Glyndwr University, Wrexham
Visit website

Glyndŵr University 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by madders94
Anyone got their accommodation? I'm in John Neal block :smile:

That is right next to the new student bar:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=399658593421511&set=a.399658230088214.98865.388425511211486&type=1&theater
Main entrance
Glyndwr University, Wrexham
Visit website
Anyone got their accommodation? I'm in John Neal block :smile:

I lived in John Neal block last year, here are some photos if you're interested?

room1.jpg
room2.jpg
room3.jpg
Original post by Ally Oh....
I lived in John Neal block last year, here are some photos if you're interested?

room1.jpg
room2.jpg
room3.jpg

Thanks for those! They're great, can't wait to move in :smile: someone said John Neal's in 2 blocks, how do the blocks work?
Thanks for those! They're great, can't wait to move in :smile: someone said John Neal's in 2 blocks, how do the blocks work?

Basically, the block is split in two:

John Neal A has got 2 flats per floor and 5 floors, so flats 1-10 are here.
John Neal B has got 2 flats per floor also, but 6 floors so the rest of the flats are here, flats 11 and 12 are on the ground floor.

I personally prefer the kitchens in Erdigg as they're newer, but the rooms and bathrooms in John Neal are so much nicer. The only problem I found was that the water pressure was pathetic in John Neal block, so have fun having a shower!!

I've left the university after my first year as I didnt like it there and got bored very easily due to a lack of things to do, hopefully you'll enjoy yourself!
Basically, the block is split in two:

John Neal A has got 2 flats per floor and 5 floors, so flats 1-10 are here.
John Neal B has got 2 flats per floor also, but 6 floors so the rest of the flats are here, flats 11 and 12 are on the ground floor.

I personally prefer the kitchens in Erdigg as they're newer, but the rooms and bathrooms in John Neal are so much nicer. The only problem I found was that the water pressure was pathetic in John Neal block, so have fun having a shower!!

I've left the university after my first year as I didnt like it there and got bored very easily due to a lack of things to do, hopefully you'll enjoy yourself!

Oh noo we have terrible water pressure where I live; so I was looking forwards to having nice showers :lol: haha thanks for the advice, looks like I'm on 1st floor of B :smile:

Any town is going to be an improvement facilities-wise on where I live, where the nearest supermarket is half an hour away, so I'm hoping Wrexham will be perfect for me - not constantly buzzing but enough to keep me happy :smile: thanks for all the information! :smile:
I'm excited :awesome:
Reply 66
Hey :smile: I'm in John Neal block, flat 16 so I'm guessing I'm on the 3rd floor of block B :smile: I'm excited too, Wrexham's a nice place :smile:
Hi everyone! Just a quick heads up.. Enrolment has been extended at Glyndwr, so If you know of anyone who wants to come to uni but thinks they've left it too late then let them know :smile:

www.glyndwr.ac.uk/en/AboutGlyndwrUniversity/PressOffice/Pressreleases2012/2012enrolmentextendedatGlyndwrUniversity/
Im leaving Glyndwr at the end of the year for a number of reasons- I feel that Im not receiving good tuition from my lecturers, the university lacks any good facilities, Wrexham is a horrible town and everybody who works/studies at the university has a "cant be bothered" attitude which isnt good at all :frown:

Feel free to PM me for more info...

Why do you think this? I am applying for 2013 entry.
Reply 69
Original post by WeepingAngel94
Why do you think this? I am applying for 2013 entry.

Just to say, as a current Glyndwr student, I can understand where the previous poster is coming from with her complaints about the uni. I'll admit, it's not perfect - nowhere really is - and there are things lacking from the course I'm on that could be improved to make it feel that bit more engaging and useful. But the lecturers and the course delivery vary loads from course to course from what I've heard and seen. Some, more established or even more popular courses seem to be very well delivered, with festivals and guest lectures as part of the course and lectures held in the newer lecture theatres. My course is mostly classrooms in the older uni part with a very small team of lecturers, so it really depends.

Also, just recently there's been a push on societies within the university and in my first year I was able to take part in the book club and even help run a film night society. Others that I know of that will need to be continued on with help from new students was an equestrian society, photography, psychology, pole dancing, wine and beer tasting, gaming and more that I can't remember, not including all the sports activities like zumba and so on. With the weekly student nights, there's also karaoke in the student bar on Mondays, Jam nights on alternate Thursdays plus football showings and other events for things like S.H.A.G week or the Summer Ball/Prom that we had recently. There are things on and depending on whether you live in halls and who you live with, a lot of people organise their own parties/onesie nights/movie nights/tea parties etc.

The uni is still new and it makes for a smaller community on campus so you'll learn peoples' names and find out who the characters are, plus it means the Guild president and vice etc are pretty accessible and approachable. It also means if there is a society you want to create then it's encouraged that you try set it up.

I won't lie - some of the facilities like the PCs in the library have caused me a few ragefits with how slow they are or even finding one that works during peak times and the one ATM machine on campus being out of order a lot is a pain (though I think we're getting more and there is one over the road anyway).

In a nutshell, it's not the best uni or the worst. It's one of the cheapest in tuition fees and I quite like Wrexham as a place to live (compared my tiny hometown, it's got everything!). It depends what you're looking for really!
Ahhh that's okay then! What is the WiFi/Ethernet connections like, just for when using my own laptop? It sounds good with all those clubs and a great community. I am from a tiny village in the middle of nowhere where nothing at all moves, so Wrexham is a good step up from that! XD Would you recommend that I wait until I get to uni to start applying for jobs, or start applying now?
Reply 71
I'm not sure on how the internet in halls is (I know that it's ethernet cable for Student Village and wi-fi for Wrexham Village) because I went for private accommodation in the middle of town for my first year, but in the library and around campus, once you've got the wi-fi setup right then it's usually quite good.

Jobswise, it's up to you really and depends where you'd apply. Some places are gonna want to know your timetable for availability (I applied for Waterstones before I moved but didn't have my timetable yet so lost out there) but if you want work in the local clubs Liquid/Envy or even Tenpin Bowling which are recruiting currently (see their site) then night-time shifts won't be affected by uni! You can look up the chain places like Odeon, Primark, Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys, Starbucks etc. before you come down and apply if they have anything, and then if you don't get anywhere look around town, and sign up for Glyndwr Temps for short term jobs around the uni if they need anyone once you're here! Best of both worlds really. =) Also, if you've got any admin/IT experience, the Wrexham Village halls are looking for a weekend admin assistant, so if you're staying there you can just roll out of bed to your office!
Original post by Rosie1422
I'm not sure on how the internet in halls is (I know that it's ethernet cable for Student Village and wi-fi for Wrexham Village) because I went for private accommodation in the middle of town for my first year, but in the library and around campus, once you've got the wi-fi setup right then it's usually quite good.

Don't know if they've changed it for this year but last year it was ethernet cable in Wrexham Village... and stupid ForeScout Technologies making it difficult to log in... can't wait for WiFi in my new house :laugh:

But they've rolled out Eduroam now over the campus - hopefully Wrexham Village is close enough that it'll be able to pick up Eduroam well, instead of the dribs and drabs we got last year. Think student village had wi-fi through the Plascoch network. But yeah, once the wi-fi is set up, it's fairly fast :h:
Reply 73
Don't know if they've changed it for this year but last year it was ethernet cable in Wrexham Village... and stupid ForeScout Technologies making it difficult to log in... can't wait for WiFi in my new house :laugh:

But they've rolled out Eduroam now over the campus - hopefully Wrexham Village is close enough that it'll be able to pick up Eduroam well, instead of the dribs and drabs we got last year. Think student village had wi-fi through the Plascoch network. But yeah, once the wi-fi is set up, it's fairly fast :h:

Ohh, I knew it was wi-fi for one and I remember people in Student Village complaining about buying ethernet cables so I just assumed. I'm not really versed in halls though, considering I've only ever visited for tea/dinner/hanging out at friends' flats. =D lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending