The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Question and Answer Thread

Scroll to see replies

chedabob
Does anybody know if Grad college has an internet connection in their kitchens?

I doubt it since nowhere else does... they do in the rooms, though, obviously.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 1181
chedabob
Does anybody know if Grad college has an internet connection in their kitchens?

they dont...

you may get tehm in the new town houses though...
I am doing a mathematics major and hopefully if there is space am going to take politics as a minor. I sthere anyway i can take both in the second/third years and get a joint degree. (i know there probably isnt)

If not is there anway that i can change my major from maths to politics, as i really feel that im not going to be good enough for maths at uni as i am struggling so much with c4 and need 82% but am only going to get about 60. (in my alevels)
Reply 1183
ponpon14
I am doing a mathematics major and hopefully if there is space am going to take politics as a minor. I sthere anyway i can take both in the second/third years and get a joint degree. (i know there probably isnt)

If not is there anway that i can change my major from maths to politics, as i really feel that im not going to be good enough for maths at uni as i am struggling so much with c4 and need 82% but am only going to get about 60. (in my alevels)

I have no idea about that, but you could always phone up the uni and speak to someone about it :smile:
Reply 1184
I think, and I stress it is only think as I can't really remember, that you can swap your major and minor around up until Week 3 of the first term. So, if I am correct, you could decide to take Maths as a minor and Politics as a major.
After that you have to wait until the end of Part 1, when there is usually the option to change Majors or go for joint honours in two of your subjects.
I think. It seems a long time ago now...
Lizj
I think, and I stress it is only think as I can't really remember, that you can swap your major and minor around up until Week 3 of the first term. So, if I am correct, you could decide to take Maths as a minor and Politics as a major.
After that you have to wait until the end of Part 1, when there is usually the option to change Majors or go for joint honours in two of your subjects.
I think. It seems a long time ago now...

Okay thankyou, thats a help. I might mail them and ask. But i dont know who i would email!
Reply 1186
ponpon14
Okay thankyou, thats a help. I might mail them and ask. But i dont know who i would email!

Email someone who's in charge of undergrad admissions - their names are at the bottom of this page:
http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk/department/undergraduate

Even if you don't get the right person, I'm sure they'll point you in the right direction!
ponpon14

I don't think you can with maths, but I'm not sure. It's a double block subject, and in the 2nd year there aren't any optional modules that you can do.
If it's any consolation, the course pretty much starts off from scratch (I struggled at 1st...with divisibility...because I was convinced what we were doing couldn't be as simple as it seemed to be haha), so you might pick the content up better 2nd time round :smile:
ponpon14

My friend is swopping from maths to accounting so you might be able to - they are pretty similar though so I don't know whether it affects it.
But i think if i take poliics as my minor, it wont make a difference anyway an i could just swap at the end of the year? I wouldnt have done any less work for it thatn anyone else taking it as a mjor i dont think.

Anyway i will email them after results day ive decided. I want to see how badly ive done in c4.

I have another question though(sorry for all of this!) But do bowland standard rooms havesinks in them?
ponpon14
But i think if i take poliics as my minor, it wont make a difference anyway an i could just swap at the end of the year? I wouldnt have done any less work for it thatn anyone else taking it as a mjor i dont think.

Anyway i will email them after results day ive decided. I want to see how badly ive done in c4.

I have another question though(sorry for all of this!) But do bowland standard rooms havesinks in them?

Yes. All standard rooms do now... the tower didn't, but it's being refurbished... I think they are making it ensuite.
Reply 1191
I know nobody can give me a definitive answer, I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance.

I've got a conditional offer for Theoretical Physics MPhys, of ABB. I am 90% sure I have got 2 As, in Maths and Physics, but in my third A level, biology, I think I may have only got a C. So that would give me AAC. Last year I got a B for AS PE, and I dropped that this year and did AS Further Maths just in year 13, and I'm pretty sure I will have got an A.

So do you think on results day, if I come out with those results, AACab, I will be let onto the course? Or might they offer me another course? Or will I just be rejected?

Thanks
Reply 1192
j09
I know nobody can give me a definitive answer, I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance.

I've got a conditional offer for Theoretical Physics MPhys, of ABB. I am 90% sure I have got 2 As, in Maths and Physics, but in my third A level, biology, I think I may have only got a C. So that would give me AAC. Last year I got a B for AS PE, and I dropped that this year and did AS Further Maths just in year 13, and I'm pretty sure I will have got an A.

So do you think on results day, if I come out with those results, AACab, I will be let onto the course? Or might they offer me another course? Or will I just be rejected?

Thanks

Well, it will depend a lot on things like whether the course is oversubscribed. But Lancaster do let a lot of people in who have missed their offer, so there's always a fairly good chance:smile:

My offer was BBB and I got AAD (D in French, which is what I study) so I wouldn't worry too much.

They might offer you another course, if they think you'll struggle with the one you've applied for & they have one that's similar with spaces.
j09

Thanks

Ditto to Teao's comment, Lancaster appear to be quite lenient on results day. My friend had an offer of AAB for Law, achieved AAC and was let in automatically [as in she didn't need to ring up].

If the course has places, you should be fine.

As there is no way of knowing for sure - as to what grades you've got or whether Lancaster will accept you - try to forget about it and enjoy the summer. :smile:
j09

Thanks

I'm pretty sure they will from the AS levels, as they may just "combine" 2 AS levels to use as an A level instead (That's what I did, after my AS levels I dropped 2 subjects + picked up a different 2 because I couldn't stand another year of them, ended up with AACaabd (the C was gen studies lol i didn't do 5 each year) and my offer was AAB or ABB I think...+ I got in fine with it :smile: )
Reply 1195
xprincessx
I'm pretty sure they will from the AS levels, as they may just "combine" 2 AS levels to use as an A level instead (That's what I did, after my AS levels I dropped 2 subjects + picked up a different 2 because I couldn't stand another year of them, ended up with AACaabd (the C was gen studies lol i didn't do 5 each year) and my offer was AAB or ABB I think...+ I got in fine with it :smile: )

Yeah that's what I thought (hoped) they might do, it says on the course requirements ABB(320 points) We accept 2 AS levels in place of one A2, or something to that effect. But since that wasn't stipulated in my UCAS offer I'm not sure if that still applies.

Thanks for the help anyway :biggrin:
j09
Yeah that's what I thought (hoped) they might do, it says on the course requirements ABB(320 points) We accept 2 AS levels in place of one A2, or something to that effect. But since that wasn't stipulated in my UCAS offer I'm not sure if that still applies.

Thanks for the help anyway :biggrin:

I don't think it said it on mine but I may be wrong. I'm about 90% certain though, so you should be fine :smile:
j09

Thanks

To be honest, the course is hardly oversubscribed, particularly the theoretical (my boyfriend does it) so you should be okay, and Lancaster is well known for preferring to take people who just miss their offers, rather than taking from clearing.
I have a place on the Natural Sciences course and the requirements are like BBC or something? Anyway I got in with an unconditional based on last years results, but erm I'm taking Chemistry this year (I took Chem and Bio so I could get onto a science course). I want to do Chemistry as part of my thing but I think that I might get a C/D or maybe worse overall, even though all but one module grade should be good (As and Bs)? So will they let me take Chem or nottt??

:confused: :ta:
I don't think you need any A levels or anything at all to do chemistry as a minor! The 1st couple of modules are basically just the A level material as well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending