Turn on thread page Beta

9/11 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bazippit)
    Do you see the war as a mistake, noting recent events
    I think 9/11 was used as an excuse for the war in Iraq - that was my view all along.

I have friends who live in New York and one of them was in the vicinity when the planes struck. I can't imagine how traumatic that must have been. In December, I visited NY and stayed close to Ground Zero, which is a huge site. There was an interesting exhibition at the Police Museum with some incredible photos of the wreckage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by researcher)
    I think 9/11 was used as an excuse for the war in Iraq - that was my view all along.

I have friends who live in New York and one of them was in the vicinity when the planes struck. I can't imagine how traumatic that must have been. In December, I visited NY and stayed close to Ground Zero, which is a huge site. There was an interesting exhibition at the Police Museum with some incredible photos of the wreckage.
    There was also that small shop nearby that collected many photos. I agree with your views of 9/11 as an excuse for war - the WMD issue is over-emphasised

ReputationRep:
    No I don't see the war as a mistake. I think our country was given pathetic "reasons" for the war because Blair would have done it anyway - he was just trying to look good. Back in the early 90s my dad used to do secrety-type prototype building projects and when he heard that his prototype would be for Saddam Hussein he refused to work on it an was fired (leaving our family totally buggered, but I think morals were more important).

Saddam Hussein was a tyrant and he deliberatly planned cities with hospitals next to barracks etc because he was reckless with people's lives and was a sneaky and cunning *******. I think Saddam Hussein should have been deposed ten years ago. I am glad that he's gone now but it's just such a shame that no proper re-building or new government was instigated. It seems as though Iraq is in a total pickle, but I still believe the war had to be fought (preferably ten years ago!)

I think there are severe problems with the UN and also with the EU. We're never going to be able to sort our messy world out with its factions.

I also think our government is not set up in a good way - we seem to be living in an elected dictatorship rather than a democracy.

I have no answers and I think that this is the main problem - we are all just so impotent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    I have no answers and I think that this is the main problem - we are all just so impotent.
    I understand your argument fully. The failure of the allies in the first Gulf War, especially in failing to help the Shi'Ite rising in Basra must account in part to the hostility torwards the second war and the continuing strife in Iraq

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad you understand because sometimes my views are misconstrued and am made to feel like a terrible person, just because I don't conform to the "the war is bad" group.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad you understand because sometimes my views are misconstrued and am made to feel like a terrible person, just because I don't conform to the "the war is bad" group.
    I'm one in both camps, I'm anti-war due to the continuing controversy, but pro when considering Husseins crimes against against humanity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by researcher)
    Sadly, yes.
    bUt is there enough reasons for these contuing wars against those considered to be in the Axis of Evil

ReputationRep:
    No I don't see the war as a mistake. I think our country was given pathetic "reasons" for the war because Blair would have done it anyway - he was just trying to look good. Back in the early 90s my dad used to do secrety-type prototype building projects and when he heard that his prototype would be for Saddam Hussein he refused to work on it an was fired (leaving our family totally buggered, but I think morals were more important).

Saddam Hussein was a tyrant and he deliberatly planned cities with hospitals next to barracks etc because he was reckless with people's lives and was a sneaky and cunning *******. I think Saddam Hussein should have been deposed ten years ago. I am glad that he's gone now but it's just such a shame that no proper re-building or new government was instigated. It seems as though Iraq is in a total pickle, but I still believe the war had to be fought (preferably ten years ago!)

I think there are severe problems with the UN and also with the EU. We're never going to be able to sort our messy world out with its factions.

I also think our government is not set up in a good way - we seem to be living in an elected dictatorship rather than a democracy.

I respect your views, especially referring to your father, but they seem a little contradicting.
    As you say, we can never sort the mess out - and that is why we should not go to war in the first point: from an Iraqi view it is always better to be governed by an Iraqi ******* than by any foreign ******* - and I think they do not exactly love the US administration.
    The argument "Saddam was bad" is certainly true, but why are people in Iraq already protesting about the new "government" and would prefer the old state of being? DOesn´t make sense, does it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bazippit)
    bUt is there enough reasons for these contuing wars against those considered to be in the Axis of Evil
    So what is evil about Iran? And what is more evil about Northern Korea than about any dictator regime in Africa?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben2111)
    I respect your views, especially referring to your father, but they seem a little contradicting.
    As you say, we can never sort the mess out - and that is why we should not go to war in the first point: from an Iraqi view it is always better to be governed by an Iraqi ******* than by any foreign ******* - and I think they do not exactly love the US administration.
    The argument "Saddam was bad" is certainly true, but why are people in Iraq already protesting about the new "government" and would prefer the old state of being? DOesn´t make sense, does it?
    Thats why the hand over of power should be by direct elections - a US influenced governing body would not last

ReputationRep:

They're protesting because their country has been left in such a mess due to the incompetence of the US and UK, who didn't seem to plan for what they would do after the war was over.

I tend to agree with blissy to a certain extent - Hussein should have been deposed ten years ago, when we were at war for a justifiable reason and we had the chance. However I don't think this war was justified. You can't let someone off and then suddenly change your mind ten years later.

ReputationRep:
    So what is evil about Iran? And what is more evil about Northern Korea than about any dictator regime in Africa?
    Depends. Some see the US as the Axis of Evil

ReputationRep:
    makes you want to top yourself doesn't it. or is that just me?

ReputationRep:
    makes you want to top yourself doesn't it. or is that just me?
    Makes me question the value of humanity to the world

ReputationRep:
    makes me question my sanity

ReputationRep:
    makes me question my sanity
    I'm not sure whether I want to be a prat or a clown yet! Lost sanity years ago

ReputationRep:
    I live about an hour away from where the third plane went down, we had already heard about the towers being hit, so when we heard it go over the scannners about the third ( a couple of my freinds are volenteer firemen) we were really freaked out, apparently the plane flew right over our town and we didn't even know it at the time. what is truly amazing is the area where it did crash, a large empty field, if it had crashed sooner or later then it did, it would have been in a populated area, and so many more would have died.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    I live about an hour away from where the third plane went down, we had already heard about the towers being hit, so when we heard it go over the scannners about the third ( a couple of my freinds are volenteer firemen) we were really freaked out, apparently the plane flew right over our town and we didn't even know it at the time. what is truly amazing is the area where it did crash, a large empty field, if it had crashed sooner or later then it did, it would have been in a populated area, and so many more would have died.
    That was the one with that message from the English passenger, immortalised in the memorial stone I believe!

ReputationRep:
    I was in my AP Calculus class, and my teacher got a phone call. The person on the other end of the line told her to turn on the t.v. There it was.

About half of the students in school went home early because they had relatives in NY.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2004
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.