qt_hunnib
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey,
I just wanted to ask for advice for the different types of style models for 'Writing to Persuade' and 'Writing to Entertain'. You see, I've not really got the grasp of style models just yet and I needed a little help. I'd appreciate it if you could give me any other advice on the AS English Language Course.

PS, Is there anywhere that I could get a sample coursework just to get an idea of what to include, how long it should be etc.

Thanks soooo much xxxx
JakeE10
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by qt_hunnib)
Hey,
I just wanted to ask for advice for the different types of style models for 'Writing to Persuade' and 'Writing to Entertain'. You see, I've not really got the grasp of style models just yet and I needed a little help. I'd appreciate it if you could give me any other advice on the AS English Language Course.

PS, Is there anywhere that I could get a sample coursework just to get an idea of what to include, how long it should be etc.

Thanks soooo much xxxx
I've just finished AS English Language. When we did the coursework, we did 2 written pieces. My first was writing to argue so all I did was go onto the internet and found an article which was written to argue against something (In my case it was arguing again abortion) and then from there all you have to do is read through it, see what features are used/what's typical for argumentative pieces and then you can try and include them in your coursework. (same applies to whichever purpose) As for length, we were told anywhere between 1000-1250 words, however there was a bit of leeway either side so if we went over by 50 then it wasn't a problem. When you've finished the written piece you'll have to write a commentary on both pieces, this isn't hard at all, it's just simply to comment on some of the language features/techniques that you've used in your written piece. (500 words at most) Hope I've helped, ask any other questions if needed (whether it be about coursework or exam). I got an A in the coursework if you're wondering.
qt_hunnib
Rep:
?
thanks a lot for helping me out with the main guidelines...although, i want to just ask you that do you think a political speech would be a good idea for my 'writing to persuade' piece? im just so confused at the moment because i really dont know what kind of style models or topic to choose for both the persuade and entertain pieces. also, what did you write for your 'entertain' piece. i've considered some sort of teenage magazine but im not so sure. it's because ive been told that both courseworks have to be completely different, in style and the target audience.

btw, i forgot to mention...well done!! hopefully i'll get a similar grade lol. what did you get for your english language and literature GCSE?
JakeE10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
thanks a lot for helping me out with the main guidelines...although, i want to just ask you that do you think a political speech would be a good idea for my 'writing to persuade' piece? im just so confused at the moment because i really dont know what kind of style models or topic to choose for both the persuade and entertain pieces. also, what did you write for your 'entertain' piece. i've considered some sort of teenage magazine but im not so sure. it's because ive been told that both courseworks have to be completely different, in style and the target audience.

btw, i forgot to mention...well done!! hopefully i'll get a similar grade lol. what did you get for your english language and literature GCSE?
Yeah, it can be literally anything! My first piece was writing to argue/entertain and I did it about X-factor... (don't ask why) lol. My 2nd piece was writing to inform and it was a Travel guide about Switzerland! Completely random! lol. Yes I think a political speech would be good as a style model for you! a few people in my class chose to do speeches when they were writing to persuade etc. As for a topic for you, try and do something that you're passionate about, then you will be able to write lots about it! Remember, it can be completely anything. Teenage magazines would be a good idea in that case because you're a teenage yourself so you'd be an expert at it! Yes, they do have to be somewhat different, it just shows the examiner a bit of variation If you have any more questions feel free to ask them! and thanks! ...... I'm sure you will do well! I was predicted an A but messed up the exam a bit, which I'm now resitting next summer! :mad:

and I got an A in English Language and a B in English Lit at GCSE (Hate lit) lol.

qt_hunnib
Rep:
?
haha! i think the majority of my class hated their English Literature lessons. i'll get definitely be asking you more questions once I get started on my courseworks (which will probably be in a week or two). the main problem with me is that im quite flexible in terms of the types of topics to choose from but i get spoilt for choice and it takes me AGES to think up of something lol

do you think i should watch political speeches and try to make my own up or should i get the transcript of the speech? oh, and would i need to show the transcript as a sort of evidence for a style model?
JakeE10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
haha! i think the majority of my class hated their English Literature lessons. i'll get definitely be asking you more questions once I get started on my courseworks (which will probably be in a week or two). the main problem with me is that im quite flexible in terms of the types of topics to choose from but i get spoilt for choice and it takes me AGES to think up of something lol

do you think i should watch political speeches and try to make my own up or should i get the transcript of the speech? oh, and would i need to show the transcript as a sort of evidence for a style model?
That's ok, ask anything you need to know!

You will need the transcript because you need to read it and highlight all of the techniques used as you will need to include them in your coursework! and yes you need to show it! Good luck.
qt_hunnib
Rep:
?
oh ok.....could you give me an idea of some sort of speech that i could use? ive been searching around for quite a while but ive not found something that i find interesting
Munzg123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Really need help with style models ! Do the 2 style models have tto be different in there genre purpose and audience or the same im confused!
ebily123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
dunno I don't think that anyone knows
Jack324141234312
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
memes ecks dee
Jack324141234312
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
spicy
Jack324141234312
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I loov daaaaaaank memes
Joshingg heart
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by JakeE10)
I've just finished AS English Language. When we did the coursework, we did 2 written pieces. My first was writing to argue so all I did was go onto the internet and found an article which was written to argue against something (In my case it was arguing again abortion) and then from there all you have to do is read through it, see what features are used/what's typical for argumentative pieces and then you can try and include them in your coursework. (same applies to whichever purpose) As for length, we were told anywhere between 1000-1250 words, however there was a bit of leeway either side so if we went over by 50 then it wasn't a problem. When you've finished the written piece you'll have to write a commentary on both pieces, this isn't hard at all, it's just simply to comment on some of the language features/techniques that you've used in your written piece. (500 words at most) Hope I've helped, ask any other questions if needed (whether it be about coursework or exam). I got an A in the coursework if you're wondering.
hello....i have my A2 english exam on jan 18th can u help me with what all actually i should know and how to write the text i mean phrasing everything at its place accordingly?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.89%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
27.03%
Not great so far... (282)
35.79%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.29%

Watched Threads