The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Music facilities for non-music Students

hi there, I'm studying Computer Science but I'm also a keen musician looking to start an inevitably successful uni band once I hit Hull :P
I was just wondering whether non-music students are allowed to use the music facilities on campus (rehearsal rooms, recording studios) or if I have to join the music society or pay a fee of some kind to use them?
Reply 1
I would be interested to hear an answer to this too. At my old school I used to be able to use the practice rooms whenever they were free...

What instrument do you play?
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
same for my old school too, I just hope I don't end up in a situation where the only place I can play is in my room :frown:
I play lots of instruments, all of them not very well :P but mainly guitar, piano and drums. What about you?
Reply 3
I mostly play guitar too. I have a selection of random instruments, none of which I can play to any substantial level - but guitar, I'm sufficient at, I guess. I've played in a few bands, but never really got anywhere with any of them. Where are you staying in Hull?
Reply 4
so pretty much on the same level of multi-instrumental inadequacy then :P I have soooo many random instruments and effects pedals, although my favourite is my melodica [flute with piano keys, sounds like an accordian] I'm in Thwaite Hall, room 75A I believe. You?
Reply 5
Awesome! I'm in Thwaite as well, room 00BA. You must come over for a jam some time! Ah yeah! I've seen melodica's, they're so great. I have a chord organ, which is pretty similar, sounds just like an accordion too, the only difference being that it has individual buttons for each chord - so for example, you can play a C chord with just one finger, instead of three, if you get me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
I'm quite sure there is a music room where you have access to instruments. Where, and if it costs to use this facility, I don't know. I've been meaning to visit it myself, but I've heard people to go and jam on the piano for a bit.
Reply 7
Sick, definitely up for a few guitar/melodica/chord organ jam seshs :] that organ thing sounds awesome by the way, think I saw Patrick Wolf use one during his set at Reading fest, had no idea what it was at the time though :P so what kinda music are you into?
Reply 8
Ahh this is sick, I play drums, guitar, and piano.,
Ive played drums for about 13 years. Guitar for 4 and piano for 5...even though I quit because i hated it.
Reply 9
Original post by smokyfrank
Sick, definitely up for a few guitar/melodica/chord organ jam seshs :] that organ thing sounds awesome by the way, think I saw Patrick Wolf use one during his set at Reading fest, had no idea what it was at the time though :P so what kinda music are you into?

Haha, likewise, though I don't think I'll bring my organ with me, it's rather loud and large, too. Patrick Wolf is cool. I never really got that much into his music, but Wind In The Wires is a great album. Most of my music taste is tracked on this site: http://www.last.fm/user/Simon_FM/library - What do you like?

Quick Reply

Latest