The Student Room Group

After a Kidney Infection

Anon please.

A few weeks ago, I got cystitis that then turned into a kidney infection. I had it for about 5 days before I could go to the Doctors so it got pretty bad. I was really ill with it and given antibiotics for 2 weeks. It's been nearly 2 weeks since I finished them and I can still "feel" my kidney if that makes sense. It's not really a pain, but I'm aware of it and it's just a kind of underlying niggle, sometimes it can be slightly painful but usually it's just that I'm aware of it.

Is this normal? Anyone else had the same?

My parents want me to go to the doctors again but I'm worried they'll think I'm just wasting their time if this is normal after an infection. I'm also on my period and part of what they look for when diagnosing a kidney infection is blood in the urine which there obviously would be.. I've got another 4 days till it'll be finished so I could probably wait till then.
Kidney infections are very serious and if you're feeling like that, then go to your GP. TSR is really not a place to look for medical advice
Reply 2
I'm going to go to the doctors, I just wanted other peoples experiences for now. There's nothing I can do till at least Monday because the doctors aren't open :smile:
Reply 3
Anyone else??
Original post by Anonymous
Anon please.

A few weeks ago, I got cystitis that then turned into a kidney infection. I had it for about 5 days before I could go to the Doctors so it got pretty bad. I was really ill with it and given antibiotics for 2 weeks. It's been nearly 2 weeks since I finished them and I can still "feel" my kidney if that makes sense. It's not really a pain, but I'm aware of it and it's just a kind of underlying niggle, sometimes it can be slightly painful but usually it's just that I'm aware of it.

My parents want me to go to the doctors again but I'm worried they'll think I'm just wasting their time if this is normal after an infection. I'm also on my period and part of what they look for when diagnosing a kidney infection is blood in the urine which there obviously would be.. I've got another 4 days till it'll be finished so I could probably wait till then.

Aw you poor thing! I had a kidney infection last year and was in agony. My antibiotics cleared it up after about 10 days but I was really exhausted and wiped out for a good week after.

Go to the doctor's - if there's something still wrong, then you can get it sorted. If not, at least you can put your mind at ease.

Take it really easy for the next few days, I hope you start feeling better very soon :smile:
Um...being on your period would not give you blood in your urine. It may look that way when you go to the loo, but you should be able to get a clean urine sample,esp if you use a tampon. Mention when you go to the dr that you're on your period (they'll prob ask) but don't let it put you off going. A slight pain remaining does not sound normal, it sounds like it hasn't completely gone, and will probably come back when you stop the antibiotics. You might need different antibiotics - when you went to the dr originally you prob had to give a urine sample - by now they'll hve tested it and KNOW which antibiotics will work, rather than guessing and giving you the most common ones as they would have done last time :smile:
Like everyone is saying, you should go back to the doctor. You won't be wasting their time; it's their job and they're paid for it, and you have a genuine concern. It could just be that the infection hasn't fully gone away, in which case they'll probably put you on another course of antibiotics until it clears. (I had to take antibiotics for almost a month with a chest infection... remembering to take them sucks, but it's nice to be well in the end).

Whilst waiting, have you tried using a hot-water bottle to try ease the pain a little? My mother gets kidney infections quite often, and it's how she eases the symptoms. I'd maybe avoid taking painkillers as well as they might aggravate it a little.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by itsgotrocksinit
Like everyone is saying, you should go back to the doctor. You won't be wasting their time; it's their job and they're paid for it, and you have a genuine concern. It could just be that the infection hasn't fully gone away, in which case they'll probably put you on another course of antibiotics until it clears. (I had to take antibiotics for almost a month with a chest infection... remembering to take them sucks, but it's nice to be well in the end).

Whilst waiting, have you tried using a hot-water bottle to try ease the pain a little? My mother gets kidney infections quite often, and it's how she eases the symptoms. I'd maybe avoid taking painkillers as well as they might aggravate it a little.

I have to disagree with the painkiller comment. When I had a kidney infection I was in EXCRUCIATING pain until I had taken painkillers, and then the pain would reduce by about 90% and actually allowed me to get around and do things. Without painkillers I would have been curled in a ball in pain for 5 days unable to do anything!
Original post by Anonymous
Anon please.

I'm recovering atm, on antibiotics for another 2 days and I still get occasional pains, they aren't constant though. I would go after your period stops, if it's still hurting then. In the meantime drink lots and lots of water lol :smile:
Original post by Hello_Kitty
I have to disagree with the painkiller comment. When I had a kidney infection I was in EXCRUCIATING pain until I had taken painkillers, and then the pain would reduce by about 90% and actually allowed me to get around and do things. Without painkillers I would have been curled in a ball in pain for 5 days unable to do anything!

I'm just saying from what my mother's been told. She was finding that paracetamol and ibuprofen were making it hurt more, so our doctor told her to not take them and to just use something warm to ease it.

Everybody is different, at the end of the day. Thankfully I've never had a kidney infection, but I get throat and chest ones a lot. Whilst throat lozenges work for everyone else -my brother swears by them- they always make my symptoms worse.
Reply 10
Original post by modgepodge
Um...being on your period would not give you blood in your urine. It may look that way when you go to the loo, but you should be able to get a clean urine sample,esp if you use a tampon. Mention when you go to the dr that you're on your period (they'll prob ask) but don't let it put you off going. A slight pain remaining does not sound normal, it sounds like it hasn't completely gone, and will probably come back when you stop the antibiotics. You might need different antibiotics - when you went to the dr originally you prob had to give a urine sample - by now they'll hve tested it and KNOW which antibiotics will work, rather than guessing and giving you the most common ones as they would have done last time :smile:

I finished the antibiotics 2 weeks ago and I had to contact the Dr's a week after the urine sample was taken and they confirmed I was on the right ones.

I'll go back to the doctors this week, just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced the same kind of thing. It's not really a pain, I can just kind of feel my kidney which I never could before :s-smilie:
Reply 11
Original post by itsgotrocksinit

At the moment, it's not at all bad enough to need pain killers. When I had the infection, I was on 2 paracetamol and 2 ibuprofen every 4 hours, if I hadn't been, I wouldn't have been able to move!
Reply 12
Ibuprofen and most NSAIDs can be harmful to the kidneys and that’s why you shouldn’t take those painkillers. You definitely should be on painkillers, however, such as a high strength Tylenol or the doctor can prescribe other analgesics that are not nephrotixic or harmful to the kidneys. Paracetamol should be good but just need to talk to your doctor.

Quick Reply

Latest