Biomedical Sciences Placement year

Watch this thread
NinaXD19
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I will doing my placement year next year (sept 2012)!
Hoping to get some advice on how you all managed to get them, was your CV top notch? Did you ace the interview etc.
Any advice would be useful.
And also where did you do your placement at?
My course isn't accredited so probably no NHS placement?
Thanks
AKILAH
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 years ago
hey im applying for placements in biomedical science, too and my course at salford univeristy is credited. we just had to make a cv and our placements coordinator emails us the placements available and arranges interviews for us. i think for your course u can probably do a placement year but will also have to study for more modules.
(",)
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by NinaXD19)
I will doing my placement year next year (sept 2012)!
Hoping to get some advice on how you all managed to get them, was your CV top notch? Did you ace the interview etc.
Any advice would be useful.
And also where did you do your placement at?
My course isn't accredited so probably no NHS placement?
Thanks
I was supposed to go on placement between my second and final year, but I didn't get one. I would suggest you talk to people in your uni who have been on placement. We got a list from our uni of companies/hospitals which offered placements and applied there. I didnt apply to many of them as there was one which I really had my heart set on...which I didnt get!

you can also apply to the big companies GSK and Pfizer, though I would have thought their work placement schemes have closed already. Maybe Cancer Research UK

Or you could do an Erasmus if your uni offers it. I think you should contact your Careers centre for more help as they'll be more knowledgeable about placements etc.
AKILAH
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by (",))
I was supposed to go on placement between my second and final year, but I didn't get one. I would suggest you talk to people in your uni who have been on placement. We got a list from our uni of companies/hospitals which offered placements and applied there. I didnt apply to many of them as there was one which I really had my heart set on...which I didnt get!

you can also apply to the big companies GSK and Pfizer, though I would have thought their work placement schemes have closed already. Maybe Cancer Research UK

Or you could do an Erasmus if your uni offers it. I think you should contact your Careers centre for more help as they'll be more knowledgeable about placements etc.
what are you going to do now that you didngt get a placement? cuz im apllying for placement year but really cant be bothered doing extra year at uni is there really any point? i do want to work in labz
(",)
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by AKILAH)
what are you going to do now that you didngt get a placement? cuz im apllying for placement year but really cant be bothered doing extra year at uni is there really any point? i do want to work in labz
I went straight into my final year and graduated etc. And I found a trainee position at my local pathology laboratory and now in the process of completing the registration portfolio.

If you can get a trainee position/ or a placement that lets you complete the portfolio during your placement year then that would be good because then after you graduate you can register with the HPC and get a job as a BMS straight away. (NB. You have to have an accredited degree to do the portfolio, so if your degree isn't accredited then it's best to do the portfolio after your degree)

This is assuming you want to work as a Biomedical Scientist. If you don't but you still want to work in a lab i.e research, it would be great to do a placement, just so you get experience, that what employers look for after you graduate. Also you may be able to go back to the placement employer and get a job there after you graduate.

I do regret not pulling my socks up to get a placement, but it's all somehow starting to work out. But I was lucky to get a trainee position these are as hard to come by as actual jobs. So its definitely worth doing a placement, at least you get that experience. Saying that it's not the end of the world if you don't get one, you could try and look for summer internships, I know Cancer Research offer work experience- I think. They also offer graduate scheme.
parallel69
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
hey im applying for placements in biomedical science, too and my course at salford univeristy is credited. we just had to make a cv and our placements coordinator emails us the placements available and arranges interviews for us. i think for your course u can probably do a placement year but will also have to study for more modules.
Hi Akilah, what year are you in? I go Salford Uni, studying Biomedical Science. Applying for placements this year and i will appreciate any assistance/advice I can get. thanks
BLineDisaster
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I did the clinical placement, it was very worth it as I was paid 70% of the top of a band 5 wage for a full calendar year.

Main reason: I'm more employable than usual 3 year graduates, as I have a year experience and the IBMS certificate of competence so I can register with the HCPC as soon as I graduate. Also the employer can now employ a competent, fully qualified BMS and save money over employing a trainee with many limitations.

If you want to work in nhs labs I strongly advise doing a placement, if you don't get one its no big deal - try and find yourself some lab worth over the summer, or even better, some work experience in a hospital lab, call your local hospital pathology department, tell them you are doing a BMS degree and they should be more than happy to help you arrange something.

A bonus of my placement is that I am doing my final year project at the hospital, if it is successful the new method will be implemented in the biochem department, that will look fantastic on my cv!!!

Certainly get your foot in the door before the health care sciences degrees are in full swing.
luanara
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Hi there

Im on my second year studying biomedical science. at the moment im struggling to write my cv and cover letter. just wondering if anyone could help me or give me any tips.
also about placement, dont know what to do!!!! i really want to do a placement year, but im scared that they might not be accept me. or might not get a place. what should i do. i go to salford university.
BeckyCurtis
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Hi i was just wondering how you went about applying for a role like his ?
Hanifa.s
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by (",))
I went straight into my final year and graduated etc. And I found a trainee position at my local pathology laboratory and now in the process of completing the registration portfolio.

If you can get a trainee position/ or a placement that lets you complete the portfolio during your placement year then that would be good because then after you graduate you can register with the HPC and get a job as a BMS straight away. (NB. You have to have an accredited degree to do the portfolio, so if your degree isn't accredited then it's best to do the portfolio after your degree)

This is assuming you want to work as a Biomedical Scientist. If you don't but you still want to work in a lab i.e research, it would be great to do a placement, just so you get experience, that what employers look for after you graduate. Also you may be able to go back to the placement employer and get a job there after you graduate.

I do regret not pulling my socks up to get a placement, but it's all somehow starting to work out. But I was lucky to get a trainee position these are as hard to come by as actual jobs. So its definitely worth doing a placement, at least you get that experience. Saying that it's not the end of the world if you don't get one, you could try and look for summer internships, I know Cancer Research offer work experience- I think. They also offer graduate scheme.
i just wanted to ask if you could go into more detail about how you managed to find a placement, and what was it like. When you are completing your portfolio, are you paid during that time or is it sort of voluntary??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (80)
18.96%
The paper was reasonable (159)
37.68%
Not feeling great about that exam... (117)
27.73%
It was TERRIBLE (66)
15.64%

Watched Threads