how many friends do you have?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I just thought of this really stupid question, and just started concidering actually how many friends i did have.
Its actually quite hard to work out if you think about it.
Trousers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
I just thought of this really stupid question, and just started concidering actually how many friends i did have.
How many people do you usually send a Christmas card to?
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
(Original post by Trousers)
None, i don't really see the point of christmas cards. I'd prefer to say happy christmas to them personally, rather than sending a card.
kita
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeah i know, cos them people who you kinda talk to now and again as in say hi etc....do you class them as friends? cos you dont exactly know them....
other than that i have quite a few people i feel i can trust etc
bazippit
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I usually send many, but in my whole life I could only count one true friend (not including family) that I could trust. The rest have either used me or I acted like an idiot towards them.

Seems I've already alienated many on the forum. Sorry
Trousers
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
None, i don't really see the point of christmas cards. I'd prefer to say happy christmas to them personally, rather than sending a card.
Oh poo.

Ok, if you were having a massive party tomorrow, to celebrate ... er... getting engaged (?), how many people would you invite?
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
(Original post by kita)
yeah i know, cos them people who you kinda talk to now and again as in say hi etc....do you class them as friends? cos you dont exactly know them....
other than that i have quite a few people i feel i can trust etc
Exactly. I never know whether i should include people or not.
And what about people on the net? You don't really know them often, but you chat alot and stuff. Do they count as friends?
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well wen i think about it not many at all! real friends i mean. i probably have 2 real friends!
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Oh poo.

Ok, if you were having a massive party tomorrow, to celebrate ... er... getting engaged (?), how many people would you invite?
Well, how much money do i have to spend on the party, and if its short notice, i don't know where i'd be able to book a place, and if i found one, what sort of capacity would it hold?
kita
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Exactly. I never know whether i should include people or not.
And what about people on the net? You don't really know them often, but you chat alot and stuff. Do they count as friends?
i know lol. As someone just sed bout parties etc,. you usually invite loadsa people you know, but not necessarily know if you know what i mean lol, and that still doesnt account for "interent friends" hmm...
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
(Original post by lumpycustard)
well wen i think about it not many at all! real friends i mean. i probably have 2 real friends!
How many imaginary ones do you have then?
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
(Original post by kita)
i know lol. As someone just sed bout parties etc,. you usually invite loadsa people you know, but not necessarily know if you know what i mean lol, and that still doesnt account for "interent friends" hmm...
Exactly, its really hard to work out. Thats why i wanted to ask the question, to see if anyone else had ways of working it out.
kita
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have 2

lol onli joking
kita
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Exactly, its really hard to work out. Thats why i wanted to ask the question, to see if anyone else had ways of working it out.
Nope im stuck just like you on that sorta thing... :rolleyes:
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
(Original post by bazippit)
I usually send many, but in my whole life I could only count one true friend (not including family) that I could trust. The rest have either used me or I acted like an idiot towards them.

Seems I've already alienated many on the forum. Sorry
Well i act like an idiot to everyone sometimes, but that doesn't make them not my friends, as thats just the sort of person i am.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
(Original post by kita)
I have 2

lol onli joking
What. You've got less or more?
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i meant that i have 2 specific mates that wud be there forever all of the time, whereas i have a lot of friends who wouldnt be there for you.
Trousers
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, how much money do i have to spend on the party, and if its short notice, i don't know where i'd be able to book a place, and if i found one, what sort of capacity would it hold?
Haha.

Ok, this is an imaginary party in a place that expands to accomodate the number of people who turn up. And no-one has any plans so whoever you invite can make it at short notice.

I suppose it all depends on how you define 'friend' and how you define 'acquaintance' really.

I would say that a friend is someone you wouldn't mind going to the pub with (but not necessarily just the two of you).

A close friend is someone you'd phone 'just for a chat'; someone you'd trust to keep your secrets.

An acquaintance is someone you'd say hello to if you saw them in the street.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
(Original post by lumpycustard)
i meant that i have 2 specific mates that wud be there forever all of the time, whereas i have a lot of friends who wouldnt be there for you.
I know. Well, i thought i did. But i had to ask to make sure that you didn't mean imaginary friends.
So its just me with them then...
bazippit
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well i act like an idiot to everyone sometimes, but that doesn't make them not my friends, as thats just the sort of person i am.
Therefore my only true friend understands who I am and what I act like, therefore does not make harsh judgements. I know many people at Uni but not what I would consider true friends, more as work colleaguesm, 'mates', or acquaintances
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (38)
13.62%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (39)
13.98%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (95)
34.05%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (29)
10.39%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (64)
22.94%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (14)
5.02%

Watched Threads