kezza103
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi, so i've just enrolled to take on as level maths this year and im just really curious to know what people think of the course because in 6 weeks time we have a test and if i fail im off the course. should i get a revision guide right now and start straight away in free periods and stuff?

I'm also taking, biology, chemistry and ICT

thanks
MissBrown
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We do the same.
Fail the exam and you leave the course.
Lets make it clear though. Any human setting this exam will look for 6 weeks of clear progression in line with what they expect for a student to pass the course at the end of the year.
It is likely to be top end GCSE and the start of AS. You should (will) not get exam style questions.
Maths is becoming vary popular and its key that teachers and pupils have an honest relationship. These early exams weed out those who have no chance of passing. They do not exclude people who have the potential to pass the course.
A revision guide IMO is pointless for that exam alone. A top end A/A star GCSE book and good algerba skills (including what you have learned in lessons will suffice).
As an A level student (assuming you are of 'average' ability who wants to 'do well') you will spend a fair amount of time anyway on your studies as a given.
kezza103
Rep:
?
I'm kinda nervous for this test, but i got an A at gcse so i should hope so with the effort i will put in with starting the course that i pass. I will be very disappointed with myself if i fail.

Thanks for your reply
SamXi
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Google "Khan Academy" if you don't understand something taught in lesson
Do the mixed exercises in your book to re-enforce it

Thats what I did anyway and it worked pretty well
MissBrown
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by kezza103)
I'm kinda nervous for this test, but i got an A at gcse so i should hope so with the effort i will put in with starting the course that i pass. I will be very disappointed with myself if i fail.

Thanks for your reply
If your algebra is solid you are in a better place than those who arent when it comes to Core 1

This book is great to help with confidence

Collins Maths - Bridging GCSE and A Level: Student Book [Paperback]
Mark Rowland

Here are some 'bridging' vidoes to help ensure you are ok with the basics. C1 will just build on them

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?p=PLA334220A97FE4988

Oxford press also have some 3 ebook pages on bridging
kezza103
Rep:
?
(Original post by MissBrown)
If your algebra is solid you are in a better place than those who arent when it comes to Core 1

Mark Rowland

Here are some 'bridging' vidoes to help ensure you are ok with the basics. C1 will just build on them

ooh, i must check that out to see if it is worth getting for me. I would say that im pretty confident at alegbra, its just its been the summer holidays so i need to get back into work mode! need to refresh my memory BADLY. ahhhh
Fenredo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MissBrown)

Mark Rowland

Off the subject but it's really weird to talk about Mark Rowland's book because he's my A Level maths teacher
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (139)
14.34%
I'm not sure (42)
4.33%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (289)
29.82%
I have already dropped out (25)
2.58%
I'm not a current university student (474)
48.92%

Watched Threads