Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just thought of this really stupid question, and just started concidering actually how many friends i did have.
    Its actually quite hard to work out if you think about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    I just thought of this really stupid question, and just started concidering actually how many friends i did have.
    How many people do you usually send a Christmas card to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trousers)
    None, i don't really see the point of christmas cards. I'd prefer to say happy christmas to them personally, rather than sending a card.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i know, cos them people who you kinda talk to now and again as in say hi etc....do you class them as friends? cos you dont exactly know them....
    other than that i have quite a few people i feel i can trust etc

ReputationRep:
    I usually send many, but in my whole life I could only count one true friend (not including family) that I could trust. The rest have either used me or I acted like an idiot towards them.

Seems I've already alienated many on the forum. Sorry

ReputationRep:
    None, i don't really see the point of christmas cards. I'd prefer to say happy christmas to them personally, rather than sending a card.
    Oh poo.

Ok, if you were having a massive party tomorrow, to celebrate ... er... getting engaged (?), how many people would you invite?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kita)
    yeah i know, cos them people who you kinda talk to now and again as in say hi etc....do you class them as friends? cos you dont exactly know them....
    other than that i have quite a few people i feel i can trust etc
    Exactly. I never know whether i should include people or not.
    And what about people on the net? You don't really know them often, but you chat alot and stuff. Do they count as friends?

ReputationRep:
    well wen i think about it not many at all! real friends i mean. i probably have 2 real friends!

ReputationRep:
    Oh poo.

Ok, if you were having a massive party tomorrow, to celebrate ... er... getting engaged (?), how many people would you invite?
    Well, how much money do i have to spend on the party, and if its short notice, i don't know where i'd be able to book a place, and if i found one, what sort of capacity would it hold?

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. I never know whether i should include people or not.
    And what about people on the net? You don't really know them often, but you chat alot and stuff. Do they count as friends?
    i know lol. As someone just sed bout parties etc,. you usually invite loadsa people you know, but not necessarily know if you know what i mean lol, and that still doesnt account for "interent friends" hmm...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lumpycustard)
    well wen i think about it not many at all! real friends i mean. i probably have 2 real friends!
    How many imaginary ones do you have then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kita)
    i know lol. As someone just sed bout parties etc,. you usually invite loadsa people you know, but not necessarily know if you know what i mean lol, and that still doesnt account for "interent friends" hmm...
    Exactly, its really hard to work out. Thats why i wanted to ask the question, to see if anyone else had ways of working it out.

ReputationRep:
    I have 2

lol onli joking

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, its really hard to work out. Thats why i wanted to ask the question, to see if anyone else had ways of working it out.
    Nope im stuck just like you on that sorta thing... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bazippit)
    I usually send many, but in my whole life I could only count one true friend (not including family) that I could trust. The rest have either used me or I acted like an idiot towards them.

Seems I've already alienated many on the forum. Sorry
    Well i act like an idiot to everyone sometimes, but that doesn't make them not my friends, as thats just the sort of person i am.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kita)
    I have 2

lol onli joking
    What. You've got less or more?

ReputationRep:
    i meant that i have 2 specific mates that wud be there forever all of the time, whereas i have a lot of friends who wouldnt be there for you.

ReputationRep:
    Well, how much money do i have to spend on the party, and if its short notice, i don't know where i'd be able to book a place, and if i found one, what sort of capacity would it hold?
    Haha.

Ok, this is an imaginary party in a place that expands to accomodate the number of people who turn up. And no-one has any plans so whoever you invite can make it at short notice.

I suppose it all depends on how you define 'friend' and how you define 'acquaintance' really.

I would say that a friend is someone you wouldn't mind going to the pub with (but not necessarily just the two of you).

A close friend is someone you'd phone 'just for a chat'; someone you'd trust to keep your secrets.

An acquaintance is someone you'd say hello to if you saw them in the street.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lumpycustard)
    i meant that i have 2 specific mates that wud be there forever all of the time, whereas i have a lot of friends who wouldnt be there for you.
    I know. Well, i thought i did. But i had to ask to make sure that you didn't mean imaginary friends.
    So its just me with them then...

ReputationRep:
    Well i act like an idiot to everyone sometimes, but that doesn't make them not my friends, as thats just the sort of person i am.
    Therefore my only true friend understands who I am and what I act like, therefore does not make harsh judgements. I know many people at Uni but not what I would consider true friends, more as work colleaguesm, 'mates', or acquaintances

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.