What were your funny Duke of Edinburgh stories

Watch
This discussion is closed.
lollington-mccoy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'll start, me and my friends though it would be a good idea to jump over a fence to go straight to the destination, however, when we climbed over, we couldn't climb back, this was not a problem because in the far distance we could see a gate. So on our merry way to the gate, a group of bulls appeared (much like on pokemon when a bloody caterpie appears everytime you walk in the grass ), we literally had to stick to the sides of the fence and walk through stinging nettle bushes (we had shorts on), until we thought we were in the clear, another group of bulls came out from behind the tree but started chasing us. We then had no choice but to run and jump over some low lying barbed wire fences, onto a road where my friend fell in some dog ****.
I am interested to hear your stories
Rascacielos
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My friend started pretending that Michael Jackson's ghost was in our tent... Bad taste by anyone's standards but surprisingly convincing in the middle of a field in Derbyshire.

I also had an incident with 5 bulls like the OP. My friend who claims to be very knowledgable about animals (granted, he knows a lot about birds) saw these creatures in the distance and says "oh, nothing to worry about, they're just Jersey Cows..." (I, having no clue about cows, just went along with it). All was well, until we saw the ring through their noses.... And by God did we run (and yes, I know you're not meant to run... but I wasn't in the mood for a casual strole at that point!).

Oh, and a running joke in my team was my famous self-heating can of baked beans and sausages (seriously though, heavy in your rucksack but a genius idea when 5 people are trying to cook bacon on a trangia)... I got the mickey taken out of me but I reckon they were just jealous!
Computerised
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This is a weird one, I was at an open day at UCL and a student put his hand up and asked if extracurricular activities would help him get in and the professor replied "it's all about your academic grades, we don't care about your Duke of Edinburgh award etc"

Was really harsh.
BenjyK
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Same as the OP, we decided to cut across a field. Got to the gate on the other side and found it blocked by 3 cows who just wouldn't budge.
So we turned around to go back and saw the OTHER gate blocked by cows.

So we were forced to to scoot under a barbed wire fence, and wade through a pond of some sort to get out, back where we started and almost an hour wasted :laugh:
domino0806
Badges: 12
Report 9 years ago
Getting pissed, and falling into ditch full of nettles whilst having a piss.
Being convinced wind blowing into the side of tent wall is actually a wild animal, whilst pissed.
Getting pissed whilst climbing up a cliff, throwing tent components and pots off side of cliff into sea, leaving trail of destruction behind.
Pouring the weird fuel stuff in a ring around someone's tent and setting it on fire, whilst pissed.
Pouring food on said person's tent, only for them to wake up covered in slugs.
Ahh, to be 15 again :colonhash:
lollington-mccoy
Rep:
?
these ****ing bulls are a problem
lollington-mccoy
Rep:
?
anyone else? these stories are hilarious
Simon117
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Computerised)
This is a weird one, I was at an open day at UCL and a student put his hand up and asked if extracurricular activities would help him get in and the professor replied "it's all about your academic grades, we don't care about your Duke of Edinburgh award etc"

Was really harsh.
So UCL accept anyone with three As?

I never did DofE but always heard of it as good for the personal statement. Maybe the professor also sort of meant "academic stuff" is generally more important. I know a lot of people tend to ignore stuff that shows they're interested in their subject beyond turning up the classes, using up that space explaining why their Asda job makes them the perfect PPE student or w/e.

Not the point of the thread, these stories make me regret even more not doing it. Sounds like a good time.
tooosh
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We climbed over a stile into a field with about 20 sheep. They made a pretty regular circle around my mate and wherever he moved, the circle moved. When I moved towards him, they all looked at me and started baa-ing.. I think we know who the king of sheep is now.

Oh also same guy, he needed a number 2 but his dignity wouldn't let him dig a hole and crap so when we got to the campsite, our assessor was talking to us, he couldn't hold it anymore and ran towards the toilet with his bag on and tripped over :lol:
pixxie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Getting electrocuted by fences, every single time -.-
And almost trampled on by this mad horse :L

Dofe is definitely the bestttt thing I have ever done, met the bestest friends I could have ever hoped for :')

Can't wait for gold!!!! ;D
PurpleNinja
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I remember going for three miles in the wrong direction (the compasses we were given had been tampered with :P). We got onto farm land by jumping over barbed wire because with the maps we had and the lie of the land, it looked like the fence crossed over our path. Eventually the farmer found us and came up to us, and was fairly gruff with us, asking us how we had got onto the land. One of the boys in my group, a bit of a country bumpkin himself, gestured widely to where we had come from and just said, "Oh. We came in through the rusty gate. You know, the one with brambles." Needless to say, the farmer nodded, had a laugh with country bumpkin boy and showed us the way out, suddenly very nice.

It was funny at the time.
thunder_chunky
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I did DoE Bronze.
I was in a team with my mate, one obese girl in the year above and four Japanese girls who were foreign exchange and couldn't really speak English.
The obese girl dropped out early with some lame excuse, then we got lost on the second day. My mate and I tried getting the Japanese girls involved but not only could they barely speak English but they were just following us, they weren't involved at all. Every time we tried to talk to them they just looked at us and smiled.
We got back eventually but it only through pure luck. I went to ask a local (this was in Oxfordshire so it was a farmhouse in the middle of a field) and it turned out we weren't that far away from our finishing point. However before hand we were really lost and didn't know where the hell we were. When we got back it was late afternoon/early evening, practically dark and pretty damn cold.

That was about 11 years ago now...
UnderTheBridge1994
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Monday morning, first day of gold dofe. Geared up and ready to go! About an hour in, we discover that the path marked for us doesn't exist. We decide to take a bearing and wing it, only to walk about three kilometres through nettles, before realising we need to backtrack. Spent a good few hours in nettles that day.

The next day, we set fire to a table at our camp site. Needles to say, a bit of an ''oh ****'' moment. We spent a good ten minutes trying to control it before realising water is good for putting fires out.
zigzog7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
jumping over each others tents when all the teachers had gone to the pub, the one guy not making the jump and crushing someone inside the tent.
Mate bragging about how good his boot were all the way to the start then twisting both his ankles on the exped.
treating practice expedition as a race and arriving at the finish more than an hour before the first teacher with the minibus did.
username714290
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We had to cross a bog once and my friend faceplanted right into it.
It was very funny until she couldn't breathe and was struggling, then we helped her.
cz100
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have so many after doing about 8 expeditions including the practices etc. One of the best moments had to be missing the bit where we were meant to turn off the track which we specifically marked on because following the path would lead us to the 'Bog of Donard'. So we ended up at it anyway and from a distance saw another group from our school standing around the bog and they screamed at us for help. We ran over, turned out one of them went first and sank waist deep in bog, completely stuck. The rest of them were too afraid to run over to help her for obvious reasons. In the end a couple of boys from my group threw off their rucksacks and took some almighty leaps to jump straight over the boggy big and dragged her out. Then the remaining boy climbed onto the Mourne wall which was beside us and carried their rucksacks over. Teamwork.
Bella Occhi
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We had to go through a field of cows which had a little extra path at the side with the gate at the end of the path. We start walking towards the path and ALL THE COWS RUN DOWN THE PATH AHEAD OF US. So we're standing there looking at the gate 30 metres away from us with a f*ckload of cows standing in front of it and no way to get through. One guy tried to make his way to the gate but there were a couple of cows looking very aggressive so eventually we had to go and stand really far away, wait for them to slowly come back into the main field and then leg it down the path and through the gate :p:

Another day, the same guy that had tried to push through the cows was climbing over a gate... he was halfway over when we heard a RRRRIIIPPP. His trousers had split at the crotch, we all said he had a 'man-gina' for the rest of the trip :rofl:

Also we were walking through a field that had a couple of really cute little horses. Really cute up until the point when they started following us and trying to bite our elbows. Never have I pushed through a gate so fast in my life.

That was all Silver D of E. I didn't do Gold the next year, but the group that did from my school got stuck on a mountain and had to be rescued by a helicopter, it was in the news :mmm:

Oh also in Silver, someone for another group went for a crap and as he was in the middle of it, a whole load of Scouts came round the corner :teehee:

Oh also also in Silver, some people decided to play strip poker in a tent in the evening, so some of us snuck up outside the tent and burst in, we scared the sh*t out of them

Ah, D of E was awesome...
TheBritishBloke
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
A fair few on my Gold:
-We had a wind up radio, so were having raves next to fields full of sheep.
-One of the person in our group complained every time we were on a gradient (basically the entire time) saying that his knees were going to explode; and every time we did something he claimed that it would in some way cause this huge problem that could end the world.
-One of us fell in a river when trying to cross it, this was the morning after an extremely heavy storm, took 3 of us to pull him out the other side.

I'll remember some more soon I guess, but it was an experience in my life that I'll never forget.
bananarama2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
BULLS! Our group got surrounded by bulls. There were 4 of us and 4 of them. It was one bull for each person. There were two choices we could think of. One was to restle them to the ground, but I think we know who would win. So we spent about 10 mins on the phone to out teacher who said, "just edge around them." There was literally a few feet between us and them! What was she thinking? With our hearts racing, sweat glistening on my brow, we legged it....The single most frightening thing ever to happen to me.

We laughed about it after though....

The most laughable thing; the cooking....
LateNightSkies
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Got chased by cows and had to dive under a barbed wire fence backpack and all. Watching cows chase another group up a hill and watching the group jumping over/through a hedge to escape.

The porridge for brekkie on the first morning and ration packs (don't eat the pate) made everyone sick.

The temp got down to -4 degrees c ...ie 1 degree above the level where they'd have to take us all home.

I got hypothermia and bawled my eyes out uncontrollably in front of all the supervising staff who'd come to drop off more water (we'd run out and had to wait for 30 mins for them to get there whilst we sat in the rain). That was fun.

I heard a rustling in our tent one night and thought a badger had found its way into the tent, but it turns out it was just one of my team members who was getting so squished in one corner she decided to move up behind me into the now vacated space.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.64%
Excited but a bit nervous (123)
45.9%
Not bothered either way (35)
13.06%
I'm really nervous (52)
19.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed