Dinodance
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
OK I'll be starting sixth form in a year so I know I've got ages to decide, but I'm really stuck on this.

Sociology looks fascinating, and I'd love to study it. I've done my research on TSR, and found that people say it's really good, even though it's hard, as it's learning loads of facts you are not going to need in the exam I've also found that massive thread where people are saying "sosheoligee iz nawt a reel subject" and not giving very good reasons to why that may be (Sorry if you think like that! That's just what it appeared to be like on that thread).

My problem is that I don't know if I would be lowering my chances on getting the degree I want by taking it! As of now, I would like to study History at university; my other A-level choices are English Lit. and Classical Civilisation. History's really competitive, and I don't want to not get on it because my A-level choices; I'm not too bothered about if it's "soft" or "hard" (It was in the middle on the Cambridge list anyway, so it's not like I'm taking Travel and Tourism) but I don't know how well Sociology compliments History. Is that a really random subject to take? It's apparently a social science, but I have no clue what that is; do they work with humanities?

Also, I might go to college and find I don't like History any more, so I might want to take my other subjects at uni instead. So how well would Sociology work with my other subjects? And if I in fact wanted to take Sociology at uni, would my other subjects work with it? I'm really confused about this!

Finally - is Sociology really not very respected? Some places I've looked say Sociology's a good subject to have, others say it's not :confused: Please explain why it's not a good subject to have!
Oh and if I don't take Sociology, what should I take? I find Maths, Science, and foreign languages so difficult, so don't suggest that!

Help please! Don't be too mean to me :banana2::banana2:
bramz19
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you want to do it and you find it interesting, do it. My telling you I have formed the opinion that it's not as respected as other subjects will only incur the collective wrath of the "sociologists" of TSR and undoubtedly sound "too mean". Besides, it sounds like you've already made your mind up anyway, and your other subjects are top notch.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I did it at gcse and a-level. I really enjoyed it and found it really interesting.
Actually, it was the subject i got my best grade in at a-level.
Id say go for it. I wouldnt be put off by what other people say.
pinkbullets
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I also did Sociology a-level, as well as History. They did work well together because they are both very essay based subjects so when you're learning the best way to construct an essay in one, your knowledge can be carried over to the other. I enjoyed sociology and found it interesting. Although it wasn't as difficult ad history and English literature, it was by no means easy. No universities that I applied to last year seemed overly concerned by me taking sociology. It's not like taking General Studies, you do have to put a lot of work into it to get the grade you want. But if you don't take sociology I recommend Psychology, which was also very interesting.
DustBowlDance
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I too did it at GCSE and am continuing it on at A2 . If you want to do it, do it! I think it would be a good subject for History because it is essay-based and it does compliment humanities well. If you decided History wasn't for you, then because it's a social science, there are many other options open to you such as Law and of course Sociology.

You have to take what TSR members say with a pinch of salt OP, because most of the people who say slam the subject are those who have never even done it. Doing Sociology will not stop you from applying to good universities, and from looking through prospectuses, Sociology is never a blacklisted subject.

You could take Psychology, Geography or Philosophy (and Ethics)?
Ras17
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Dinodance)
OK I'll be starting sixth form in a year so I know I've got ages to decide, but I'm really stuck on this.

Sociology looks fascinating, and I'd love to study it. I've done my research on TSR, and found that people say it's really good, even though it's hard, as it's learning loads of facts you are not going to need in the exam I've also found that massive thread where people are saying "sosheoligee iz nawt a reel subject" and not giving very good reasons to why that may be (Sorry if you think like that! That's just what it appeared to be like on that thread).

My problem is that I don't know if I would be lowering my chances on getting the degree I want by taking it! As of now, I would like to study History at university; my other A-level choices are English Lit. and Classical Civilisation. History's really competitive, and I don't want to not get on it because my A-level choices; I'm not too bothered about if it's "soft" or "hard" (It was in the middle on the Cambridge list anyway, so it's not like I'm taking Travel and Tourism) but I don't know how well Sociology compliments History. Is that a really random subject to take? It's apparently a social science, but I have no clue what that is; do they work with humanities?

Also, I might go to college and find I don't like History any more, so I might want to take my other subjects at uni instead. So how well would Sociology work with my other subjects? And if I in fact wanted to take Sociology at uni, would my other subjects work with it? I'm really confused about this!

Finally - is Sociology really not very respected? Some places I've looked say Sociology's a good subject to have, others say it's not :confused: Please explain why it's not a good subject to have!
Oh and if I don't take Sociology, what should I take? I find Maths, Science, and foreign languages so difficult, so don't suggest that!

Help please! Don't be too mean to me :banana2::banana2:
Sociology A - Level is interesting to some, not very much to others. It's not the hardes A - Level you will do, but it does require dedication to remember names, concepts and studies.

Take it if you have one or two strong subjects such as English Lit, Maths, Sciences, Geography, History etc
screenager2004
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Sociology complements history very well. It will be really relevant to your degree choice. I did it at A level, if you have any questions. I enjoyed it very much (obviously since I continued it at university!)
lacelicker
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have done it at AS - and I'm carrying it on, I love it and would really recommend it, I've found that aside from a load of names, dates and case studies that you must learn, most of it is really fascinating stuff, that makes you see things in life differently.

I see things in the news and politics differently, and I have found a whole host of things that really interest me in the wider world, while it doesn't really affect my job choices, I'm pleased I did it as I think it makes me a better student geneerally.

Do it if it interests you - that's the most important thing!
Dinodance
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by DustBowlDance)
(and Ethics)?
You are forced to take Ethics at my college anyway, so wohoo!

Thanks everyone for your opinions, they have all made me feel a lot better
alexsasg
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm doing it right now at A-level (and applying to study sociology at uni!) so I think I'm in a good position to reply.

1) Sociology is VERY interesting. I love it. I wouldn't be hoping to study it at uni if i didn't think so.

2) It will actually go very well with your subject combos, since it's more essay-based. It does tie in very well with History, especially when you come onto Marxism etc.

3) It isn't a "mickey mouse degree". If it was, would it be offered at universities like Cambridge? (yes, I am aware the course is actually politics, psych and sociology) Unfortunately there is this idea that it's a pointless subject - it's not. I'm not claiming it's on the same level as chemistry or maths, of course it's not, but it's still a very good subject to study.

4) It won't disadvantage you, your other subjects are considered very academic. And like you said, it's not travel and tourism!

5) If you want to study it, go ahead. Honestly, don't listen to people and their stupid misinformed opinions. It's your life - live it!

Hope that helps and good luck whether you decide to study it or not (hopefully the former )
Kelly95
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by alexsasg)
I'm doing it right now at A-level (and applying to study sociology at uni!) so I think I'm in a good position to reply.

1) Sociology is VERY interesting. I love it. I wouldn't be hoping to study it at uni if i didn't think so.

2) It will actually go very well with your subject combos, since it's more essay-based. It does tie in very well with History, especially when you come onto Marxism etc.

3) It isn't a "mickey mouse degree". If it was, would it be offered at universities like Cambridge? (yes, I am aware the course is actually politics, psych and sociology) Unfortunately there is this idea that it's a pointless subject - it's not. I'm not claiming it's on the same level as chemistry or maths, of course it's not, but it's still a very good subject to study.

4) It won't disadvantage you, your other subjects are considered very academic. And like you said, it's not travel and tourism!

5) If you want to study it, go ahead. Honestly, don't listen to people and their stupid misinformed opinions. It's your life - live it!

Hope that helps and good luck whether you decide to study it or not (hopefully the former )
Don't worry if not but would you be willing to give me a little bit of advice and answer my question which you will find on this link: (if it works!)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1781949

I have literally just started A Level Sociology and need a bit of help! Thank you soooo much if you do!
oliemarles
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Humanities and Social sciences compliment each other. As on my second year of A-Levels (A2) and taking Sociology and Geography I can say both are essay orientated. My friend does History, Sociology and Government and Politics and finds there are major overlaps between the subjects and the way they are examined! Also with English Lit, you will look into the theories that you study in sociology (eg, Marxist and Feminist theory within King Lear) so I would say that yes, sociology is a good choice to take alongside History and CC. Sociology is hard, and don't take it lightly like many people do!
NadaAndrea
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Does anyone know if I can take Sociology as a direct A level without taking the o level? I need to take loads of A levels and do you know subjects that can be taken directly as an A level without needing to take it's o level?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads