The Student Room Group

What do people really see?your mirror reflection or photos?

What do you guys think?
Most people i know think they look different in both and they prefer the way they look in a mirror.
How do people actually see you? mirror or photos?

After researching this is what i think.

i think a photo or video with someone you know is the most accurate of how someone really looks like in reality and through a human eye.
This is because when you look at yourself from a mirror the image you see is flipped and is shown backwards.By this i mean words on shirt ,your face,hair is backwards and a mirror reflection is not what people see,they see a non flipped version of you and this is what photos/videos show aswell.
If you really want to see how others see you from a mirror get two mirrors and put them together in a 90 degree angle and you will see a non flipped version of you which is what photos and video shows
In conclusion i think people are too familiar with their flipped image from a mirror they see everyday and it shocks them to see a non flipped image of you.
i done the mirror thing to see what i look like and i was shocked of how different i looked from it from a normal mirror.

what do you guys think?

Scroll to see replies

I think you've got it backwards.

I couldn't help it. :tongue:
Reply 2
My interpretation of my self, be it from a mirror or photo, will always be different to someone else interpretation of me, be it the same mirror or same photo.
I don't think they see a mirror reflection, because no one's clever T-shirt slogans would be readable then. :holmes:
Reply 4
Reminds me of those mirrors in Eureka! :tongue:

One was what 'you' saw. The other was what 'others' saw. Shame how you looked fitter in the 'you' mirror LOL
A mirror reflection is quite personal because it is you looking at yourself, generally alone, so most people will think more kindly of themselves through a mirror. A photograph is like you stuck in the past you look at that more objectively and more defensive because everyone will see you like that. Either way, the way people see you is always clouded by how they feel about you.
Reply 6
Original post by JesusRevived
What do you guys think?
Most people i know think they look different in both and they prefer the way they look in a mirror.

i think a photo or video with someone you know is the most accurate of how someone really looks like in reality and through a human eye.
This is because when you look at yourself from a mirror the image you see is flipped and is shown backwards.By this i mean words on shirt ,your face,hair is backwards and a mirror reflection is not what people see,they see a non flipped version of you and this is what photos/videos show aswell.
If you really want to see how others see you from a mirror get two mirrors and put them together in a 90 degree angle and you will see a non flipped version of you which is what photos and video shows
In conclusion i think people are too familiar with their flipped image from a mirror they see everyday and it shocks them to see a non flipped image of you.
i done the mirror thing to see what i look like and i was shocked of how different i looked from it from a normal mirror.

what do you guys think?

Well people are so used to your "normal image" so when they see your "flipped image" in the mirror it shocks them because they see it as "flipped". So I think your logic is somewhat flawed, as whats flipped to you is normal to them and vice versa so it makes no difference whatsoever.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
I think its just because when you look in the mirror you see yourself straight on so you look more symmetrical to yourself, and facial symmetry is the definition of scientific beauty (i think), so you see yourself at your best.
Reply 8
i think that the video is more truly but anyway your theory is rather interesting:smile:
The majority of the time i look better in the mirror but then there's times when i feel i look better in a straight on photo
A video is probably the most accurate.
Like you said a mirror is your personal interpretation and photo's are just snapshots taken in a second when you could be looking butt ugly/really good. A video shoots your from all angles and isn't (generally) as posed as say a picture.
Reply 11
...Did this really require that much thought? :teehee:

I know that I prefer my mirror image, simply because it's what I'm used to seeing every day. Probably the same reason I think my hair looks stupid in photographs - because my side- fringe is pointing in a different direction!

Personally I find photos to be a terrible representation of people. It's all too easy to make an attractive person look bad or an ugly person look amazing. Videos are much better. :yep:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
i don't have a reflection O_o
I look alright in the mirror and in videos but troll-like in photos. LOL.
:lolwut:
Reply 14
what about looking into a mirror with another mirror? is that super accurate
Reply 15
Original post by 786girl
what about looking into a mirror with another mirror? is that super accurate

with someone you know so you can see weather they look the same as you see them from the human eye.
But i think a video is better in day light
Reply 16
If I really look exactly like I do in photos, I'm just going to go crawl under a rock and live there. :sigh:
Reply 17
Original post by Kisamekick
I look alright in the mirror and in videos but troll-like in photos. LOL.
:lolwut:

i prefer myself in the mirror than a photo

i dont give a toss how others see me
Reply 19

What do you guys think?

what do you guys think?

thats a really good point. i was wondering the other day how come i look better in the mirror than photos.

if plastic surgeons ever work out how to flip a face, im down.

Latest