The Student Room Group

Breastfeeding in Public

There may have been threads on this already, but after seeing a couple of things on the tv and internet recently regarding this subject I'm keen to see what other people think.

There is now a law making it illegal to try to stop a woman from breastfeeding in public, protecting their rights to do so. In most other places around the world it is the norm to do this (some communities favouring it being more descreet than others, but it is still normal and not a sexual act), and it is perfectly healthy.
So why do some people in this country feel really offended by it and expect mothers to just not feed their child if they are out? It seems quite prudish to me, and I really don't understand the problem.

Anyway, I just wanted to get an idea of what other people thought. I'm open to general discussion on it, but please don't be insulting or rude to others.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Best typo ever.
Reply 2
Original post by onlyskin
Best typo ever.

thanks.
Reply 3
Best typo ever.

This!!!

I don't mind, the only thing I don't like is when I'm serving someone coffee when I'm waitressing and you put it on the table and are suddenly in a boob-in-face situation.
Reply 4
Original post by Emaemmaemily
It seems quite prude-ish to me, and I really don't understand the problem.

You understood the core of problem in one, from my perspective, Britain's absurd prudish and upright attitude. :holmes:
Don't have a problem with it:

Woman: providing natural goodness to child
Baby: receiving natural goodness
Men: :sexface:

Everyone's a winner.
There may have been threads on this already, but after seeing a couple of things on the tv and internet recently regarding this subject I'm keen to see what other people think.

There is now a law making it illegal to try to stop a woman from breastfeeding in public, protecting their rights to do so. In most other places around the world it is the norm to do this (some communities favouring it being more descreet than others, but it is still normal and not a sexual act), and it is perfectly healthy.
So why do some people in this country feel really offended by it and expect mothers to just not feed their child if they are out? It seems quite prudish to me, and I really don't understand the problem.

Anyway, I just wanted to get an idea of what other people thought. I'm open to general discussion on it, but please don't be insulting or rude to others.

Source please.

But other than that i think its fantastic news. breast feeding is a natural thing to do. As a general rule Women should be allowed to do it whenever its needed.
Reply 7
What was the typo?
No problem with it really. Its not like anything could be seen anyway because the baby's their...
Reply 9
It's utterly pathetic. Long before boobs were tits, they were mammary glands. That is their primary function and a developing child's needs comes before that of a Victorian prude. Most mothers cover up with a blanket to do it discreetly anyway so if you see any breast, YOU WERE CLEARLY LEERING.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
As long as it's kept discreet why shouldn't it be allowed? Fair enough if the mother is walking around smacking customers in the face with them but if she's just feeding her baby then who cares
Original post by Tam_91
What was the typo?

Accidentally wrote "prude-ish" instead of prudish. Am half asleep.

Original post by silverbolt
Source please.

But other than that i think its fantastic news. breast feeding is a natural thing to do. As a general rule Women should be allowed to do it whenever its needed.

http://www.nhs.uk/Planners/breastfeeding/Pages/breastfeeding-in-public.aspx - That's one place that mentions it.
Reply 12
Accidentally wrote "prude-ish" instead of prudish. Am half asleep.

Actually, the typo is in the title, pretty sure it should say public...
Actually, the typo is in the title, pretty sure it should say public...

oh dear. I am definitely half asleep.
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos

Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
Don't have a problem with it:

Woman: providing natural goodness to child
Baby: receiving natural goodness
Men: :sexface:

Everyone's a winner.

:rofl:

You immediately made me think of this :h:

:sexface:
(edited 12 years ago)
I've breastfed all of my children in public, many times. Says it all about my opinion really lol.
For the record I was always discreet and used a blanket to cover any exposed part of my boob (but not putting a blanket over my baby's head, I think that's ridiculous). If there was a quiet corner to sit at that was close by, I went there, but if not, well it didn't deter me. If my child needed feeding, I fed them! Simple really. I've done it in the middle of Boots (sat on the floor), in cafes/restaurants, on benches in the middle of town centre, on trains, on aeroplanes, on buses...you name it I've probably breastfed there.
Reply 16
I think women should be allowed to breastfeed in public, but that's only because I want to see a bit of boob.
Reply 17
My mum used to breast feed me in public, and no-one ever knew. It's perfectly possible to be discreet, I don't get why women have to whip it out, the attention seekers
Reply 18
If you can do it without whapping your baps out, then fair enough.
I have absolutely no problem with it, babies need to be fed. I have more of a problem with prudes that expect mothers to sit in the lavatory in order to feed their children, I certainly wouldn't want to eat my lunch in a public restroom :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending