The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thatawesomekid
Do you know what would cause someone to be rejected without interview? Seeing as most applicants are interviewed

People who don't do three sciences/maths? (If thats still a thing), not meeting minimum requirements etc
Original post by thatawesomekid
Do you know what would cause someone to be rejected without interview? Seeing as most applicants are interviewed

Original post by CutieTootsie
If our BMAT's are shocking, then we'd get rejected I think. That's why I'm so nervous! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While it is true that some colleges (I'm looking at you Trinity! ;P) specify that good scores in the BMAT (especially in section 2) are highly encouraged and preferred, the wonderful thing about Cambridge is that they take a SUPER holistic approach to your whole application (much better than just about every other university out there, IMHO). Therefore, if your academic record is pristine (so loads of A*'s and A's already achieved and predicted for (a few B’s and C’s at GCSE aren’t the end of the world and won’t likely ruin your chances if you have all A’s at AS and A-level) - you MUST at least meet the entry standard of A*A*A although the majority of offer holders gain A*A*A*+), and you have some work experience and have shown that you have explored your interests (you could have mentioned this in your personal statement or on the SAQ form - like what sort of reading you've done or what your gap year plans are), and you have a very positive and raving reference (preferably from a teacher), and if you have had to overcome some personal challenges and submitted an Extenuating Circumstances form that shows that you managed to rise above those difficulties, then it wouldn't be very fair of Cambridge to dismiss ALL of that just because of an average BMAT score (it's not Oxford! lol ;D jk jk).

Those that get rejected before interview must have obtained poor grades or poor grade predictions that are below the standard entry offer of A*A*A. Or they had the wrong subject combinations (either not enough science subjects or too many art/soft subjects). That in conjection with not showing enough enthusiasm and interest in their chosen subject, AND getting low scores on admissions test would warrant a rejection without interview. Most applicants applying to Cambridge are aware of the universities standards and requirements, and therefore their applications are most likely on par with what Cambridge is looking for which is why 80-90% of applicants are interviewed. Sometimes it could also just be that those that applied on a whim did not end up submitted the correct forms and documents to their colleges on time (like transcripts, the SAQ form, fee status forms, additional essays or samples of their work etc.) and therefore their applications could not be processed further.

P.S. Sorry if the first paragraph is a bit hard to follow and is messy, but I am typing this on my phone and just wanted to address your concerns as soon as possible so that you wouldn’t worry too much about your chances of gaining a place which I am sure are perfectly fine :smile: Keep the Q’s coming! :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mackie1212
While it is true that some colleges (I'm looking at you Trinity! ;P) specify that good scores in the BMAT (especially in section 2) are highly encouraged and preferred, the wonderful thing about Cambridge is that they take a SUPER holistic approach to your whole application (much better than just about every other university out there, IMHO). Therefore, if your academic record is pristine (so loads of A*'s and A's already achieved and predicted for (a few B’s and C’s at GCSE aren’t the end of the world and won’t likely ruin your chances if you have all A’s at AS and A-level) - you MUST at least meet the entry standard of A*A*A although the majority of offer holders gain A*A*A*+), and you have some work experience and have shown that you have explored your interests (you could have mentioned this in your personal statement or on the SAQ form - like what sort of reading you've done or what your gap year plans are), and you have a very positive and raving reference (preferably from a teacher), and if you have had to overcome some personal challenges and submitted an Extenuating Circumstances form that shows that you managed to rise above those difficulties, then it wouldn't be very unfair of Cambridge to dismiss ALL of that just because of an average BMAT score (it's not Oxford! lol ;D jk jk).

Those that get rejected before interview must have obtained poor grades or have poor grade predictions that are below the standard entry offer of A*A*A. Or they had the wrong subject combinations (either not enough science subjects or too many art/soft subjects). That in conjection with not showing enough enthusiasm and interest in their chosen subject, AND getting low scores on admissions test would warrant a rejection without interview. Most applicants applying to Cambridge are aware of the universities standards and requirements, and therefore their applications are most likely on par with what Cambridge is looking for which is why 80-90% of applicants are interviewed. Sometimes it could also just be that those that applied on a whim did not end up submitted the correct forms and documents to their colleges on time (like transcripts, the SAQ form, fee status forms, additional essays or samples of their work etc.) and therefore their applications could not be processed further.

P.S. Sorry if the first paragraph is a bit hard to follow and is messy, but I am typing this on my phone and just wanted to address your concerns as soon as possible so that you wouldn’t worry too much about your chances of gaining a place which I am sure are perfectly fine :smile: Keep the Q’s coming! :biggrin:

you're awesome. thanks for the reassurance!
Original post by mackie1212
While it is true that some colleges (I'm looking at you Trinity! ;P) specify that good scores in the BMAT (especially in section 2) are highly encouraged and preferred, the wonderful thing about Cambridge is that they take a SUPER holistic approach to your whole application (much better than just about every other university out there, IMHO). Therefore, if your academic record is pristine (so loads of A*'s and A's already achieved and predicted for (a few B’s and C’s at GCSE aren’t the end of the world and won’t likely ruin your chances if you have all A’s at AS and A-level) - you MUST at least meet the entry standard of A*A*A although the majority of offer holders gain A*A*A*+), and you have some work experience and have shown that you have explored your interests (you could have mentioned this in your personal statement or on the SAQ form - like what sort of reading you've done or what your gap year plans are), and you have a very positive and raving reference (preferably from a teacher), and if you have had to overcome some personal challenges and submitted an Extenuating Circumstances form that shows that you managed to rise above those difficulties, then it wouldn't be very unfair of Cambridge to dismiss ALL of that just because of an average BMAT score (it's not Oxford! lol ;D jk jk).

Those that get rejected before interview must have obtained poor grades or have poor grade predictions that are below the standard entry offer of A*A*A. Or they had the wrong subject combinations (either not enough science subjects or too many art/soft subjects). That in conjection with not showing enough enthusiasm and interest in their chosen subject, AND getting low scores on admissions test would warrant a rejection without interview. Most applicants applying to Cambridge are aware of the universities standards and requirements, and therefore their applications are most likely on par with what Cambridge is looking for which is why 80-90% of applicants are interviewed. Sometimes it could also just be that those that applied on a whim did not end up submitted the correct forms and documents to their colleges on time (like transcripts, the SAQ form, fee status forms, additional essays or samples of their work etc.) and therefore their applications could not be processed further.

Thank you so much! My stress level has reduced significantly 👍

Also, what do you know about Pembroke fro medicine? (If anything)
(edited 7 years ago)
Does anyone know what college I should apply to with an 86% percent average?
hi i am looking to apply to downing for medicine and was wondering if you could give e some tips or stuff you know now that you didn't know before
Reply 286
this thread had been super helpful.
i was hoping to find a college that didn't mind bad bmat scores that mcuh but I guess that was wishful thinking... :frown:

I was alos wondering, is there any point point in my applying for Cambridge for medicine if I failed my BMAT, my score is way below the cut offs?
I am predicted 43 points at IB and have 11 A*s at GCSE
Please help
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 288
Thank-you so much!
(edited 5 years ago)
Hey guys,
Does anyone know by any chance how “valuable” a strong BMAT is in the eyes of, say, Trinity? That is, how much would it boost your chances to have 7+ in both sections?
Has anyone heard back from any Cambridge colleges on whether that have an jntervint or not?
Original post by Officialdixit
Has anyone heard back from any Cambridge colleges on whether that have an jntervint or not?

yes - emmanuel college sent me an interview the day before bmat results were released
Original post by kursk1896
yes - emmanuel college sent me an interview the day before bmat results were released

Oh nice, I'm just hoping Fitzwilliam is a bit slower than the rest then

Latest

Trending

Trending