Replace the EU with a United Anglosphere?

Watch
Borderline
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
What do you think of the idea to replace the European Union with a significant union of Anglosphere countries, having free movement within countries such as the UK, USA, Australia, Canada, New Zealand? Surely it makes more sense to unite over social and cultural similarities than geographic ones.

There are so many immigrants coming from Poland, for example, but not many Brits who want to move there. In an Anglosphere that would be different, and we would not have be pressured to agree imposed laws that go against our nation's beliefs (such as giving convicted murderers, paedophiles etc. the right to vote.)
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The only problem with this proposal is that it is a solution and therefore many people would be against it.
mmmpie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I doubt you'd persuade all the other English speaking countries of the world that this is a good idea. A lot of them were glad to be rid of us the first time round.
Kolya
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Borderline)
What do you think of the idea to replace the European Union with a significant union of Anglosphere countries, having free movement within countries such as the UK, USA, Australia, Canada, New Zealand? Surely it makes more sense to unite over social and cultural similarities than geographic ones.

There are so many immigrants coming from Poland, for example, but not many Brits who want to move there. In an Anglosphere that would be different, and we would not have be pressured to agree imposed laws that go against our nation's beliefs (such as giving convicted murderers, paedophiles etc. the right to vote.)
All citizens are allowed to vote in Canada.

Anyway, personally I've found that the UK is socially/culturally closer to some northern European countries than it is to other Anglophone ones.
Planar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
A nice idea, but it's not going to happen. Although, I think that in some cases, those countries are still dominions of the crown.
domino0806
Badges: 11
Report 9 years ago
No, they all have such annoying accents.
Bax-man
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You don't need political centralization along the lines of supranational unions in order to remove barriers of state coercion (tariffs, immigration controls and the like).
Mockery
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Have to admit it makes just as much, if not more sence than the European Union, if the EU makes any sence at all to begin with that is. However finding myself recently ever more tied to certain European countries the thought of the EU is making significantly more sence in my own mind
joancollins
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Borderline)

that is an interesting view. I guess there is already a british+us anglosphere. But the main reasons behind the union aren't just about population movement, you are completely missing the point. The movement of people is a sort of payment to Poland for a series of agreements in terms of international trade, etc. I wouldn't know exactly but its not that simple.
knoxuk
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I like.
Super Cicero
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes, this would be much much much better than the EU. Unfortunately however, the chances of it happening are probably less than 1%.

Perhaps the more realistic and also better option would be for the UK to leave the EU and form a North Atlantic Free Trade agreement with the US and Canada. On top of this, arrange free trade agreements with the European countries so we keep free trade - the 1 benefit of EU membership, but are rid of all the other nonsense.
Snagprophet
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Super Cicero)
Perhaps the more realistic and also better option would be for the UK to leave the EU and form a North Atlantic Free Trade agreement with the US and Canada. On top of this, arrange free trade agreements with the European countries so we keep free trade - the 1 benefit of EU membership, but are rid of all the other nonsense.
This makes more sense. I don't see the point of the EU other than free trade.
Psyk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Planar)
A nice idea, but it's not going to happen. Although, I think that in some cases, those countries are still dominions of the crown.
They're not called dominions anymore, they're realms. And out of the countries mentioned in the OP, only the USA isn't one.

If you exclude the USA, it's basically closer integration with the mainly english speaking countries of the Commonwealth. But there are other mainly English speaking Commonwealth countries like Jamaica so they could be included too.
Aphotic Cosmos
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No.

1. That ship sailed 60-40 years ago when we started moving towards Europe, and it's not making a return call.

2. Of the dominions, South Africa doesn't care any more, Australia and New Zealand look to Asia, and Canada is always looking south of the border and to South America. The colonies just wouldn't be interested. The only one that ever was was Malta, and we blew that, too.

3. We're a lot closer to the Dutch, French, Irish, Scandinavians and Germans than we are to most of the Anglosphere, IMO, just like we were before the Empire. I'd rather we had a union with these fine fellows.
mlstolive
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This a brilliant and practical idea. There is much in common and such differences as do exist are typically the distinctive qualities that one associates with regional flavour rather than any significant linguistic philosophical or extreme cultural distinction. There is much that has been written on the theme. Reflections on a Ravaged Centruy by Robert Conquest suggested that there would be a closer integration between the core Anglosphere countries with the additional potential inclusion of Ireland...These are strangely enough all Island countries...If one takes the North American continent as having the Atlantic on one side and the Pacific on the other sufficient. They all thus tend towards Island strategic thinking...being for the most part trading countries. As the UK ruled the waves and catered for international commerce in the 19th century so the Us has done much teh same in the 20th its now certainly time to see the Anglosphere continue to the benefit of all including the rest of the international community. This can certainly be the 3rd Angloshere century. (There is a book by the same title written by J Bennett a great read together with the Anglosphere on why they are so well positioned to take advantage of the internet technologies in the 21st Century). so yes I certainly am in favour of this...adequacy in representation, governance and free trade would make interaction and an ability to seemlessly work anywhere within the Anglopshere, commute live and know that all particpate in representative government). The challenges are certainly going to be present...and in the 21st century it would be a safer world strategically where the Anglopshere with its landmass, technology, population and tradition of individual liberty and free trade this would be a path that would certainly make for a more prosperous and secure future. Though like most things not definitively so...just the best case around!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (99)
5.09%
Uncertainty around my education (291)
14.97%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (205)
10.55%
Lack of purpose or motivation (272)
13.99%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (85)
4.37%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (111)
5.71%
Loneliness (169)
8.69%
Financial worries (69)
3.55%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (86)
4.42%
Exposure to negative news/social media (92)
4.73%
Lack of real life entertainment (108)
5.56%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (171)
8.8%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (186)
9.57%

Watched Threads