unfortunately, hailing from Oxford and so having grown up in the entirely insular culture of intense upper middle-class self-satisfaction) of dissing Liverpool as a 'lesser' RG university because it's not as strong as Oxbridge and UCL. But frankly that's just a load of rubbish. All RG universities are world-leading in many of their fields (and at Cambridge and Oxford this is especially true) and have some of the strongest standards of teaching, academic rigour and freedom of choice (in terms of modules offered) for students of any universities in the UK.

I'd say stick with Liverpool. The university is very very good and the city has gone through quite an admirable and extraordinary regeneration and urban renewal process, not to mention cultural revival, in the last 10 years.

Try not to worry about what your narrow-minded churchgoing compatriots tell you.
It is all relative. It is not as good as Oxford, but probably better than Plymouth.

/thread.
Original post by my_anon
Thanks, i just feel hurt because the people that said it are people i looked up to & very respected at my church.

look these kids believe in some bearded guy in the sky. they are not likely to be able to judge universities. liverpool is a solid redbrick university, of which there are only six. it's top quality. not as top quality as oxbridge granted, maybe not quite as good as a few london colleges, but just below that level.
Lol, obviously gonna be some bias posting this in a liverpool uni sub forum.
Original post by AldrousHuxley
It is all relative. It is not as good as Oxford, but probably better than Plymouth.

/thread.

probably? it beats the living **** out of plymouth.
Original post by Redreynard
probably? it beats the living **** out of plymouth.

I'm kinda foreign, I don't really know much about Liverpool, but have been told that Plymouth isn't any good.
Reply 13
Original post by TheGrinningSkull
Lol, obviously gonna be some bias posting this in a liverpool uni sub forum.

Not much choice is there, seen as the only people who can possibly comment are those studying there...
Original post by AldrousHuxley
I'm kinda foreign, I don't really know much about Liverpool, but have been told that Plymouth isn't any good.

in the early 90s about 30 universities were created. they are all crap.

in the sixties quite a few universities were created, they are sometimes called plate-glass universities, and they are o.k.

the best universities, for instance the redbrick universities like liverpool, are considerably older dating back to the start of the 20th century.
Original post by Ben1421
Not much choice is there, seen as the only people who can possibly comment are those studying there...

That's a fair point, but you could try to find out what most employers think about some unis, , there's this website that compares unis and stuff, forgot the name though, shame...
Original post by Redreynard
in the early 90s about 30 universities were created. they are all crap.

in the sixties quite a few universities were created, they are sometimes called plate-glass universities, and they are o.k.

the best universities, for instance the redbrick universities like liverpool, are considerably older dating back to the start of the 20th century.

So who else are redbricks?

PS aren't Oxbridge way older than a century?
Reply 17
Quite possibly they've got some snobby chip on their shoulder about the city of liverpool as a place (largely out of date btw
The city's itself has come on massively in the last 25 years)
Put it this way, If I were in your shoes I certainly wouldn't gyp a place at Liverpool to go to one of those other unis you mentioned.
Reply 18
Quite possibly they've got some snobby chip on their shoulder about the city of liverpool as a place (largely out of date btw
The city's itself has come on massively in the last 25 years)
Put it this way, If I were in your shoes I certainly wouldn't gyp a place at Liverpool to go to one of those other unis you mentioned.
Reply 19
I go to Uni of L'pool and will work for EY in 2012.

Come at me bro.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest