The Student Room Group

Scared about entering a relationship!?

I've never had a boyfriend, mainly by choice, I'm also scared to enter one and I'm afraid what my parents will think. I sometimes feel I'm losing my innocence if I get into a relationship. A relationship is an emotional burden and you must whole within yourself before you can carry the burden of another, right? I don't know if I ready, if I don't get myself out there will I ever be?

I stumbled across this really nice guy online (I had NO intention of finding a boyfriend online,,not sure about his motives though). Our liking for each other just blossomed although he says he mainly likes me for my looks but would like to meet me. I fancy him, I think about him all the time, we chat online, Facebook etc and he appears to be a decent chap. I must also mention we talk sometimes via video call, just before you guys accuse of my liking a 45 year old psychopathic rapist lol.

I'm have Christian values although I'm a very liberal theist, I believe I should only start dating/having sex if I'm in a serious relationship.

I'm scared about what my mother will think, she's a backwards, traditional Nigerian and the guy I like is white (although he knows a lot about the Nigerian culture), I don't think she'll be fond of the idea of me dating a white lad,,,even though she reassures me that it doesn't matter what colour he is as long as he's a genuine Christian or as she'd call it a 'child of God'. I say she won't be fond because there's a stereotype that white people aren't all that religious...well...compared to black people.

What should I do? What was your mind-set like when you entered your first relationship?
Reply 1
Sorry if what I've said had made little sense, it's a concoction of randomness.
Reply 2
do what your heart tells you, the person you end up being with is going to be in your future not your mothers, if you feel this guy is the one for you then go for it.

Also being religious is a individual thing, it has nothing to do with race, everyone has there own thoughts on it but of course Europeans growing up in a western culture will usually be a little less religious due to the society around them. But again there are some very religious people in Europe too.
Reply 3
I get how you feel, but I think the best thing to do is talk your mum about it, she'll let you know what she really thinks.

Sounds scary I know but I'm sure it'll help you :smile:
I would be concerned about the fact that he has openly said that he mostly likes you for your looks!
,not sure about his motives though). Our liking for each other just blossomed although he says he mainly likes me for my looks but would like to meet me

What are you not sure about? Sounds to me like he made his motives pretty clear... :curious:
Reply 6
Original post by hidehidehidehi
I would be concerned about the fact that he has openly said that he mostly likes you for your looks!

Well it's first impressions and he's attracted to me, he wants to meet me to get to know me.
Reply 7
Original post by Pink Bullets
What are you not sure about? Sounds to me like he made his motives pretty clear... :curious:

Whether he was intending to meet someone on-line.
Original post by Anonymous
Well it's first impressions and he's attracted to me, he wants to meet me to get to know me.

I know, but if he actually said that he's mainly interested in your looks then that's a bit different to saying he likes your looks and would like to get to know the rest of you! Just be careful that's all I'm saying :smile:
Reply 9
I feel the same way as you babe just do not tell your mom you have bf for a while.x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending