The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Question and Answer Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi there. Applying for Biology and Psychology. Had a look at Unistats, and the satisfaction ratings for the library for Biology are pretty low. Does anyone know why this might be?

Thanks a bunch.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by plasmabubble
Hi there. Applying for Biology and Psychology. Had a look at Unistats, and the satisfaction ratings for the library for Biology are pretty low. Does anyone know why this might be?

Thanks a bunch.

I honestly don't know why this would be. Some of the lecturers are a bit meh, but I'd assume that's similar at most universities. I haven't had any problems otherwise, though. Could be something to do with being messed about with labs - the new ones only opened last year and they're lovely, but the old ones weren't as good and there was a bit of chaos with the changeover. It's hard to say though when you haven't studied anywhere else!

I'm a second year biochemistry student, so if you have any questions about biology then feel free to ask!
Original post by EigoSenpai
Hi, I'm going to visit the uni tomorrow and was just curious as to which college/s are good/best for musicians?
Do any colleges have soundproof rooms or studios?
I've an unconditional for Ecology and Conservation, but I need to know if there's a college which will accommodate my instrumental lifestyle =)

I'll be totally honest - the university isn't the greatest place for a musician as there's no music department so there aren't the accommodations in place for music students. As far as I'm aware none of the colleges have music practice rooms. There are some, however, in the great hall complex, which is located closest to County and Bowland colleges - a few minutes walk away. They're a little hard to find, though! I think there is also theoretically a music studio upstairs in the JHR building but I haven't seen it.

I'm in the music society - they have quite a few groups that you could join if you're interested. Since the dissolution of the music department they're the ones who use the practice rooms and rehearsal rooms the most.
Probably the least of my worries, but is there a snooker club/society, or just simply a place to place snooker properly somewhere close?
Original post by BlueWolf16
Probably the least of my worries, but is there a snooker club/society, or just simply a place to place snooker properly somewhere close?

Funny you should ask this because I was told yesterday that there is a snooker room on campus and I spent some of today (unsuccessfully) trying to find it! I just googled for it now and it seems that you're supposed to be a member of County college to get access to the snooker table and it's £5 for a year. If I can actually find where the table is I'll see if they'd allow other college students to use it. EDIT: Reading more I see that there are apparently three tables on campus. Another of them is in Fylde college. I suspect the other is in Cartmel.

There's one or two pool/snooker clubs in town which I've not been to but I guess they're like most pool/snooker clubs.

I also know that snooker is one of the sports played at Roses, which is our annual sports competition against the University of York.

Pool is much more popular than snooker for students though, and most campus bars have one or two tables.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Manitude
Funny you should ask this because I was told yesterday that there is a snooker room on campus and I spent some of today (unsuccessfully) trying to find it! I just googled for it now and it seems that you're supposed to be a member of County college to get access to the snooker table and it's £5 for a year. If I can actually find where the table is I'll see if they'd allow other college students to use it. EDIT: Reading more I see that there are apparently three tables on campus. Another of them is in Fylde college. I suspect the other is in Cartmel.

There's one or two pool/snooker clubs in town which I've not been to but I guess they're like most pool/snooker clubs.

I also know that snooker is one of the sports played at Roses, which is our annual sports competition against the University of York.

Pool is much more popular than snooker for students though, and most campus bars have one or two tables.

Thanks, good to know.
Original post by Manitude

Original post by BlueWolf16
Thanks, good to know.

Yes, and each college has two men's teams and one women's team that play each week.
Reply 4527
Hi guys,

I've got a question about the political scene at Lancaster. Is it like I'm reading in the news at the moment, with a hardcore far-left movement of students crying out for "safe spaces" and hence banning newspapers, songs, putting hands up at meetings etc?

Strange question I know!

Thanks
Original post by Jack98
Hi guys,

I've got a question about the political scene at Lancaster. Is it like I'm reading in the news at the moment, with a hardcore far-left movement of students crying out for "safe spaces" and hence banning newspapers, songs, putting hands up at meetings etc?

Strange question I know!

Thanks

No, it's not - but I don't think any universities are actually like that! In all seriousness I think it's probably just a media creation.
I'm so happy I got an unconditional offer to study here, biological sciences but my question is how much is it usually for you to join societies etc
Original post by Enderbat1999
I'm so happy I got an unconditional offer to study here, biological sciences but my question is how much is it usually for you to join societies etc

It depends on the society and what they do. Some will have no initial costs and charge you per event, some will have a higher membership cost but that's it for the year, and some will be in between. Over the course of the year for the vast majority of societies the cost will be minimal. One thing to keep in mind though is that you don't have to pay any money at fresher's fair, go to a few meetings and see if you like it before paying so you don't waste your money!
Original post by Enderbat1999

Original post by Joe1000000
It depends on the society and what they do. Some will have no initial costs and charge you per event, some will have a higher membership cost but that's it for the year, and some will be in between. Over the course of the year for the vast majority of societies the cost will be minimal. One thing to keep in mind though is that you don't have to pay any money at fresher's fair, go to a few meetings and see if you like it before paying so you don't waste your money!

Very good answer here from Joe!

I would say as well to remember that you need a purple card to join societies (although it's worth getting it even if you don't want to join societies) so remember to budget the cost of that.
Original post by Lenneh
I'm from Birmingham, (Well I live like 300 yards from the Welcome to Birmingham sign so close enough!) and I'm studying Accounting and Finance, *says in brummie accent* It's great

Disclaimer: I don't really have a brummie accent

Hey i know this is an old post, but that may help more with my question. Do you feel that studying at Lancaster has helped you in regards to getting a job and is the level of education actually any good??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending