Jabberwox
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm not planning to go there or anything, and I am not a snob or one for belittling universities, but I've heard London Met is notoriously, unspeakably terrible. For those who have studied there (or those who haven't) why is it so dreadful?

As it goes, I know someone who did go to London Met and seemed to have got along okay there. So what is so awful about it? Or is it just exaggaration?
Computerised
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thread has been
Jabberwox
Rep:
?
(Original post by Computerised)
Thread has been
Woops! Sorry, I haven't been on TSR long!
alwaysme
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They got in trouble for fiddling their student statistics to get more funding, eventually getting caught out and made to pay it back. The university funding problems (Not just from this incident, but rather mismanagement going back a long way) meant they had to cancel 70% of their courses. What makes it absolutely disgusting however is that instead of closing admission to the courses and letting the current students finish their degrees, they just stopped the courses outright, so anyone who was studying on one of those courses got booted out part way through (Can you imagine doing the first 2 years of your degree and suddenly having it cancelled?).

This combined with a poor campus, underfunded courses/facilities, evidently horrible management and it being an ex poly (not inherently bad, but there is a stigma) is what gives London met its bad reputation and rock bottom entry requirements.
username474976
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Average UCAS points on entry: 190
HEDM22
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's just the worst of the worst. It's never had a great reputation and I've had the huge displeasure of meeting a few people who went there. Horrendous people. Just look at it's stats and they will tell you all you need to know!

Right, that's me done for the night. I'm off to bed TSR! Night betches! xx
VintageJasmine
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The London ex-polys in general tend to be looked down upon, partly because they're in proximity to about a dozen far more reputable universities, but also because they tend to rank quite low on most league tables.
Jabberwox
Rep:
?
(Original post by HEDM22)
It's just the worst of the worst. It's never had a great reputation and I've had the huge displeasure of meeting a few people who went there. Horrendous people. Just look at it's stats and they will tell you all you need to know!

Haha, I know one person who went there and she's absolutely fine she might have gone when it wasn't so bad though... or has it always been bad?
edjunkie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by HEDM22)

I've know many people who went to London Met and in its current and previous incarnations, would not describe any of them in the terms you used. People have different personalities regardless of where they study, some are pleasant, some are not.

Stats can be interperated in many ways. If the so called "good" universities did not feel that the metrics used to generate stats reflected positively then they would not take part or lobby to have them changed to more favourable ones. Once you have a league table with one more than one entry someone will come top and someone will be at the bottom.

London Met has had the misfortune to have serious management and administrative issues throughout its history. This has had a negative impact on teaching staff and students. Someone who manages to graduate from the disruption these issues creates is likely to more capable to cope with adversity than someone who got good A'levels, went to "good" university experienced no disruption and pops out into the world of work. Someone with a degree from London Met is likely to have work harder to succeed to overcome the negative and not necessarily founded impression.

If you go to London Met you may have to more creative about securing opportunities afterwards.
MCAR1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
BBC DJ, Solicitor, Filmmaker, Communications Satellite Engineer, Teacher, Computer Animator, Adidas Executive all went to London Met

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF8D7A06D26CB36C2
Stanleysteamer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I went to London Met when it was City of London Polytechnic. (1976/1980). At the time, it had to pass CNAA guidelines in order to be able to award degrees, as did all Polytechnics. Polys were always seen as poormans/poorwomens unis, but in fact they supplied the chance to get a degree to students who had been ill-served by their schools and/or were what was seen at the time as "mature students". I was 21 before I managed to get to CLP. I applied to about 5 unis and got rejected by all. I applied to about 5 Polys and was offered places by all but one. I left with a 2.1 degree and felt the equal of any other student from any other degree provider. I then worked in education for 33 years and my degree only held me back if I tried to apply to an institution that was blinkered by its view of "polywallies". The idea of a Modular degree was great as it gave any student who needed to feel their way into a degree, the chance to do just that. Yet again, this would be students who were badly served by their schools, as I was, and I went to a public school!

I have no idea what London Met is like now. Student satisfaction does not seem to be too good, but back in the late 70s it was fine and I would have recommended the place to anyone who wanted to get onto a degree course with poor A levels. Since then I have managed to get otherwise disadvantaged students into Oxbridge and Russell Group unis. How come? I showed them the study skills and life skills that I had to teach myself. But that was due to my crap school, not my Poly.
tartanhandbag
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
yes this topic has been done to death, and as always, the same stuff comes up: people who never went there sh!tting all over the uni (why? to make them feel better about their own university? i can only speculate). for some reason there's a real mob out to bash the met. if you look up the profiles and other posts of the people who bash it it's quite clear that these comments come from snobs and racists who don't like that the met has a very international student base and gives opportunities to people who aren't necessarily super intelligent. i don't know why people seem to think that unless you're born with it, you don't deserve a chance in life. it is part of the met's mission statement to offer disadvantaged people the opportunity to get educated.

my 2cents is that you should probably listen to people who actually went there to get a subjective perspective

on an objective note: the reason why it does badly in the league tables is mostly for one reason alone; it's very low entry requirements, which makes up a crucial part of the tables. This low entry level is not because it's a crap uni, but is in fact the INTENTION of the university. it does not mean that everyone is an idiot.

I study at the met and am a reasonably intelligent person; i have 17 GCSEs at B or above with 2A*s and 2As, did maths a year early, have always been part of gifted and talented schemes, however, i also dropped out of college because i thought i was better than the education system and didn't like jumping through hoops; i was 18 and had more fun chasing girls, playing in bands and experimenting; when i was 19 i left the UK with £15 in my pocket. ended up travelling for 4 years and spent my youth actually meeting real people and seeing the world instead of playing X-box and stressing myself out trying to do a degree that would please my parents. coming back into the education system as a mature student, finally with a clear view of what i wanted to do, no uni would have me coz i didn't have proper grades. i did a prep year at the met and am now in my 2nd year of a biomedical degree. the met was just the uni for me. i finished my prep year with a 91% average and could have transferred to a "better" uni like Kings, for example, but i chose to stay because the met offers more support. my story isn't everyone's story. there are plenty of people at the met wasting their 3 years, but then again, that's true everywhere you go. you'll find plenty of privileged kids dicking about at oxford and cambridge too. the only thing is that those kids will still score the uni high points in the ratings for the "employment 6 months after graduation" indicator when they start working in their dad's company. go to a fancy uni and you can bomb on the tests, but if you play golf with the right people and you're sorted. the met isn't going to give you those sort of opportunities...
JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It is crawling with illegal immigrants and bogus students.
ODES_PDES
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Too old
CJS55
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just finished an online MSc through London Met to anyone else please do not waste your money. It is disorgnised and made up as it goes along. I feel very upset for the money and effort I put in it really is not good
Joey Tamburello
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CJS55)
Just finished an online MSc through London Met to anyone else please do not waste your money. It is disorgnised and made up as it goes along. I feel very upset for the money and effort I put in it really is not good
Hi CJS55,

We are so sorry to hear this. At London Met, we work hard to put our students first and it saddens us to hear that you didn't enjoy your experience with us.

We are happy to discuss this further if you'd like to tell us more. Please email and we'll be sure to respond.

Best,
Joey

(London Met Social Media Ambassador)
CJS55
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Joey Tamburello)
Hi CJS55,

We are so sorry to hear this. At London Met, we work hard to put our students first and it saddens us to hear that you didn't enjoy your experience with us.

We are happy to discuss this further if you'd like to tell us more. Please email and we'll be sure to respond.

Best,
Joey

(London Met Social Media Ambassador)
The course was a shambles with students making suggestions as to how things should be and the academics agreeing. Administration lacked continuity and replies were hit and miss fining the impression that as a fee paying student one was not important or worthy of attention.
Overall a bad experience that I would not wish others to have to go through.
LM3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well for me, I'm currently a student in London Met and I'm living a bad experience. I was repeating some modules last year in order to finish my studies this year (my third year). I was hoping to get done with all of my modules this year but because of the poor administration management, I wasn't registered to one of the core modules. I kept asking for it to the Hub but no reply. They only answered in February to tell me that it was too late. So now, because of them I can't finish my studies and I have to take ANOTHER year for only this one module which is so stupid. If they didn't delay my query I would have been able to catch up. So this is another year of funding this uni and I'm sure they don't care at all about my studies, they just doing it on purpose to get more money. And as a student, I have no power in society yet, so I can't do anything about it. If you can manage yourself without being influenced by a lazy surroundings then you may like London met. But for some students like me who had difficulties managing their work in general, it's really hard. I felt like teachers encourage you to do the least as possible and even if you fail a module, they would tell you it wasn't serious and you can always catch up later. Maybe you would say that it's my responsibility if I fail my year or not. And you're right, students should be responsible over their actions. I think it is just too easy for a uni to be so laid back about our studies and then tell us that we have to be responsible. If it is to receive that kind of treatment, I don't need to go to uni at all, it's the same as studying on my own at home. Anyway I won't recommend it, especially to people who need to be more organised and all.
californiagal
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LM3)
Well for me, I'm currently a student in London Met and I'm living a bad experience. I was repeating some modules last year in order to finish my studies this year (my third year). I was hoping to get done with all of my modules this year but because of the poor administration management, I wasn't registered to one of the core modules. I kept asking for it to the Hub but no reply. They only answered in February to tell me that it was too late. So now, because of them I can't finish my studies and I have to take ANOTHER year for only this one module which is so stupid. If they didn't delay my query I would have been able to catch up. So this is another year of funding this uni and I'm sure they don't care at all about my studies, they just doing it on purpose to get more money. And as a student, I have no power in society yet, so I can't do anything about it. If you can manage yourself without being influenced by a lazy surroundings then you may like London met. But for some students like me who had difficulties managing their work in general, it's really hard. I felt like teachers encourage you to do the least as possible and even if you fail a module, they would tell you it wasn't serious and you can always catch up later. Maybe you would say that it's my responsibility if I fail my year or not. And you're right, students should be responsible over their actions. I think it is just too easy for a uni to be so laid back about our studies and then tell us that we have to be responsible. If it is to receive that kind of treatment, I don't need to go to uni at all, it's the same as studying on my own at home. Anyway I won't recommend it, especially to people who need to be more organised and all.
how did it go? they just failed me by 3 marks even though i submitted new work in reassessment period...bloody 3 marks the tutors are **** and especially have an issue with me
Kjeinzufnifkznf
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
London met is a good uni , very laid back and takes good care of it students ! I am a science student currently studying chemistry and we have great facilities and experienced lecturers . Stop giving it a bad name .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
14.93%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (68)
30.77%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (26)
11.76%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (19)
8.6%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.43%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
27.15%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.36%

Watched Threads