sofa
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
food tech seems alot of work and quite boring with all the analisying etc. it also looks quite hard! is it????? :confused:

id love your views thanks
kellywood_5
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I did it with AQA and the theory exam (40%) was really easy but it's 60% coursework and that takes ages. It's also very repetitive and, in my opinion, extremely boring, but that's because I don't like practical subjects. I only did it because I had to do a technology subject.
brimstone
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The coursework is the most boring part, but most of the theory is interesting. You get a bit bored of doing similar practicals during your coursework, but it's mainly OK. I'd recommend you take it.
anon53
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The coursework is quite long, but providing you percieve with it, it is interesting. I found the practical element difficult though.
brimstone
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I assume you mean persevere. But please, if you take food, choose a c/w project you find interesting. I made the mistake of choosing the most boring thing possible, and now I have to make flipping currys every lesson. I have it period 4, and come into period 5 stinking of curry.
Lykabelle
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by brimstone1)
I assume you mean persevere. But please, if you take food, choose a c/w project you find interesting. I made the mistake of choosing the most boring thing possible, and now I have to make flipping currys every lesson. I have it period 4, and come into period 5 stinking of curry.
lol that's the thing I hated about food tech, the smell of food in my uniform afterwards. Luckily I always finished school after food tech.

Coursework is a drag but as long as you're determined to do complete it to a high standard, then you'll be fine. My coursework was 60% so I knew it was important and it was still a GCSE even though I hated it. The exam isn't that bad. I remember I had chemistry on the same day and I remember leaving food tech revision till the very last minute which I really do not recommend. The biggest suprise was getting an A* in the end but I definately wouldn't say it was easy.
quintsy
Badges: 17
Report 15 years ago
We had to choose a DT subject, so I went for food in the end, even though I wasn't all that enthusiastic.

Yes, it is a fair bit of work- a lot of coursework, but all of the design subjects are. In fact I'd even say that the food coursework might take less time than possibly product design, graphics or textiles because they all require a lot of drawing.

It depends how much you enjoy the subject and what other options there are on offer.
domie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hey, jst noticed this post, i would so reccomend doin food. id say textiles is probably easier, but cookin is more interesting IMO. make sure u revise loads, but also on the exam paper its good because u cant really go wrong on one of the 8 mark questions. u jst have to design something and then annotate it..so u dont need to revise for it if u no wot i mean! the bits that do need revisin are mainly common sence..like asking u to analyse a food label..so u jst say stuff like 'it contains alot of salt..this could lead to high blood pressure later in life'bla bla'.. so u no..its kinda common sence in a way. as for the coursework, dont leave it all til the last minute!! and do loads of evaluation and put in loads of detail..which u dont need brains for, just include kind of scientific stuff in it where you can e.g. 'the reason my cake didnt rise was because...' dont just say 'my cake didnt raise in the oven'. lol good luck! its pretty good subject, i went on to do it and got an A level in it afterwards
i_need_A*s
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
i think food tech is the easiest one out of the others and you get to do more practicals
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (367)
84.17%
No (69)
15.83%

Watched Threads