Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im going to an open day tomorrow at UMIST as i have been offered a place on the Management and Information Technology course. Does anyone have any tips for what i should look at or avoid, i'm hoping to have a good look around before the official talks actually start.

Also is anyone else going tomorrow?

any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    After the open day take a 42/142/43/47/43/143/44/45A/157 and loads more into Manchester city centre and have a look round.

Also remember UMIST won't exist from September as it will be known as the all new "University of Manchester".

ReputationRep:
    I'll be 5 mins away from UMIST, if you get lost, you may just bump into me But yeah, as amazingtrade said, go up Oxford Road on one of those buses, have a look at the different student unions, then go into Manchester, since this is where you'll be spending most of your time.

ReputationRep:
    do you go to umist or manchester uni

ReputationRep:
    do the two uni's currently do much together, e.g clubs, socieites? once they have joined do you think this will change, because looking at UMIST website im a bit worried about it being a bit boring?
    Are the facilites shared, near eachother?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma123)
    do you go to umist or manchester uni
    Amazingtrade goes to Salford Uni, and I goto Xaverian Sixth Form college, which is on the same road as UMIST, Manchester, Man Met, MBS, and the Royal Northern.

ReputationRep:
    do the two uni's currently do much together, e.g clubs, socieites? once they have joined do you think this will change, because looking at UMIST website im a bit worried about it being a bit boring?
    They are both in an area of the city 100% dominated by the universities and their students. (See above, there are 4 unis on that road, the business school, and the 6th form college). If you're looking for student life, I can't imagine a more dense student life setup anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester is where most the facilities are. UMIST is just a 5 minutes must ride away. You will have access to the swimming pool they used in the common wealth games, all the libraries, museums etc.

Manchester is second to only London in terms of facilities. We have everything including Selfridges and Harvey Nichols

There are loads of societies too, trust me if you're a student in Manchester you cannot get bored. I live at home and don't really get bored.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    They are both in an area of the city 100% dominated by the universities and their students. (See above, there are 4 unis on that road, the business school, and the 6th form college). If you're looking for student life, I can't imagine a more dense student life setup anywhere.
    thats good i was just a bit worried about UMIST not being 2 exciting but if its that near all of those i shouldnt have any problems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Manchester is where most the facilities are. UMIST is just a 5 minutes must ride away. You will have access to the swimming pool they used in the common wealth games, all the libraries, museums etc.

Manchester is second to only London in terms of facilities. We have everything including Selfridges and Harvey Nichols

There are loads of societies too, trust me if you're a student in Manchester you cannot get bored. I live at home and don't really get bored.
    is there any rivalry between the unis or do all the students get on well

ReputationRep:
    There seems to be quite a separation between Man Met/Manchester, but not Manchester and UMIST? Also, UMIST is actually just a dependency of Manchester, along with Leeds and Liverpool (mooha).

ReputationRep:
    There seems to be quite a separation between Man Met/Manchester, but not Manchester and UMIST? Also, UMIST is actually just a dependency of Manchester, along with Leeds and Liverpool (mooha).
    thats good, i will look forward to having a look around tomorrow. thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    Yep apparantly there are more students per 1sq mile in Manchester than anywhere else in Europe. No wonder considering we have at least 60,000 HE students.

ReputationRep:
    thats good, i will look forward to having a look around tomorrow. thanks for the help
    Emma, look for my post in the Uni subforum. For us Manc potentials.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Yep apparantly there are more students per 1sq mile in Manchester than anywhere else in Europe. No wonder considering we have at least 60,000 HE students.

Manchester has 120 000 registered, 30 000 full time, UMIST about half that I guess, Man Met the same, Salford is bloody massive, question is, do we count Bolton Institute? :P

ReputationRep:
    Manchester has 120 000 registered, 30 000 full time, UMIST about half that I guess, Man Met the same, Salford is bloody massive, question is, do we count Bolton Institute? :P
    Bolton are renegades, OF THEIR TIME AND AGE!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2004
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.