The Student Room Group

The TSR Tamil Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by marijuana
Actually, private institutions do offer tamil at A/AS level and O level. I believe edexcel offer the qualification and it would be regarded as an equivelant of any other exam at the same level. You even get UCAS points for it :biggrin: However, it isn't considered a "modern" foreign language, which might be more valuable for eg. an employer or uni
However, only a minimal number of people take up the opportunity, as most people drop out of tamil school after a few years. coz of that, the number of candidates per year is so low, it isn't recognised that well.
Any secondary school student can ask their exams office to enter them for a tamil exam privately and every year its nice to see more and more students taking up the opportunity.

Haha yea, i was forced to go tamil school at first, but after being there for a while and making friends there, it was quite enjoyable :biggrin:
Most of the people that I know who went to my tamil school were forced into it but ended up liking it :smile:

:biggrin: well i guess inside pehaps all you guys felt at ease speaking a lang that comes to the tongue very easily, though it may not appear so straightforward on the outside :smile: ..... i study molecular biology and genetics, and a lot of studies have shown the genetic basis for ppl feeling comfortable in a lang of their parents, despite living in a place where almost none of it is spoken, and the person himself/herself feels that the lang is tough and doesnt want to learn it. But when the person keeps an open mind, and starts speaking it, he/she will find how much comfortable they r when speaking it. Ofcourse there are exception too :P
Reply 581
Original post by pop101
Ah, wow, the times have really moved on then, I guess I was wrong :colondollar:. But I have heard of Tamil grading (similar to that of music) but I guess very few people actually take Tamil GCSE as I've never heard of it :eek:
Yeah, I guess it could never be considered a modern language considering it is classical :biggrin:

Yeah, it couldnt be considered a modern language surely. But tamil as a classical language atleast deserves some respect for just being alive for so long. I always see this situation in terms of science fiction movies :P Imagine there was a time machine, and we go back in time, for example lets say to the era or Leonidas, king of Sparta :P ...... the only ppl with whom we could converse atleast to an extent in the ancient world in that time would be the tamil ppl in 500 B.C :biggrin: the greek and chinese lang spoken now, have become too deviated from the older forms. Thayir sadham/Curd rice in 2012 A.D and in 500 B.C doesnt have much of a deviation as seen with other languages. .... imagine having Curd rice/tamarind rice in 500 B.C lol :P ..... i hope every1 here knows those dishes .... i dunno if you guys in the UK get to eat them often there :smile:

Inspite of being born and brought up in India, i didnt learn tamil in school ! My compulsory language subj was english and my 2nd language was Hindi. My mum taught me the basics and i learnt on my own by reading tamil classics in english with tamil translation. My fav is Ponniyin Selvan, if you guys havent heard of it, its about the life story of the most famous chozhan king and about his dynasty.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 582
Original post by pradeep
Yeah, it couldnt be considered a modern language surely. But tamil as a classical language atleast deserves some respect for just being alive for so long. I always see this situation in terms of science fiction movies :P Imagine there was a time machine, and we go back in time, for example lets say to the era or Leonidas, king of Sparta :P ...... the only ppl with whom we could converse atleast to an extent in the ancient world in that time would be the tamil ppl in 500 B.C about the life story of the most famous chozhan king and about his dynasty.

OK, yeah I have definitely heard of Tamarind rice :smile: but I normally just call it lemon rice :biggrin:

I think Latin, Sanskrit and Ancient Greek could also be used to communicate with the people of ancient civilization.
Reply 583
Original post by pop101
OK, yeah I have definitely heard of Tamarind rice :smile: but I normally just call it lemon rice :biggrin:

I think Latin, Sanskrit and Ancient Greek could also be used to communicate with the people of ancient civilization.

:biggrin: Lemon rice is yellow in colour :biggrin: and tamarind rice also called puliyodharai, is like deep reddish brown :smile:

Yeah, but is latin, sanskrit and ancient greek spoken today by atleast a few, let alone millions speaking them ? They are now like historical artefacts from museums that only exist in paper. The only current usage of latin is in taxonomy :smile: Homo sapiens sapiens for example :smile: And beyond that m sure latin's usage is rare if not nil :smile: if you have studied tamil m sure, it will have included a small section about the long endurance of the language through history :smile: did you study tamil as a language ? :smile:
Reply 584
Original post by pradeep
:biggrin: Lemon rice is yellow in colour :biggrin: and tamarind rice also called puliyodharai, is like deep reddish brown :smile:

Yeah, but is latin, sanskrit and ancient greek spoken today by atleast a few, let alone millions speaking them ? They are now like historical artefacts from museums that only exist in paper. The only current usage of latin is in taxonomy :smile: Homo sapiens sapiens for example :smile: And beyond that m sure latin's usage is rare if not nil :smile: if you have studied tamil m sure, it will have included a small section about the long endurance of the language through history :smile: did you study tamil as a language ? :smile:

You can't speak Latin as no one actually knows how to :biggrin: but you do study it as well as Ancient Greek. Obviously all the European languages and Italian are 'descendants' of Latin and modern Greek to Ancient Greek.
Ah, yeah I realize I got it wrong (the tamarind and lemon) :colondollar: But I haven't had tamarind rice in a long time .
And no, I didn't study Tamil as a language in school , just spoke and learnt some (from my family) at a young age (and occasionally use some Tamil words now).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by pradeep
Oh angaya :smile: nice ..... yeah E.A is quite massive, another mall is coming up or maybe already come up, thats bigger than E.A i think ..... i dont care much for malls though ...... makes me feel constricted/claustrophobic ! lack of open space la, tats y :smile: ...... actually m going to sheffield for my masters :smile: so not that young :P !

Sounds cool, will have to check it out nextt time :smile:
so what are you going to study? lol
Reply 586
Original post by pop101
You can't speak Latin as no one actually knows how to :biggrin: but you do study it as well as Ancient Greek. Obviously all the European languages and Italian are 'descendants' of Latin and modern Greek to Ancient Greek.
Ah, yeah I realize I got it wrong (the tamarind and lemon) :colondollar: But I haven't had tamarind rice in a long time .
And no, I didn't study Tamil as a language in school , just spoke and learnt some (from my family) at a young age (and occasionally use some Tamil words now).

Yeah, though first i want that time machine :biggrin: ...... another interesting thing abt similarities in languages worldwide i noticed was that, tamil was so similar to japanese, and german to hindi. I learnt both during and before my undergrad :smile: there was this semma example, morimoto in japanese sounds so similar to marimuthu in tamil :biggrin: plus tamil and japanese share the aspect of not having to define objects in terms of gender, whereas in german and hindi its an abs must !! Das book for ex. whereas in tamil a book is just pusthagam, doesnt have any gender defining it :smile: although i must say the japanese script was kinda mind boggling at first and it tuk some time to write it :biggrin:

Anybody can eat lemon rice, its soft and mild on the tongue :smile: ..... but tamarind rice should be attempted only by those who have a strong tongue :biggrin:

On a different note, Do you know how long it takes, to drive from manchester to london ? or by train ?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 587
Original post by tamil4
Sounds cool, will have to check it out nextt time :smile:
so what are you going to study? lol

i think i was wrong, the mall i thought is not bigger than E.A. express avenue is the biggest still :P i was thinking abt ramee mall, which turned out to be puny compared to the 1.75 million sq.ft sized express avenue mall :P , and apparently the chinese have a mall thats 7 million sq.ft, so even E.A is dwarfed :P

Ennoda course name sonna, at first glance sathyamaa puriyaadhu :P its called MSc Mechanistic biology. (see i told ya :biggrin: lol )

simple ah sollanumna, it has biology+maths+physics+comp-programming.
Are Malayalees welcome? :0
Reply 589
Original post by sellerofdreams

Hi sugamaano ? :smile: thangalude peru enthaanu ? .... ( thats all the malayalam i know :tongue: )
Reply 590
Original post by pradeep

Anybody can eat lemon rice, its soft and mild on the tongue :smile: ..... but tamarind rice should be attempted only by those who have a strong tongue :biggrin:

On a different note, Do you know how long it takes, to drive from manchester to london ? or by train ?

A bit random but it takes I think just over 2 hours by train :smile:
Yeah, I prefer lemon rice but I think yoghurt rice is the better than tamarind rice :biggrin: (I don't know the Tamil name for it though)
Original post by pop101
Yeah, I prefer lemon rice but I think yoghurt rice is the better than tamarind rice :biggrin: (I don't know the Tamil name for it though)

THAYIR SAATHAM!!! <3

Original post by pradeep
i think i was wrong, the mall i thought is not bigger than E.A. express avenue is the biggest still :P i was thinking abt ramee mall, which turned out to be puny compared to the 1.75 million sq.ft sized express avenue mall :P , and apparently the chinese have a mall thats 7 million sq.ft, so even E.A is dwarfed :P

Ennoda course name sonna, at first glance sathyamaa puriyaadhu :P its called MSc Mechanistic biology. (see i told ya :biggrin: lol )

simple ah sollanumna, it has biology+maths+physics+comp-programming.

oh haha yeah i didn't understand it before lol
wow man you must be clever! haha when do you start?

hey :smile:
mallus are awesome! is there not a mallu soc on tsr?
Yay hahah I am welcome!
Nope, I'm assuming malayalees are a rare breed on tsr.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 593
Original post by pop101

Yeah thayir sadham :biggrin: have that with pickles (oorgaai in tamil) that your mum makes at home (not the ready made pickles, they suck !), and i must say thats like a sooooper combo :biggrin: !
Reply 594
Original post by tamil4
THAYIR SAATHAM!!! <3

oh haha yeah i didn't understand it before lol
wow man you must be clever! haha when do you start?

hey :smile:
mallus are awesome! is there not a mallu soc on tsr?

Yeah :biggrin: i tried to make a b'day cake out of curd rice with mangaa pickles on top of the rice cake surrounding the candles. It was the mother of sodhappals, even bigger sodhappal than that movie "kadhalil sodhappuvadhu eppadi" :biggrin:

Lol, my senior who just finished the course (he's from china), told me he still dint know what the course name means :biggrin: ..... well i hope to study the course and THEN try becoming clever :tongue: lol

Course starts from the 24th of sept, but i'm arriving at sheffield on the 10th of sept, coz i have the orientation programme for overseas students from 10th to 15th :smile: We have a VIP function or something where we can wear our ethnic dress, so planning on putting on the veshti along with a couple of friends :tongue: :biggrin: although without an aruvaal, the dress will seem kinda a letdown :tongue:
Reply 595
Yay hahah I am welcome!
Nope, I'm assuming malayalees are a rare breed on tsr.

Welcome :biggrin: When i joined the TSR, i couldnt believe there would be tamilians. I thought many of them will be like older ppl in jobs and didnt have time for social networking :tongue: ..... this forum proved me wrong and others too.

I am not an expert, but i thought generally malayalees went to the middle east, especially dubai and oman ? :smile: its indeed rare to find them in the UK :smile: You are from India ? :smile:
Original post by pradeep
Yeah :biggrin: i tried to make a b'day cake out of curd rice with mangaa pickles on top of the rice cake surrounding the candles. It was the mother of sodhappals, even bigger sodhappal than that movie "kadhalil sodhappuvadhu eppadi" :biggrin:

Lol, my senior who just finished the course (he's from china), told me he still dint know what the course name means :biggrin: ..... well i hope to study the course and THEN try becoming clever :tongue: lol

Course starts from the 24th of sept, but i'm arriving at sheffield on the 10th of sept, coz i have the orientation programme for overseas students from 10th to 15th :smile: We have a VIP function or something where we can wear our ethnic dress, so planning on putting on the veshti along with a couple of friends :tongue: :biggrin: although without an aruvaal, the dress will seem kinda a letdown :tongue:

haha a thayirsaatham cake? puthusaa irukke! aah i like that movie, siddharth and amala paul <3 :colondollar:
i bet you are clever though, isn't it like really competitive for overseas students to study here?
lol yeh veshti, aruvaal, massive moustache is the perfect combo haha! virumaandi style :P
Original post by pradeep
Welcome :biggrin: When i joined the TSR, i couldnt believe there would be tamilians. I thought many of them will be like older ppl in jobs and didnt have time for social networking :tongue: ..... this forum proved me wrong and others too.

I am not an expert, but i thought generally malayalees went to the middle east, especially dubai and oman ? :smile: its indeed rare to find them in the UK :smile: You are from India ? :smile:

You're right, they usually go to the middle east. I'm not in the uk though, I live in Malaysia.

Reply 598
Original post by tamil4
haha a thayirsaatham cake? puthusaa irukke! aah i like that movie, siddharth and amala paul <3 :colondollar:
i bet you are clever though, isn't it like really competitive for overseas students to study here?
lol yeh veshti, aruvaal, massive moustache is the perfect combo haha! virumaandi style :P

yeah, just experimenting anyway :tongue: it comes in handy, when you need to live in self-catered acc. Like mee ! I just hope i can get some of the ingredients reqd to make food like sambhar, rasam, etc in shops in sheffield though.

Its best that one does not say oneself is clever, which will make it seem that, oneself is boasting :tongue: yeah it is quite competitve, but i m not that bad in english, so writing a statement of purpose was a breeze and the informal interview i had with a University representative ,went quite well (now tats intentional boasting :tongue: ) overseas students coming to the UK need to write and get a good score in the IELTS test conducted by cambridge esol. u heard of it ? though i think you will surely not need it :tongue:

yeah :tongue: but since my moustache is pretty much non-existant, i hope there are some wig shops in sheffield where i can borrow a handlebar moustache perhaps !

On a general note, most of the hindu temples like murugan temples,etc that tamils usually go to, are located in the london area only right ? i mean are there a few temples up north ? or are they non-existant ? (dno if u r a hindu, if u r not i'll b getting a big bulb ! :tongue: )
Reply 599
You're right, they usually go to the middle east. I'm not in the uk though, I live in Malaysia.

Oooh malaysia eh, nice :smile: so are you like gonna come to the UK for college or something ? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending