The Student Room Group

English A Level

Hi. Well i recentley got my GCSE results and got a B grade in english Language and an A grade in Literature. But to be honest im not a big fan of english and dont really enjoy it, but i heard it looks good towards universities and i can't find a 4th subject to choose in college. So im thinking since im preety good in english and though i dont want to do it should i choose it in college and drop it after a year? I know i dont like it but i won't mind doing it and it looks good to Universities.

What do you think? Please help!!!
Original post by TJ_BLACK_STAR

There isn't much point doing it if you don't want to do it. You will probably won't be very dedicated to the subject and you won't find it interesting if you don't enjoy it. If i were you i were concentrate on the 3 you have so far. You could always drop it in the 2nd year though if you decide to do it then you would at least have an AS level in it :smile:
You will be expected to read in your spare time in either of the English subject aswell.
Reply 2
thank you very very much for the opinions, anymore?
Absolutely no point in studying a subject that you have no interest in.
Reply 4
Could someone explain whats on A-level English courses?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by xxm
Could someone explain whats on A-level English courses?

Would that be English Language, English Literature, or English Lit and Lang combined?
Reply 6
Original post by TJ_BLACK_STAR
Hi. Well i recentley got my GCSE results and got a B grade in english Language and an A grade in Literature. But to be honest im not a big fan of english and dont really enjoy it, but i heard it looks good towards universities and i can't find a 4th subject to choose in college. So im thinking since im preety good in english and though i dont want to do it should i choose it in college and drop it after a year? I know i dont like it but i won't mind doing it and it looks good to Universities.

What do you think? Please help!!!

To be honest, I started A-level English with the mindset that I would not like it very much. I personally hated GCSE English, but within a few weeks of doing A-level, I found myself enjoying it very much. To be fair, I have always immensely enjoyed writing (both critical essays and creative pieces) and have always read excessively. Looking back, I think much of the reason I detested the GCSE was largely due to the teacher, who, of course, I didn't have at A-level. (She usually gave us a piece of literature when we went into the classroom, then proceeded to sit on the table, swing her legs, ask us what we thought about it, make no comment whatsoever, then tell us to write an essay which MUST be in for the end of the week - or else detention.) It was probably also partly due to the course itself - it was very structured and you had to read whatever the teacher provided, so I didn't find it particularly exciting.

So if you are someone who really enjoys reading and writing, but didn't like the GCSE, then I think you should try it out. If, however, you don't like those things (particularly reading) then you probably shouldn't bother. A-level English is not an 'easy' subject, and as others have said, there is no point taking it if you do not enjoy it.

:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
If you're good atand you're geniunely interested in the subject and general reading etc, it then do it.

If not, then don't, because if you haven't got any real interest you'll honestly become bored to death at times.
Reply 8
Original post by Beth1234
Would that be English Language, English Literature, or English Lit and Lang combined?

Um , well I hated English lit at school absolutely hated it. But, I love creative writing so I was wondering is that on language? :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by xxm
Um , well I hated English lit at school absolutely hated it. But, I love creative writing so I was wondering is that on language? :smile:

I'm not sure, I'm afraid :redface: I did literature.

If you're interested though, for the coursework in literature (worth 40% of the AS), you are allowed to write a creative ending piece, as in an alternate ending sort of thing :smile: (At least, you can do that on AQA - I have a feeling OCR isn't so kind.)
Reply 10
Original post by Beth1234
I'm not sure, I'm afraid :redface: I did literature.

If you're interested though, for the coursework in literature (worth 40% of the AS), you are allowed to write a creative ending piece, as in an alternate ending sort of thing :smile: (At least, you can do that on AQA - I have a feeling OCR isn't so kind.)

No, matter but I doubt I'll take it I hate it! Although, I thinking of changing to lang. :rolleyes:
Thank you!
Reply 11
Studying a language one is already fluent in is completely pointless beyond a more linguistically analytical level (grammar, verbs, syntax, history and development etc.) and you can get that from learning another closely related language (like German or Dutch for English). Writing essays in GCSE English exams about "how a writer shows such and such" or "what are the authors thoughts and feelings towards such and such" infuriate me: the evidence and answers for these questions is the text itself: essays in English are at best over-analysis and at worst hazarding random guesses at the intentions of an author who doesnt care about what you think and knows the answer anyway. FYI I get A*s in English (yr 11) but I wouldn't take it for A level before the sun falls out of the sky.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending