Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    iv got offered a place there to study IT, readin your comments about it, im having second thoughts on whether to go there or not. is it really that ****?

ReputationRep:
    It is good. It may not make the second tier, but it is respectable. Go there if you want to.

J.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    It is good. It may not make the second tier, but it is respectable. Go there if you want to.

J.
    wat u meen second tier?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigga)
    wat u meen second tier?
    It means its not in the premier league of universities........

ReputationRep:
    It is a very decent university. But it is always undersubsribed and lacks funding. Plus it's in Tower Hamlets, a rather deprived borough in London. I'd go there if it came to it.

ReputationRep:
    my brother went there
    i have to say he found it the worst three years of his life. the reasons why it is crap

Are u muslim/indian/eastender if not u wont fit in
    its a dump in mile end(the crapest part of london)
    just walk down to bethnal green (stolen goods galore) not a good site
    not many attractive people
    there are plenty of mosques
    expensive for what it is
    u will never find a job
    employers will discrimate against u (more likely to think of it St mary's comprehensive)
    if u are going to london go to either ucl,kings,imperial,ebs, city these are the best for employment
    unless u want to have only indian friends with turbans and big fat moustaches avoid at all costs.If u survive this place and come out normal then u are a god.
    u might as well not bother going to university then go here
    graduation ia a joke of an occasion, they kick u out after 1 hour and then say they have another graduation party coming in. It is suppose the climax of university life and they treat u like crap. Words of advice
    NEVER GO TO QUEEN MARY. (ITS CRAP)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabsuk)
    my brother went there
    i have to say he found it the worst three years of his life. the reasons why it is crap

Are u muslim/indian/eastender if not u wont fit in
    its a dump in mile end(the crapest part of london)
    just walk down to bethnal green (stolen goods galore) not a good site
    not many attractive people
    there are plenty of mosques
    expensive for what it is
    u will never find a job
    employers will discrimate against u (more likely to think of it St mary's comprehensive)
    if u are going to london go to either ucl,kings,imperial,ebs, city these are the best for employment
    unless u want to have only indian friends with turbans and big fat moustaches avoid at all costs.If u survive this place and come out normal then u are a god.
    graduation ia a joke of an occasion, they kick u out after 1 hour and then say they have another graduation party coming in. It is suppose the climax of university life and they treat u like crap. Words of advice
    This contribution is frankly so ignorant it's a caricature (maybe deliberately so). Far from being a wasteland the area around QM is extremely vibrant: Brick Lane, Spitalfields and Petticoat Lane are just a short walk away. People come from all over the world to visit those three places, and for that matter it's also just a short walk to Tower Bridge and the Tower of London, and East London is now a regeneration area. This part of East London is historically fascinating, with lots of curious little highways and byways. Of course there's crime and deprivation, but trust me the modern yob is a mobile creature and you can even get mugged in Hampstead-where are these idyllic crime free places? A short tube journey away there are some nice student residences in leafy South Woodford, although there are also plenty of on-campus residences, especially along the newly regenerated canal, with its park.And there's a cultural buzz: East London now has more artists living there, I am repeatedly told, than Paris (studio space is relatively cheap).

The college itself is academically solid, with one or two academic stars, such as Lisa Jardine in the history of ideas, and Peter Hennessy in politics/contemporary history. The English dept is well known and it has a strong presence in the world of science, technology and medicine (big tie ups with London University medical colleges). It's also known for law and foreign languages.

The Asian issue: this deserves a (non-racist) thread of its own. Yes, QM does attract many very visible Asian students, but quite why this should be such an issue is beyond me: they work hard and generally don't cause trouble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabsuk)
    my brother went there

u will never find a job
    QM is betta then city tho, wat u meen its crap? why will employers discriminate? better to have a degree then no degree rite?

QM is betta then city tho, wat u meen its crap? why will employers discriminate? better to have a degree then no degree rite?
    in order of rep for london uni's it goes imperial/lse, ucl, kings,rh, qm, ...then brunel/city, goldsmiths, kingston, guildhall, westminster, unl, uel etc

there are many worse uni's, if qm wasn't in london it probably would be on a par with reading, lancaster,sussex, liverpool perhaps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    in order of rep for london uni's it goes imperial/lse, ucl, kings,rh, qm, ...then brunel/city, goldsmiths, kingston, guildhall, westminster, unl, uel etc

there are many worse uni's, if qm wasn't in london it probably would be on a par with reading, lancaster,sussex, liverpool perhaps
    so if i get a decent degree in QM i will be sorted in the future yes? kings dont do my course or i wud have applied der, so QM was like the next best choice. ive got offered a place from brunel and city, but people are saying that QM is the best one.

so if i get a decent degree in QM i will be sorted in the future yes? kings dont do my course or i wud have applied der, so QM was like the next best choice. ive got offered a place from brunel and city, but people are saying that QM is the best one.
    out of those three, yes qm is def your best choice, what course are you taking there? as long as you get a 2.1 you should be okay i guess...

ReputationRep:
    I would rather go to a better uni like UCL, LSE or King's through clearing (if it was possible) than go to Queen Mary's with an unconditional offer. It's located in a grotty part of London which is why it puts me off. And there are no buses which go straight to there from where I live.

ReputationRep:
    you can get very good bagels in brick lane though - trad jewish style. Not to mention a wealth of good curry-houses in the area.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byakugan_neji)
    I would rather go to a better uni like UCL, LSE or King's through clearing (if it was possible) than go to Queen Mary's with an unconditional offer. It's located in a grotty part of London which is why it puts me off. And there are no buses which go straight to there from where I live.
    I appreciate your viewpoint, but you can't get into LSE through clearing, it doesn't do clearing..and I'm fascinated by the role of the London bus system in university choice..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.A.S Hewins)
    I appreciate your viewpoint, but you can't get into LSE through clearing, it doesn't do clearing..and I'm fascinated by the role of the London bus system in university choice..
    Be as fascinated as you want but I was just saying there are no buses which go straight to it, not why I prefer the others to Queen Mary. And yes, I was pretty aware myself that you can't get into LSE through clearing. I was referring to others and must have jumbled up my sentence.

ReputationRep:
    No i wouldn't say you'll be "sorted" for the future. I don't think you can say this about any university degree be it LSE or TVU. You're not your degree. But I'd say a degree may be more useful for employment prospects if you get a decent class. Then again degrees are just all too common, excess supply excess supply!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    No i wouldn't say you'll be "sorted" for the future. I don't think you can say this about any university degree be it LSE or TVU. You're not your degree. But I'd say a degree may be more useful for employment prospects if you get a decent class. Then again degrees are just all too common, excess supply excess supply!!
    iv made my mind up, im hedin QM.

ReputationRep:
    Listen to Hewins, s/he speaks sense.

You didn’t say what you are going to be studying at QM, but certainly it is a more than respectable uni for medicine and law. But like most unis, you’d have to get at least a solid/high 2:1 if you want to enter a competitive profession.

East London is definitely the trendiest place to be, if you care about that sort of thing. You’ll find both City yuppies and suspect media/artist-types in and around Brick Lane and Dizzee Rascal has made Bow famous

People who are racist/xenophobic/only want to hang around white people, shouldn’t come to a London uni and we certainly don’t want those sort around here anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byakugan_neji)
    Try the Tube, Stepney Green or Mile End station. Or the number 25 bus, probably the longest bus route in the city so it should be accessible to you somewhere.

I take it you're living at home, but I'll make the point that QM is usually undersubscribed and can offer everyone accommodation...

(Original post by ZJuwelH)
    Try the Tube, Stepney Green or Mile End station. Or the number 25 bus, probably the longest bus route in the city so it should be accessible to you somewhere.

I take it you're living at home, but I'll make the point that QM is usually undersubscribed and can offer everyone accommodation...
    i loved the number 25, ilford to oxford street for 70p baaargain!

now £1 though, *******s!

hmm be warned if you are in london they will be *very* tight with accomodation, i know two qm-ers living at home but that might partly have been their choice(or their parents :rolleyes: )

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.