YorkieLad101
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I got a D in my first GCSE Maths exam and re-sat it at college and got an E and resat it again and got a D again.

What i want to know is is a D at maths bad? like im i innumerate or near-innumerate or somat along them lines?
oli_G
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, it's not great.

It's good you've tried again to pass it but maybe maths just isn't your thing? The problem is most unis and employers like to see a pass in Maths, Science and English IIRC.
YorkieLad101
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by oli_G)
Well, it's not great.

It's good you've tried again to pass it but maybe maths just isn't your thing? The problem is most unis and employers like to see a pass in Maths, Science and English IIRC.
Yeah, ive always hated it TBH, ill just stick with the D, seems a C is just not possible to get
oli_G
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by YorkieLad101)
Yeah, ive always hated it TBH, ill just stick with the D, seems a C is just not possible to get
Well if you really just can't grasp the maths then that's fair enough - concentrate on doing well in college.

Although, as I said, if you could get it up to a C that would probably be better. If not, it isn't the end of the world
D4rth
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Did you take it early?

A C would be good but I say only re-sit it (again) if youve really worked for it, do lots of past papers.

Whos your exam board?
Lord Jon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Most employers and Further Education courses require a Pass at grade C.

You got a D then got an E then got a D? :lolwut:

I have to say it is a good thing that you tried to pass though
alexs2602
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How hard did you work for it? If you worked hard then no, don't resit. If you didn't, work harder and resit.
kidoo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by YorkieLad101)
I got a D in my first GCSE Maths exam and re-sat it at college and got an E and resat it again and got a D again.

What i want to know is is a D at maths bad? like im i innumerate or near-innumerate or somat along them lines?
Seriously I'm not trying to sound harsh but that really is horrible, especially if you've sat it 3 times.

I understand that for some people Maths is a real struggle and it just dosent tick however you should be able to achieve at-least a C grade, C grade work is mainly simple arithmetic which I'm suprised you don't struggle with daily life without.
tory88
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's a fail grade, so yes it is bad. Most employers want to see a pass at GCSE maths, the same for most universities. My advice is to hire a tutor (not necessarily professional, just anyone good at maths that did maths A-level - I tutored like this for a while) and retake it again.
username387126
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No that puts you in like the top 99% of the country

Edit: /sarcasm
Schemilix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
/pulls a face. I want to be nice and say it's fine, but at GCSE... no, it's not. Doesn't make you stupid or anything, just means you borked up the exam, but it's... not good. Sorry mate. Can you retake? I was ****e at maths and revised like the dickens, there was a website I used that was ace for it, and I got an A. This was after getting Cs in everything. Put the work in, I mean really put the work in, at GCSE that's all you need. Good luck!
H.C. Chinaski
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tory88)
It's a fail grade, so yes it is bad. Most employers want to see a pass at GCSE maths, the same for most universities. My advice is to hire a tutor (not necessarily professional, just anyone good at maths that did maths A-level - I tutored like this for a while) and retake it again.
it is not a fail grade, a u is a fail grade.
it is not a good grade.
Tahooper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A grade D in GCSE Maths is bad, but unless you want a career that involves a lot of maths I wouldn't let that result put you down in anyway, you might be more suited to Literature/History-type subjects
This Honest
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well you didn't pass it so that would be a barrier to future job prospects etc

I think you need to review your revision methods, do you do loads of past papers, do you prepare in time, do you actually understand what you learnt in maths?

Also, you went from a D to an E, did you change anything when revising

It's good that you're trying but I'll say give it 1 more try.
DeadGirlsDance
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Was this on higher or foundation? It isn't a good grade, but if you put in as much effort as you could then it's not worth re-sitting it. Most 6th forms make you re-sit it if you did not get a C atleast and you would get extra lessons with less people in and more help available
IB_19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
To be truthful, it's not good. If you're considering university, they require Maths grades at least at a C/B.
Swanbow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Keep trying, despite finding it hard you really do need that C grade to insure you better chances of getting on various courses. Out of interest did you take higher or foundation?
S4K1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
that is ****ing ****e pal, where did you go to school.. hogwarts ?
kazzar
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I struggle with maths, it's not something I naturally excel in, but when I was sitting my maths gcse I knew how important it was for me to pass so I revised like hell and came out with an A! Anyone can pass maths if they worked hard for it, and I mean truly worked hard for it
kazzar
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by H.C. Chinaski)
it is not a fail grade, a u is a fail grade.
it is not a good grade.
I think you're getting mixed up with A Levels
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (88)
57.14%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (18)
11.69%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (20)
12.99%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (11)
7.14%
I haven't started researching yet (8)
5.19%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
5.84%

Watched Threads